• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boretech Eliminator

richardj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Newton, NJ
This is a quick post about Bortech Eliminator product.. I just received it and tried it out. I was introduced to this product based on a recommendation from JamieD (here on the 'hide) and I must say I'm impressed. I have previously been using Montana Extreme which, as some of you will know, is a fairly harsh cleaner and obviously the mix includes a fair amount of ammonia. Based on JamieDs' logical argument for using less harsh bore cleaners (because some of it will always be left in the barrel) I thought I'd give this a product a try..
Photo below is using the Boretech cleaning method on my Krieger 308 barrel after 280rounds, here's the routine.. straight from the bottle, I used one patch of Kroil before going to the Boretech product.
DSCN0269.jpg

If you look at the layout of patches above in a "C" shape.. I started with the bottom Right-hand patch as patch 2.
1. 1 patch Kroil
2. Soaked in Boretech passed straight through bore once
3. Soaked in Boretech passed straight through bore once
4. Soaked in Boretech passed straight through bore once
5. Soaked in Boretech passed straight through bore once
6. Nylon brush passed through bore 5 times (product suggests 15 passes)
7. Soaked in Boretech passed straight through bore once
8 Left to "soak" for 5mins
9.through 14. one patch each pushed through bore once.
10. one clean bore.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Advantages.</span>
No Smell!
Anything left in the barrel won't degrade it!
Environmentally Friendly

Hopes this can help someone else try this great product!

RJ

Re: Boretech Eliminator

I been using it also for last few years do to my ar50. I liked it a lot and use it on all my guns. I can clean quicker with it. I have not used Montana Extreme but they both are the top two I read about for years in the 50bmg realm. I prefer the Boretech Elliminator for the same reasons.

I'm late to the party.. again...

The photo tells the story for the skeptics/Die-hards out there..

RJ

We had a little "test" recently. A good friend that has several BR titles proclaims that Montana and Butch's is the best cleaners. We got lots of copper out afterward, using the Boretech, after the others. He's a believer now too.

A couple of guys with a lot of real world experience turned me onto the stuff. Do NOT use it to clean your bolt, I've seen that tried, it gums it up to the point it won't shoot. You will learn how to strip a 700 bolt if you choose to do so anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stopped cleaning long ago......I am much happier in life. </div></div>
+1 I pity the foo' that cleans my gun...

I've used it for several years now. I know it works.

I've got a borescope, so I'm not quessing.

I used it for the first time last night and was impressed. It appeared to be reacting brass jag based on the oxidation, so I know the metal reactant is fairly aggressive.

One drawback seemed to be the thickness of the solution, and when washing my hands afterward, I could tell it was going to work like an Alkaline solution such as NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) - by making my hands feel "soapy" under normal water. I tested the theory by neutralizing it with vinegar (I saw Fight Club), and it seemed to do the trick.

Any ideas of the pH of this solution?

I would also like to know about how reactive this is with skin.

Love the product for cleaning the bore, but hate getting any on my hands and what it does to anything brass that it comes in contact with.

I've been using lighter fluid to clean off my brushes and jags after I use it.
Anyone know of a better way to rinse Boretech off?

OK,

I tried Eliminator yesterday for the first time. It worked fairly well but I've got some questions and any help would be appreciated. Sorry if I get off track from the original post.

I ordered some of the proof positive jags from Boretech but they're not in yet. These are the ones that are suppose to eliminate the false positives. I could actually wet a patch with Eliminator, wipe off the jag that I'm using, and turn the entire patch blue. Is this normal? I'm using the Sinclair jags so I would think that they're pretty good.

I just got a new rifle yesterday and went out to do the barrel break-in. Got my first ten rounds fired, cleaning after each shot. When using eliminator, as soon as I start to wet the patch, it starts to turn blue around the tip of the jag. Every patch I pushed through the barrel came out bright blue. I used the Eliminator for the first six rounds. I used Montana's the next four and hardly got any bluing on the patches.

I'm going back out today to finish my break-in. I'm going to start cleaning with Eliminator and see if I have the same results. Has anyone else experienced the same type of thing and is this normal. Hopefully when I get the proof positive jags, it will eliminate this problem.

Also, after completing my first ten rounds, I looked inside the barrel from the muzzle end and noticed what looks like copper in some of the grooves. Is this normal or do I need to clean better? I'm shooting a Crusader and I followed GAP's break-in and cleaning instructions exactly as they said to do. I certainly don't want to screw up a brand new rifle right out of the gate, so if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate them.

Thanks and sorry to get off track.
Take care...ANDY

Blue reaction with jag is normal.
Especially with a new jag.

The fouling that you see is also normal for a new barrel and is one of things that barrel break in proceedures are intended to address.

Congrats on your new GAP!
Go shoot it and enjoy.
You should notice less and less copper fouling each time your clean as you get more rounds through her.

Been using Eliminator for while and like it, but have to watch out for the false positives.