• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bottom metal question (first post)?

brad.barnett

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2020
I just built a Remington 700 based 338 Lapua using a PT&G Lapua bolt. I built this as a casual fun gun and might use it for semi-long range deer hunting in Georgia fields. I picked up a McMillan stock that has never been fitted and it appears to be inlet for a "drop belly". McMillan said it was for Sunny Hill #530/535 metal. I am having trouble finding these available. What other options do I have for bottom metal? I could go with a detachable magazine if necessary. Not really looking to spend more than $300 for bottom metal on this project. Thanks and looking forward to options to try this gun out.

Brad

Rem_17.jpg

Rem_18.jpg
Rem_19.jpg

Only choice is going to be the sunny hill, just order one from them. You could have it re inlet for dbm but it would look stupid as hell!

Reactions: lash
Stockys I think has long action cdi bottom metals in stock for aics mags and the cdi is an awesome product. Just have some inlet work done to fit it imo it would be awesome not stupid but each there own

It's a drop belly stock, the dbm would be recessed inside the stock and not look correct.

Ya see what your saying now looking at the stock. Maybe still an option if the op wanted to rework the stock a little considering it’s still unfinished but that’s more work. Well hopefully some more people chime in with some ideas.

Thanks for replies. Pacific Tool has two that look like they would work. One is a “canoe” bottom that is extended and one in a magazine style that extends lower than raised area.

911C0BA3-EB80-4E16-9589-3617D5A753CB.png

I happen to have a couple of SH BDL plates for Lapua cartridges on a LA length hole spacing. I bought em years ago and have not used them for anything other than a paperweight. I could not tell you the part number.

These things are close to 15 years old.

If your interested, send me a PM and I'll make an effort to see where I put em.

I happen to have a couple of SH BDL plates for Lapua cartridges on a LA length hole spacing. I bought em years ago and have not used them for anything other than a paperweight. I could not tell you the part number.

These things are close to 15 years old.

If your interested, send me a PM and I'll make an effort to see where I put em.
Problem solved