• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Book Suggestions

You quote me, yet the only comic book suggested was by buffalowinter up above (calvin and hobbs), which you liked.
Do you know where your cat is ?
Have to say that because it makes as much sense as you .
Turn your sarcasm meter on

How did I miss this thread in January?

first off - I used to teach Leadership and Team Building in the corporate world and have an entire leadership reading list, but what follows is what I prefer for fun:

I have several books on the shelf just so I can re-read them every few years: Hitchhikers Guide (Whole series), LeCarre's Karla series (though just about any of his early stuff is great), Enders Game, and I ran through Asimov's full Foundation series in January & February.

For a change of pace: I highly recommend Righteous Minds by Jonathan Haidt; I've given a copy or two of this one away to people who think somewhat differently than me - in hopes we might meet in the middle . . . In one case I said, "Read this and we'll reconvene after."

Madness of Crowds by Douglas Murray, and I just finished his Death of Europe -- worth mentioning that as I read Death of Europe I kept thinking that throughout you could have replaced "Europe" with "America" and the story would be the nearly identical. Waiting for my turn at the library on his latest - War on the west.

Once you get through Peterson's first 12 rules, get his next book. Though I read his first book - Maps of Meaning - it was a SLOG. I found myself reading single paragraphs six or more times and often still probably missed lots of stuff. The man's a genius, and he didn't write that first book for us mere mortals . . .

And whether you read it regularly or hardly ever, at least once in your life your should read the Bible in chronological order. The history/story makes SO much more sense that way but wow- you sure do skip around doing it! I recommend getting a Bible already laid out that way as trying to skip around with any other Bible would have driven me nuts.

I've got the first four of the FoxFire series on the shelf and just thumbed through those again for fun. I've got the rest of the series on my kids' "what can we get dad?" list.

I have a long list of books I'd like to read - and this thread has added a few!

And finally - awaiting the day when i've got lots of time on my hands: Churchill's entire Second World War seres. Next time through it I'm going to put an 8 foot by 12 foot map of pre-war Europe on the wall and sit in front of that when I read his books.

34C77405-103A-48E2-B3C5-4272DDF2D778.jpgFun look at the Paratroopers' experience. Not much has changed for them either.

This is the book so embraced by Project Appleseed. It is a far more in depth and accurate accounting of what started the revolutionary war.

I think The D was being facetious.

Knowledge is indeed power. Wisdom is knowing when to assert that power.

Like mikeshaw2 I also have books from middle and high school; but I've been reading military history since grade school. I've replaced some paperbacks with hardcover (superior paper). Von der Porten's The German Navy in the Second World War or Robert Crisp' Brazen Chariots come to mind. It wasn't until high school that The Rommel Papers became available to me and I bought it (still have it). One book I read in high school was Walther Craig's Enemy at the Gates. Many decades later I discuss that sniping incident in my own book (WW II Snipers from Casemate) and reveal other things about Zaitsev (he shot Soviet women and children too).

Earlier this week I just finished Coker's My Unforgettable Memories of WW II. Coker was mustang who served in the 32nd Infantry Division after the Buna-Gona Campaign (yay Team Australia & America) and participated in a flank landing in New Guinea. Afterward he fought in Leyte where he was hit by shrapnel and sent home. Currently I'm reading Austrian Military Airguns. I've written an article on a modern H. W. Mortimer flintlock like airgun with a ball reservoir. One of these days I want to make a Girandoni (think Lewis & Clark).

If you haven't read Jim Gavin's On the Road to Berlin, please add that to your list. Gavin commanded the 82nd Airborne which later became part of the American occcupation force in Berlin.

Last edited:
Reactions: The D
If you want non-military history, might I suggest Leverage: How Cheap Money Will Destroy the World by Karl Denninger? It explains why our federal reserve note will fail (and why you should divest yoruself of it). You don't have much time to act on it.

Reactions: The D