• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bore guides.

317millhand

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Hazard, Ky
never used them before, but recently go a GAP Crusader and would prefer to use one on this rifle. Are the universal boreguides any good? I also have a fairly expensive m1a, a 270 tikka t3 hunter, and a few others that Id like to use with a bore guide. What do you guys use on your high end treasures?

Re: bore guides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucas bore guides are the way to go. His email is [email protected] </div></div>

THIS!!

I believe that bore diameter, rod diameter, and guide bushing diameter need to be matched, or slop is introduced that negates the value of the guide in the first place. So no. I don't like the idea of a 'universal' bore guide.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucas bore guides are the way to go. His email is [email protected] </div></div>

THIS!! </div></div>

Just incase you missed it.
wink.gif

The Rem 700 version will work fine in the Templar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucas bore guides are the way to go. His email is [email protected] </div></div>

Another vote for Lucas. I have one for my templar action it works great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any decent made commercially? </div></div>

What does this mean?

"Commercially" = ones that are sold?

Or do you just mean "cheap" or "mass produced"?

There's pleanty of lesser products about but buy once, cry once = Mike Lucas

But....having tried to get one for a Springfield 1903 a few weeks ago....I think you'll find he is shut now until February (at least that is what the last email I got back from Mike said.....)

Russ Haydon's Possum Hollow guide.
When I ordered it, he personally called GA Precision to verify the templar action specs before making it.

lucas are great. but i use the plastic ones from sinclair and have had no issues either

Tried the Dewey today and it works excellent in my Crusader. Cant say how it will work in anything else.

I think the problem is that a bore guide is meant to align the rod with the bore of the barrel and the universal or generic ones have large bore diameters which do not prevent the cleaning rod flex and contact with the lands and grooves of the barrel. An example is my generic bore guide has a bore of something like .350 and in my .308 it is still possible for the rod to contact the throat area of the barrel during cleaning. If the guides bore was .308 then theoretically any flex of the rod would not be likely to contact the lands and grooves in a damaging way. I do use a generic guide in my .308 but I also use a plastic coated Dewey rod to help prevent damage.

Don't bother wasting you money on something else. Tell him:

[email protected]

What gun/caliber and what cleaning rod you will be using send him a check and wait for the brown truck to drop off the best cleaning guides made. PERIOD.

I have two Lucas bore guides and I am totally impressed with both.

I called Mr. Lucas the other day and he stated they weren't taking orders right now. It would be mid January before he started accepting anymore orders.

I'm probably just going to go with the Sinclair O-ring from Brownells.

I just ordered one and it was $49.95. wont get it till January

Lucas bore guide. It's worth the wait. It took awhile to receive my 6.8spc and .308 guides.

Hitman321 When i called he took my order said i would get it in january.Must be he dose so many then win he gets them done then he takes more orders.

U should also check out T.K Nolan for bore guides also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: motodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">possum hollow works for me and mine. </div></div>

Thats what I use. It's works like a champ.

Another vote for the Mike Lucas bore guides. He will custom craft them for you. Just tell him the rod diameter, the action model, and the round your barrel is chambered for & he will cusom craft it for you and all that for a reasonable cost & shipped as promised. He's usually 4-6 weeks behind, so order it during the build process & you'll have it long before you actually need it. I have 5 of his bore guides.

Larry

I just ordered from Mike, and I think his next shipping will be about the middle of Jan.

Is he accepting orders? I was told he wasn't until the end of Jan.

Okay fellas....

Just sent an email to Mike trying to order one of his bore guides and here's the response I got:

"Sorry shop closed for the our winter time off mode. Will start again around 4-1-12. Thanks."

Thought he might have meant January 4th vice April 1st but he confirmed April 1st. Geeeez!

Anyone have an extra for sale? Surgeon 591/.308/.27 Dewey rod

Crap.

He told me last month it would be 3rd week of January.
Could easily wait for late Jan. Cannot wait for April.

Gotta go another route.

I use a opposum hollow in my GAP built .338. They were recommended to me by GAP since Mike Lucas was closed at the time. I am completely satified with it and the customer service I received.

I love lucas bore guides but i have had the same issue a couple times when i tried to get one. He would not even take the order. Opposum hollow are not bad guides at all. There my second choice when i cant get one from lucas. Often i will get the hollow until i can get the lucas. The lucas guide is well worth the money when you can get them.

I've got a question then guys:

I'm buying a bore guide today. I have a DPMS SASS. I can either go the Possum Hollow route or the JP Enterprises route. Do you guys prefer one over the other?

The JP Enterprises "looks" more like the Lucas guide design (being aluminum) than the Possum Hollow one. However, I assume that the plastic Possum Hollow offering will be much less likely to scratch anything on the gun with inserting or removing.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or experiences with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The JP Enterprises "looks" more like the Lucas guide design (being aluminum) </div></div>

1) Lucas bore guides are not aluminium
2) Does either of the options you mention have the rod insert - for me this is the key feature of the Lucas guides?
3) Sorry to put it like this...but WTF does it matter what they look like?

Looks like I got lucky. Ordered mine on 12/16, he replied to me that it would ship 1/16. I sent him payment the next day.