• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boot Recommendation

sgtlmj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
CO
I'm a bit behind the times on modern footwear. I've been a road cop for about 15 years, and have always just bought jungle boots for summer, and Matterhorns for winter, and I wouldn't switch to the winter boots unless there was a foot of snow on the ground. (My feet get hot no matter what.)

I just got hired as a Corrections Officer with the FBoP, and wondered if there was anything out there with the airflow of the jungles, but more cushion and support for the standing and walking that I'll be doing. (Didn't do much of that as a cop ;))

I had a pair of Original SWAT Desert boots with the vents on the sides, and they kept my feet pretty cool, but I don't think any of their black boots are vented.

TIA

Re: Boot Recommendation

5.11 xtrp's are on sale for 95$ at Lapolicegear.com, get em while they last, I think theyre usually 160-180$.
And they are very nice boots.

I have had Bates, Magnum,Original SWAT, Oakleys and a lot of others and just got some Danners last year and will never switch to anything else. I use them on 12 hour shifts and never have sore feet. I work in humid hot Florida and have no troubles with them. Danners are the best boots I have had.

Get Danner Acadia (uninsulated) or the Patrol. They will last forever. I have a pair of Acadias which have been recrafted 4X. You get what you pay for. You are going to be on your feet all day long so take good care of them. You might call Danner and see if they could install vents in them like the Desert Danners have. Buy the best you only cry once.
Good Luck

Danner, they don't even need to be broken in. Best boot I have ever had. Danner Desert TFX Rough Out 8". Gortex liner, and still comfortable in the summer.
If I ever need cold weather gear I will get a pair of Danner insulated ones.

Another vote for Danner. I run the Danner Rain Forest, probably not what you are looking for but all of there boots seem to be of excellent quality.

I am a fan of Danner boots as well. For warm weather I would get a pair of the Desert Acadia. Ask them for the Fatigue Fighter insoles. These insoles are pretty thick so you may want to add a half size. If you order from Danner and they don't fit, you can send then back for another size (free shipping to return).

I've not seen it mentioned, but working in this environment, wouldn't a boot or shoe with a safety toe cap be a good idea?

These days there are lighter alternatives to the traditional steel toe cap that still offer a good degree of protection.

A toe 'tecer is also a god force multiplier in a fight, especially if the bad guy thinks you're wearing ordinary boots/shoes...

+1 for Danners, they're comfortable and can take a beating. I'm still trying to kill the first pair I got 5-6 years ago.

Can anyone tell me if the Danners have the ability to replace the in sole's with ones that are made for my feet. Being 61 with flat feet and bad ankles is no way to go thru life.

I appreciate it.

Maxwell

Danner insoles are removable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maxwell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me if the Danners have the ability to replace the in sole's with ones that are made for my feet. Being 61 with flat feet and bad ankles is no way to go thru life.

I appreciate it.

Maxwell </div></div>

Danners or Altama. I had a pair of Altama dessert boots last me through 15 months in Iraq, Ranger School, and another year of field wear as a grunt. Now that I am out, I still use them as work boots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Danner, American made, rebuildable, tough </div></div>
Not totally any more
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Danner, American made, rebuildable, tough </div></div>
Not totally any more
frown.gif
</div></div>

Danner's website will let you see which boots are made in the USA. The Acadia's are American made if I remember correctly.

the danner acadias have options of no insulation, 200g and 400g

and with or without steel toe.

Depending on where you get stuck or rotated into and how the winters are you might end up outside and the 200g is usually enough to keep your toes warm but not too much in the summer to make you sweat. You could also make accomodations based on socks you wear as well though. I would just shy away from the 400s

and if you take care of the leather you can have them resoled when you wear the tread off of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Danner TFX contract boot...</div></div> thats what im wearing right now and i love them

you might want to check out the Bates website they have some kind of new air flow cooling system. I have a pair of their gx8 and like them.

Lowa Renegade. been every where far east and many hikes in the USA. cant tell how may miles. no break in,water proof, light, summer or winter.

It would seem that Danner is the vast majority. I went with the 5.11, and three years later they're still perfectly fine!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would seem that Danner is the vast majority. I went with the 5.11, and three years later they're
still perfectly fine! </div></div>

While Danner is a great boot I think they need to address the softness of their soles and add another boot to their line of boots.

Another boot being something exactly like the Arcadia, but without the waterproofing and addition of breather holes. I'm trying to find something like this right now

altama lite speeds, you won't be disappointed. I have had some for about 3 years and I live in west TN. I go on hikes every now and then (10 miles) and my feet stay good and cool in the 110* heat index. plus you should be able to find them for 65 bucks or less.

So I went to Altama's website and they have a jungle boot to fit my needs. Most people would gawk at the price for a jungle boot, but vibram sole is a must have I'm gunna buy some next paycheck

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=9109&TabID=1&CatID=377

Altama® 9" MIL-SPEC 3 Layer Black Jungle Boot
Updated version of the original hot weather boot developed by the U.S. Army for use in Vietnam. Steel shim and shanks defend your feet against hazards. Instep drainage vents allow you to move through deep water without carrying half of it with you. Three layer sole provides water, wear and shock resistance.

I've been wearing Ridge Air Tac Mids for years and can't say enough about them. Extremely comfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I went to Altama's website and they have a jungle boot to fit my needs. Most people would gawk at the price for a jungle boot, but vibram sole is a must have I'm gunna buy some next paycheck

Updated version of the original hot weather boot developed by the U.S. Army for use in Vietnam. Steel shim and shanks defend your feet against hazards. Instep drainage vents allow you to move through deep water without carrying half of it with you. Three layer sole provides water, wear and shock resistance. </div></div>

I have a pair of those and they are most excellent, albeit spendy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oguruma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I went to Altama's website and they have a jungle boot to fit my needs. Most people would gawk at the price for a jungle boot, but vibram sole is a must have I'm gunna buy some next paycheck

Updated version of the original hot weather boot developed by the U.S. Army for use in Vietnam. Steel shim and shanks defend your feet against hazards. Instep drainage vents allow you to move through deep water without carrying half of it with you. Three layer sole provides water, wear and shock resistance. </div></div>

I have a pair of those and they are most excellent, albeit spendy. </div></div>

1/2 price of my danners and if they last even 2 years thats 70 bucks for a year of footwear

Blackhawk Spec Ops are the most comfortable out of the box boots I have ever used.
Only used them for less than 6 months, so how they hold up is not know yet.

Being a CO myself, personal experiences and seeing what other COs use, you may not want any type of jungle boot. Lots of guys are using 5.11, Oakleys, Danners, Magnum, and bates are some of the most common ones I have seen. I am a fan of the 5.11s had a pair last almost 2 years. Now I am useing the state issue Rockys for now till I get some new ones. The Rockys suck. I had to try 5 diffrent insoles to make them bareable. They are heavy, and dont breath. Being out here in Nv. doesnt help. I wish they would allow desert boots, I have a pair of Danners that are perfect for out here.