• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore Snake use with precision equipment / Rifles

Harris51

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2010
Cave Creek , AZ
I am curious if anyone has discussed the use of Bore Snakes on nice barrels and chambers.

I realize that use of brass bore brushes is frowned upon by many, however, the ease, speed and simplicity of use in the field..... well I just wish I had invented them.

Does anyone use them on their rifles?

Re: Bore Snake use with precision equipment / Rifles

I run them thru my bolt guns after 2-3 range trips (usually 100 rounds), when I get to about 300 rounds Ill give it a good cleaning with butches.

I keep one inserted in my deploying bolt gun when stored in drag bag. Does 2 things for me. Insures me the barrel isn't plugged up when I get ready to deploy it out of bag, and also insures me nothing is chambered just by looking. When I get a callout, I simply pull it through. I don't use it to actually do a hard clean though, but more to insure a clean barrel prior.

Excellent. I know many "hard guys" that use them in the field, I was just curious if any of the purists feel like the brushes are too harsh or that they may cause the chamber/barrel to wear unevenly.

I keep one in my drag bag and pull it through at the end of each range session.

Keep it clean and there are no worries. Let it get icky and you may have problems. Replace it before it breaks off in your barrel. They are pretty cheap.

LoneWolfUSMC said:
I keep one in my drag bag and pull it through at the end of each range session.

Great idea. I'm going to start doing that as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Replace it before it breaks off in your barrel. They are pretty cheap. </div></div>

LMAO, that would suck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harris51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent. I know many "hard guys" that use them in the field, I was just curious if any of the purists feel like the brushes are too harsh or that they may cause the chamber/barrel to wear unevenly. </div></div>

A bronze brush won't hurt your barrel if you use it correctly. With that said if you are paranoid about it you can always use Wipe-Out foam. It sprays foam in the barrel, then you just using patches to push out the junk after it sits for a while, no brushing involved. There's an article about it on 6mmbr.com.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Replace it before it breaks off in your barrel. They are pretty cheap. </div></div>

LMAO, that would suck! </div></div>

A sniper in our battalion had this happen to him in Afghanistan - he was very anxious to get it out without causing any damage. I think the idea is good and it can be used without issue but having seen this, I don't use one myself.

Re: Bore Snake use with precision equipment / Rifl

I don't have a problem with using them in my high round count combat-type auto pistols (only after separating the barrels, allowing for a nice straight pull-thru). But after an experience I had a few years ago I won't use them in any of my nice barrels.

In a previous life I did a lot of cabinet contracting. Once, while loading up and securing a mountain of cabinets in the back of a truck I watched a rope, lightly resting on a cabinet, carve a trench into it's wood. Now, I'd always been very conscious of rope burn while working with wood, but this was dramatically different. Upon inspection, I discovered the rope had been dropped into the dirt. Some of this dirt had adhered to and embedded in the rope and acted as a cutting agent. Imagine a flexible rattail file being dragged thru your fine bore.

The concept is sound, but the reality is the field's a dirty place. I suppose if you're religious about keeping it clean and not dropping it into the dirt you'd be fine. The question is, how do you get it clean after it's been used? Really clean?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep one inserted in my deploying bolt gun when stored in drag bag. Does 2 things for me. Insures me the barrel isn't plugged up when I get ready to deploy it out of bag, and also insures me nothing is chambered just by looking. When I get a callout, I simply pull it through. I don't use it to actually do a hard clean though, but more to insure a clean barrel prior. </div></div>

This is a great idea tho'. Maybe keep one just for this purpose (no cleaning at all), and in a Ziploc when not in use.

I believe the manuf. suggests putting them in the washing machine. Never tried it though.

I'm always very conscientious about keeping it off the ground.

I like the idea of keeping it inside the bore for storage. On my rifles that have one, I keep it in the stock pack and always pull it through before each session to make sure nothing has crawled inside.

I think they're the best thing since color TV.
Treat the first four inches with cleaner or preservative and pull it through from chamber, straight out the muzzle.
Clean them in hot soapy water, rinse and hang dry.
Use slightly oversized one. I use 30 cal for 264 cal.
Love it.

Everyone I know has them in there kit for pistol and M4, However, there doesn't seem to be agreement between the 0317's.

Those who don't use them, I am curious why?

I was told bore snakes are last resort to touch up a rifle barrel.. If you wanna clean a barrel I was told a cleaning rod and bronze brushes or nothing. Cleaning snakes were just for a in the field quick touch up but nothing for full cleaning for precision rifles.. For m4's and pistols its been passed from the boys in Iraq due to what ever gets the job done and they aren't trying to hit 3 inch plates at 600 yards either.. Most is done with in 100 yards.

When I pick up my M4 and handgun I'll probably buy a bore snake because I wont be taking it past 100 yards ever.. My 700.. will be clean. And you will notice the difference when shooting major distances and not having a clean rifle.. But with m4's and pistols as long as they shoot in the right direction most people are happy.

I bought two on clearence at WalMart months ago one for my 7.62 and one for my 5.56. I have yet to use either. I bought them with the thinking that I would at least have something available in a small "oh shit" rifle kit. The Otis kit seems to always be the answer for feild cleaning whether it is my M4, pistol, shotgun, or bolt gun. The take apart brass rod that was issued with my M40 has certainly served me well over the years just not as easy to pack. Is anyone even making those brass rod kits anymore?

If it's good enough for Lowlight, it's good enough for me. I have one but have been hesitant to use it, this sets me at ease. I would rather use a 'snake than a rod without a guide.

Not too long ago I was in my local gun store and noticed a "do-all" cleaning kit made by Remington, it had a segmented brass cleaning rod with it. I bought the kit just for the cleaning rod, its not built for rough use but I figure if I pay mind to how I pack it Ill be OK. The kit is not very expensive and if nothing else I got a hand full of brushes for the shotguns and pistols. Im not an anal gun scrubber but I wanted a brass sectional rod to go in the pack for the occasional "Dang, how did that get in my bore?"

I used one for each rifle, they clean up nicely and work great.

Cal used in:

.223, 308, x39 and x50 and mossburg 12g

I use a Bore Snake similar to Varget. On callouts or before shooting I just pull it through to ensure a clean, unobstructed barrel as well as ensuring any moisture or oils are wiped out for a consistent cold bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When I pick up my M4 and handgun I'll probably buy a bore snake because I wont be taking it past 100 yards ever.. My 700.. will be clean. <span style="font-weight: bold">And you will notice the difference when shooting major distances and not having a clean rifle.. But with m4's and pistols as long as they shoot in the right direction most people are happy.</span> </div></div>

Not to sound like an asshole, but what is "clean" i have a 260 with about 600 rds down the tube that isnt shooting any different since the 1st round, i have a 308 barrel that has about 1K down the tube without "cleaning" that isnt shooting any difference, and just so you know....most of my M4 work in country was between 200 and 500 yds, wasnt very much "Up Close and Personal". Also cleaning your barrel with a boresnake wasnt meant to get it spotless, it works perfect for what it does....gets big pieces of carbon and build up out. Why take shit the barrel likes to be there out only to put it back? Boresnakes are great tools, they can roll up and fit in a stock pack and you have a handy way to clean your bore a little.

I just keep the Otis kit with me. Hasn't failed me yet, has everything I need in it, I can throw it in my ruck so it's with me at all times. I've never used a bore snake, but I do like the idea of keeping one in the barrel to keep foreign matter out when in transport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RECKON SO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not too long ago I was in my local gun store and noticed a "do-all" cleaning kit made by Remington, it had a segmented brass cleaning rod with it. I bought the kit just for the cleaning rod, its not built for rough use but I figure if I pay mind to how I pack it Ill be OK. The kit is not very expensive and if nothing else I got a hand full of brushes for the shotguns and pistols. Im not an anal gun scrubber but I wanted a brass sectional rod to go in the pack for the occasional "Dang, how did that get in my bore?" </div></div>

After the Parker-Hale name was sold off and they quit making rifles, there used to be a range of cleaning kits carrying their name.

The Safari cleaning kit was based around an excellent quality jointed brass rod and cam complete with P-H jags and brushes ect. The one I have is for .308win, but apparently they did a similar kit for 6mm / .243win but I've never managed to find one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And you will notice the difference when shooting major distances and not having a clean rifle.. .... </div></div>

You are right. Most of us shoot fouled bored because we have a much greater consistency with first round hits.