• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore Snake anyone?

Hunter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
How many of you guys use this to clean your barrel every once in a while?

I used to use them some, I now use the Otis cleaning system. I doubt I will use a br snake again because I broke one in the barrel of my ar. I had to take a pair of vise grips and clamped them as tight as possible to the end of the bore snake and twisted it until it came out. I really would have been up a creek if it broke further down to where I couldn't clamp the vise grips onto it. Just be careful with using a bore snake. Btw, yes it was a .22 caliber bore snake. I don't know what caused it to get stuck and break.

I use one every time I hit the range. Knocks all of the crud and carbon out in one swipe, then I put the rifle away. I actually clean the barrel once every 1000 rounds or so, but in between, it is a boresnake only.

I use one every time I hit the range. Knocks all of the crud and carbon out in one swipe, then I put the rifle away. I actually clean the barrel once every 1000 rounds or so, but in between, it is a boresnake only.

That's what I did for the last 700 rounds before changing cartidges. I attribute the drop in accuracy I saw to neck tension problems, but I could be confusing causation and correlation, easy to do. Why the passionate response 30378? I can't see a problem with them, but I don't practice the black art of cleaning voodoo.

A "true" bore snake is all I ever use. When I first purchase a rifle, I will make 10 passes with the brush area soaked with Hoppes. Then I add a little oil to it, and make 3 passes. I only use the bore snake after that, when the accuracy tells me to do so. I would rather shoot than clean. Savages like it "dirty" anyway!!

DK

Talking about Bore Snakes these days is tantamount to Witchcraft... paranoia abounds.

I've never heard so much hysteria about 'snapping' this and 'breaking' that

And as for scratching barrels and harming the rifling? Well I'm no physicist but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as bad as a supersonic FMJ completing a 1in12?

Last edited:
Talking about Bore Snakes these days is tantamount to Witchcraft... paranoia abounds.

I've never heard so much hysteria about 'snapping' this and 'breaking' that

And as for scratching barrels and harming the rifling? Well I'm no physicist but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as bad as a supersonic FMJ completing a 1in12?

It's not hysteria, it happened to me. My first hand experience is that there are better ways to "clean" a bore. To each his own.

Tough to teach an old dog a new trick. I'll use my Dewey rods, flannel patches and brushes.
My only experience with the bore snake cleaning concept comes from a friend who used one to clean his .300 win Mag bolt gun for several years.
After a few years accuracy deteriorated and he thought it was his scope, so I was going to mount one of mine, shoot the gun to help diagnose the problem.
I decided to CLEAN his barrel before shooting....the amount of carbon and FOULING that came out was staggering. After a good soak overnight and several dozen patches it shot as accurately as it had previously.

Bore Snakes may clean barrels just fine...not my experience this one time.

I personally don't think that Bore Snakes are suitable to every-day cleaning and prefer to use one only for intermittent range work

I check it regularly for excessive wear, tear and dirt etc

This said I've also seen people break-off cleaning rods and brushes in barrels... and don't see the snake being any better or worse.

[MENTION=71073]phillipjr[/MENTION] - how did you remove the broken end out of interest?

I have used bore-snakes for years. Primarily on automatic weapons. I relegate them to range use or during training cycles. If for some reason I wish to hit the barrel and ramp, I'll lock the bolt back and knock that crap out in a second. Really comes in handy on heavy use pistols. Particularly the 1911 platform that is more sensitive to getting extremely dirty.

Do bore-snakes hurt your barrel. No. I have never even heard such a thing. The only thing I could possibly think a bore-snake MIGHT do is melt in a barrel that is stupid hot. But again, I have never seen that either.

Also....and I am a big advocate of boresnakes. I don't use them to "final clean" my weapons. Sure if I am back at the bench, I might make a few passes in whatever weapon I am cleaning. But then I start the real cleaning with rods and patches. I'm sure Boresnake would disagree with me, but they AREN'T designed for final cleaning. And frankly, I am surprised anyone even looks at them that way. Another new one on me.

Boresnakes are a very handy tool out in the field. Trying to use them as the final clean back at home is just lazy, IMO.

Your mileage may vary. We all have to find the means of our own salvation.

TTR

I use a bore snake with CLP when I get to the range and after I shoot. I do it to make sure there is no junk in my bore and to leave a little lubricant between outings. For real cleanings I use a rod and patches every 200 rounds or so. I am new to precision shooting so I would love to hear what others with more experience have to say.

If I haven't shot a rifle in a while I'll pull one through to remove anything that may have settled in the barrel.
I also run a few passes with one on a new barrel before I first shoot it.

I don't consider it a replacement for real cleaning with patches and bore chemicals (with a CF cleaning rod and plastic jag), but it could be used that way... there are "patch" areas that can be soaked with chemicals, but it would be a PITA to clean afterwards (and to not mix chemicals).

This is the first time I've heard of one breaking and I know quite a few people that use them.

Joe

I personally don't think that Bore Snakes are suitable to every-day cleaning and prefer to use one only for intermittent range work

I check it regularly for excessive wear, tear and dirt etc

This said I've also seen people break-off cleaning rods and brushes in barrels... and don't see the snake being any better or worse.

[MENTION=71073]phillipjr[/MENTION] - how did you remove the broken end out of interest?

There was just enough sticking out of the end of the barrel that I could clamp on to with vise grips. I twisted them until it pulled the bore snake out. The vise grips did mare the a2 flash hider, but it was replaced anyway.

I pretty much bore snake my 1911's before leaving the range, but it is not substitute for a good cleaning. And, I too, have stuck a bore snake in an AR, you only do it once.:mad:

I use them in the field shooting p-dogs after about 200-300 shots then a fast 2 passes and back to shooting.

A bore snake is my mode of cleaning immediately following a session on the range. Follow up with the rod and patches once I reach the homestead.

What's that old adage - "Spare the rod, spoil the barrel :confused:"

I recently bought Viper bore snakes for every caliber I shoot with is 4. Within a few cleanings 2 of them broker inside the barrel and I had to dig them out by clamping the part extenting in a vise and then pulling the rifle off of it. I wrote Hoppes and now I am waiting on their response. The idea is great but they need to improve it in my opinion if they break that easy

I use boresnakes in all my guns. I use them in everything but my precision rifle. Never had a problem with them, and I use them as a primary way of cleaning for my rifles, shotgun and handguns. The .308 gets a coated cleaning rod. This is the first I've heard of people having trouble with them. Most of the guys in the infantry ditched cleaning rods and only used boresnakes. My guess for people with issues, some people probably didn't put gun oil on the tail for their snake.

I use them in every caliber i have. i will say my 223/556 one doesnt work well and is hard to use in my AR. Its a super tight fit and hard to pull through. I rarely use the 223/556 one. I do,however, find the 22cal pistol one to work well in my AR instead. Its a much better fit and works fine. Every other caliber works just fine.

As others have mentioned i use them more for "quick cleaning" rather than true cleaning. Just a couple passes gets most of the crud out but a thorough cleaning is always going ot get more out.

For what they are they work great. The 223/556 does seem ot have issues though but every other one has worked just perfect for me

I keep one when hunting for the accidental putting of dirt or something else in the barrel. I fell once and put the muzzle of my ar15 in the ground in the dark- if that had happened to me on a hunt I would have been in trouble.

"clean "

no... ill use it like a "super patch" after a normal cleaning, or a quick pull threw after shooting to knock out the chunky's... but never to "clean" on it own...

A bore snake is my mode of cleaning immediately following a session on the range. Follow up with the rod and patches once I reach the homestead.

What's that old adage - "Spare the rod, spoil the barrel :confused:"

Yep. A Bore Snake will help get the carbon out. The carbon is what will attract and hold moisture. I haven't found a Bore Snake to be possibly damaging, thus I see no reason not to use one for a "quick field cleaning".

Just understand the limitations of this type of cleaning. A snake isn't a substitute for a quality rod, Parker-Hale style jag and proper chemicals.

Mark

I bore snake after every range trip. After 6 or 7 hundred rounds ill use a rod and patch

I use them, even on Precision rifles, but they are not my main source of cleaning tool. I only pass it through after a couple range sessions to get rid of the loose carbon/power. I don't remove copper from my barrel until i see accuracy suffer, and I've not put enough rounds down any of my current rifles to the point of bedding to remove the copper.

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

I use snakes up to @ 500 rounds, then I hit it with a solid rod cleaning...

I've found that accuracy isn't diminishing and the 500 cleaning is just because by then, I feel like the rifle needs a solid cleaning.

I have a .22 cal boresnake and use it after every range session with my AR and .22s to extend the time between real cleaning. I clean with a boresnake every 50 rounds or so, and clean with patches and rod every 100 rounds.

I do as many if the others it seems. Primarily use the boresnake after a range session to clean some of the carbon out. But for final cleaning it will still get the rod and patches when in need.

Yep. A Bore Snake will help get the carbon out. The carbon is what will attract and hold moisture. I haven't found a Bore Snake to be possibly damaging, thus I see no reason not to use one for a "quick field cleaning".

Just understand the limitations of this type of cleaning. A snake isn't a substitute for a quality rod, Parker-Hale style jag and proper chemicals.

Mark

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I use it post range or if i've been out in the field and my gun is dusty and just needs a quick pull through, i'll clean it thoroughly with rods every 300-400 rounds (supressed 300wm). it won't do a damn thing to your barrel, it does not replace rods but it can extend cleaning sessions, it about all i use on my carbines, i only fully punch the barrel.... jeez with a rod probably every 4k rounds or so maybe.

I just watched someone with a stuck bore snake in a very expensive rifle and the field was a bad place for it.
It looked to me to be bunching in the brake [338], But I stayed clear and let them deal.

One can't honestly expect a bore snake to do "all the cleaning necessary". I think of it as a handy tool to get the shit out of my barrel after a long day of shooting. Good cleaning rods, solvents (bore tech :) ) jags, and patches will never go away. But sometimes it's nice not to have to pull out the bore guide , jag, patches , rod just to clean your anti rust and wear solvents before you shoot. I use them in every rig I have. Have never seen any wear and tear inside my barrel

Throw it in the pack, keep it for field conditions. I cant pack a vise, full length dewey rod, bore guide, jags, brushes, patches, and chemicals like i can a boresnake. Its a 75% solution to keep your gear running in the field. If you have time/gear/need for a proper cleaning, do it. If you have the need but not the other two, snake that shit and drive on.

One can't honestly expect a bore snake to do "all the cleaning necessary". I think of it as a handy tool to get the shit out of my barrel after a long day of shooting. Good cleaning rods, solvents (bore tech :) ) jags, and patches will never go away. But sometimes it's nice not to have to pull out the bore guide , jag, patches , rod just to clean your anti rust and wear solvents before you shoot. I use them in every rig I have. Have never seen any wear and tear inside my barrel

This^^^

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

I have bore snakes in my range kit and use them when I have shot a lot and I think accuracy is going south. Probably taking a little break and thinking about something else is just as important than cleaning a little carbon out of the barrel. I have two special bore snakes that I use to run a little J&B bore compound thru the barrel every 1000 rounds or so.

Don't know if everyone agrees with this but a shooter with a grey beard that knows more than I ever will, told me "every once in a while run you some of that JB thru your barrel. I saw this fellow often at the range with different hunting rifles. One of those times he had a beautiful engraved Sharps that he was shooting 1"groups at 100 yards. The range officer advised me to never bet against him no matter what he was shooting. Apparently he was pretty good with a 30/30 lever action and iron sights.

Otis

I use the Otis stuff at the range and when out shooting in the desert. Bore snakes on steroids!!! I'll hit it with the solid rods when accuracy goes south.

I use them in the field shooting p-dogs after about 200-300 shots then a fast 2 passes and back to shooting.

same here. after pdog shooting i will run one thru a couple of times with CLP just to get the big stuff out. I clean about every 700-1000 rounds with a patch, brush, and some boretech eliminator

I just use one at the end of a range day for a couple of quick trips down the pipe while the barrel is warm and the carbon deposites are cold and hardened i find two quick runs with the snake at this stage reduces the number of patches required with carbon cleaner when Im home before they come out white again.

I use boresnakes on all my firearms. It seriously takes 1/10 the time to clean out the bore.

They aren't damaging at all, a bullet rippin down that barrel is going to be much worse for it than a boresnake