• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Borka torque wrench

kansas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2012
Kansas
Well, read a lot of reviews about torque wrench (drivers) here and decided to order the Borka. I've never torqued any screws on scope mounts or stock screws before but decided it was time to do it right, after spending $120 on Seekins rings.
Looked all over town today for a torque driver and couldn't even find a cheap one. Went to a local gun shop that has been doing gunsmith work for 40+years and asked him if he sold any and he said "no, never ever used one."
I have a question though for you Borka users. Does it ever need recalibrating? It looks like a design that wouldn't need recalibrating. Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks.

Re: Borka torque wrench

I'm not the user, I'm the actual maker of Borka torque driver. To answer your question, to the best of my knowledge -no, it does not need re-calibration as long as you do not intend to use it in mass production. Torque driver is calibrated to +3% above nominal values. Per test results, torque driver will loose between 3% to 5% of torque output after 42,000 cycles, at which time, it would torque with the maximum deviation of -2% relative to the nominal torque values, which means it stays in +/-4% torque output accuracy tolerance. 42,000 cycles means you'll need to use it for work on at least 2,000 scoped rifles before having re-calibration concerns. Average user will not likely have so much fun until complete retirement from the shooting activities.

As projected,with use of conserative estimates, Borka torque driver should stay within +/-4% tolerance for at least 50,000 cycles or 20 years. Spring used in my tool is made by Rockford Spring (IL), high quality custom spring, but may still get "relaxed", as any spring, and loose up to 5% of original spring rate after 20-25 years, this is why this 20 years is being mentioned. Hope it answers your question.

Wow! Thanks for the answer! I won't use it enough to ever cause that much wear.
I thought about buying the Wheeler however this one received many good reviews and looked very simple in construction and simple to use. I use a lot of tools that have to be re-calibrated on a quarterly basis to comply with company ISO testing policies and that can be a real hassle if you have to send them to a lab to have done. Most of the time it cost way more to have an instrument calibrated than to buy it in the first place. I like the design of this tool. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. I see that you know, as I do, why companies MUST have fresh calibration stickers no matter what. I do not believe an individual user is obligated to pass audits per ISO requirements.

I don't think I can say enough good things about the borka I just recently purchased it and it is just as everyone says. The unit is very compact, something u could put in a range bang and forget it is there. The bits included seem to be made from high quality material. Plus kortik is great person to deal with very fast shipment and communication.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fate0n3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think I can say enough good things about the borka I just recently purchased it and it is just as everyone says. The unit is very compact, something u could put in a range bang and forget it is there. The bits included seem to be made from high quality material. Plus kortik is great person to deal with very fast shipment and communication. </div></div>

Thank you, certainly good to hear I can still do something right...
smile.gif

The Borka kit works great! I keep one in my range bag & one in my toolbox.

I have several torque wrenches but they don't get used anymore since i bought the Borka.

I remember the good old days getting tools inspected/calibrated. Since i was the head of the Tech department it was my job to make sure we complied with company regs.

Thanks Boris!!

I have the Wheeler, but wish I'd bought the Borka. Far more compact.

You know what? It is really nice, I mean REALLY nice to have a maker chime in here with the real specifications. Thanks!!

I bought mine from Boris at the SHOT show this year. It stays in my rifle pack and is used quite a bit. It is a great tool, works very well and does not take up any space. Also it is almost foolproof.

I love the Borka tool also but I had a weird experience the other day. I have the tool that goes from 15 up to about 65?? It has values on both sides. Anyway I was torquing on the barrel of my new FN SCAR 17 at about 62 inchlbs. I use it weekly to do scopes and such usually between 15 and 35, so basically just the one side of the tool.

When I torqued the SCAR bolts it Wouldnt break over, the bolts just kept getting tighter. I could sense that something wasnt right. I flipped the tool around and worked my way up through each torque value. Te lower side worked fine, the higher side wouldnt break over at all. So I cleaned it with a tooth brush and some clp, then put it in a vise and worked the break over aout 20 times. Tis freed it up and it started working correctly. I have a craftsmen inchlb wrench and compared all the settings and they are good to go now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marksmatter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Wheeler, but wish I'd bought the Borka. Far more compact.</div></div> Never too late to change that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the Borka tool also but I had a weird experience the other day. I have the tool that goes from 15 up to about 65?? It has values on both sides. Anyway I was torquing on the barrel of my new FN SCAR 17 at about 62 inchlbs. I use it weekly to do scopes and such usually between 15 and 35, so basically just the one side of the tool.

When I torqued the SCAR bolts it Wouldnt break over, the bolts just kept getting tighter. I could sense that something wasnt right. I flipped the tool around and worked my way up through each torque value. Te lower side worked fine, the higher side wouldnt break over at all. So I cleaned it with a tooth brush and some clp, then put it in a vise and worked the break over aout 20 times. Tis freed it up and it started working correctly. I have a craftsmen inchlb wrench and compared all the settings and they are good to go now </div></div>

This is indeed very unusual, the way design works, the handle MUST be capable to break over when used for high range IF it breaks over at the lower range with application of pre-determined force.

However, I can understand what may have happened, you got somewhat used to "lower torque" settings, so when you decided to use the other side, it might have been appearing a bit troubling that you had to apply considerably higher force, 2.5 times more. In any case, you did absolutely the right thing by stopping and giving it a thought and performing the extra steps to make sure you're not going to get into the trouble. When in doubt, no need to rush.

If tool gets real dirty, which may happen if it is dropped in the sand or mud, users are advised to follow the preventive maintenance procedure, available for download from my website, www.borkatools.com. This procedure is also shown in the user guide, included with the kits sold from the middle of 2011.

Dieselten, if you would like me to check out your tool for accuracy and/or function, feel free to contact me by PM or e-mail.

Thank you.

Boris

I have one of the Borka Tool Multi Torque Wrenches and I love it. But I have to ask one question....was there a reason you did not go with magnetic bits? Don't get me wrong the bits are very high quality and function very well, but I find my self using a magnetic bit from one of my cheap wally world kits when removing the Torx screws from my scope mounts and rings, which of course I'm usually doing to apply Permatex so I can retorque them back in place. I've found myself setting up the cheap magnetic bit in the included wrench to remove the Torx screws and using the included bit in the torque wrench to reinstall, but to be honest it would be easier if the included bits were magnetic.

This is just some constructive criticism. I am a huge fan of the Borka Tool Multi Torque Tool System. I would like to thank you for making such a great tool as well, cause I can't stand those stupid little FAT wrenches, lol! I will however swap out or more likely add additional magnetic bits to my kit to make myself happy.

For the OP you can not go wrong with this Tool it is quality and the maker as you can see stands behind his tool 100% you can not ask for better product or customer service.

This was an extremely informative thread that I just happened to stumble upon! Thanks guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pure_mahem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of the Borka Tool Multi Torque Wrenches and I love it. But I have to ask one question....was there a reason you did not go with magnetic bits? Don't get me wrong the bits are very high quality and function very well, but I find my self using a magnetic bit from one of my cheap wally world kits when removing the Torx screws from my scope mounts and rings, which of course I'm usually doing to apply Permatex so I can retorque them back in place. I've found myself setting up the cheap magnetic bit in the included wrench to remove the Torx screws and using the included bit in the torque wrench to reinstall, but to be honest it would be easier if the included bits were magnetic.

This is just some constructive criticism. I am a huge fan of the Borka Tool Multi Torque Tool System. I would like to thank you for making such a great tool as well, cause I can't stand those stupid little FAT wrenches, lol! I will however swap out or more likely add additional magnetic bits to my kit to make myself happy.

For the OP you can not go wrong with this Tool it is quality and the maker as you can see stands behind his tool 100% you can not ask for better product or customer service. </div></div>

Thank you very much for your kind words and your question.

I'm not certain what you refer to when you say "magnetic bit".
Do you mean "magnetic bit holder"? If yes, I was always using this type of bit holder right from the start, and current driver spindle is a quick release locking chuck (Autolock), combined with a magnet. The only other bit holder in MG5/7/9 kits, which is not magnetic, is the one piece 2" long extension, which is not really intended for use as a driver spindle (but it can be also used as such), but rather, is supposed to be deployed to elongate Autolock spindle to the total of 4" in length for extra reach. This extension uses U-shaped clip instead of a magnet. The reason I've decided in favor of this one is because:

1. I've detected some issues with plain magnetic bit holders, including several cases of magnets falling out (1 out of every 300 bit holders on average) and

2. Natural limitation of magnetic bit holders to work with stainless steel bits or other bit holders made from stainless steel. Typically, stainless steel is either completely none magnetic or only "mildly" magnetic. Both Autolock and U-clip types will hold anything. Autolock, of course, provides much superioir clamping/holding capability for bits and other bit holders than other types of bit holder, including magnetic or U-clip type. Autolock can also clamp/hold very long bits reliably.

Thanks again for your input and constructive criticism, it's always good to be questioned, keeps things moving faster and helps to generate ideas...

Boris

Well, used my new Borka today and was pleased at the ease of use. Directions were clear and I feel confident that the screws were all torqued correctly, something I've never was sure of before. Like a gunsmith told me last weekend when I was looking for a torque wrench locally, I had never torqued a screw on a scope mount or stock screw before. I bought this through Brownells without any bits however my son gave me a set of Craftsman torx 1/4" drivers and they worked great. I started off using a lower setting on the wrench working up until I was at the required torque. Very easy to use. Thanks for a great product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, used my new Borka today and was pleased at the ease of use. Directions were clear and I feel confident that the screws were all torqued correctly, something I've never was sure of before. Like a gunsmith told me last weekend when I was looking for a torque wrench locally, I had never torqued a screw on a scope mount or stock screw before. I bought this through Brownells without any bits however my son gave me a set of Craftsman torx 1/4" drivers and they worked great. I started off using a lower setting on the wrench working up until I was at the required torque. Very easy to use. Thanks for a great product. </div></div>

Thank you. BTW, quality of screwdriver bits is very important, as everyones knows... Both Mountz (included in MG4,5,6) and Borka bits (MG7,MG9) bits are very good ones, as far as I was able to evaluate. Made from S2 tool steel, hardened to 58-60 HRc, machined to exact specs. In the future, I'll be offering more high quality bit sets for people who want to upgrade from Borka torque kits w/o bits, like the ones I supply to Brownells (#080-000-968) and for people who want just a high grade screwdriver bits. I'm getting real anal about quality of bits which come from Borka.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thank you. BTW, quality of screwdriver bits is very important, as everyones knows... Both Mountz (included in MG4,5,6) and Borka bits (MG7,MG9) bits are very good ones, as far as I was able to evaluate. Made from S2 tool steel, hardened to 58-60 HRc, machined to exact specs. In the future, I'll be offering more high quality bit sets for people who want to upgrade from Borka torque kits w/o bits, like the ones I supply to Brownells (#080-000-968) and for people who want just a high grade screwdriver bits. I'm getting real anal about quality of bits which come from Borka.</div></div>

I love my Borka tool and the function of it as long as you read the directions. I thought I was smart and didn't have to read the directions and used the wrong side for torquing down my scope base luckily i know a little of what 18in/lbs feels like and realized that it felt too tight and i was over torquing it. other than that it has worked flawlessly i do wonder though why you didn't go with a little bit higher quality 1/4" ratchet it feels kinda cheap but it works and that's what matters right? Any way just my thoughts and i am happy with it and would recommend it to any one and everyone. By the way I have the MG9 form Triad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thank you. BTW, quality of screwdriver bits is very important, as everyones knows... Both Mountz (included in MG4,5,6) and Borka bits (MG7,MG9) bits are very good ones, as far as I was able to evaluate. Made from S2 tool steel, hardened to 58-60 HRc, machined to exact specs. In the future, I'll be offering more high quality bit sets for people who want to upgrade from Borka torque kits w/o bits, like the ones I supply to Brownells (#080-000-968) and for people who want just a high grade screwdriver bits. I'm getting real anal about quality of bits which come from Borka.</div></div>

I love my Borka tool and the function of it as long as you read the directions. I thought I was smart and didn't have to read the directions and used the wrong side for torquing down my scope base luckily i know a little of what 18in/lbs feels like and realized that it felt too tight and i was over torquing it. other than that it has worked flawlessly i do wonder though why you didn't go with a little bit higher quality 1/4" ratchet it feels kinda cheap but it works and that's what matters right? Any way just my thoughts and i am happy with it and would recommend it to any one and everyone. By the way I have the MG9 form Triad </div></div>

My current red color ratchet is a compromise between appearance and function. It actually works great, and also, has an incrediably good bit/bit holder holding capability. It can hold up to 2-3 lbs. of weight of anything mounted into 1/4" hex socket. It is likely does not look and feel as refined as black Mountz ratchet, I agree... But Mountz ratchet does not have as high bit holding capability as the red color ratchet has, due to the relatively shallow depth of the 1/4" hex socket. So, what is more essential for practical purposes? Both are rated pretty much to the same torque, 125+ inch-lbs. Tough call. I need ratchet to be small, light and not expensive, it is strictly an auxiliary item and should not cause considerable price increase.