• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bottom metal question

jayjaytuner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Geneva, New York
this has prob been asked already but i couldnt find it searching....

will a surgeon detachable bottom metal, fit in a badger m5 inlet?

Re: bottom metal question

Yup, basically a simple milling machine job.

The sides of the Surgeon box are parallel, Badger is tapered. IIRC, the box on the Surgeon is slightly longer too. The pillars are lower on the Surgeon, so it gets inletted slightly deeper from the bottom side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E.Shell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, basically a simple milling machine job.
</div></div>

Sounds like you're speaking from experience, eh?
smile.gif

Thanks again for taking the time to inlet mine.

would a stock with Pre-installed pillars from mcmillan work, or would they need to be drilled out etc. (since the surgeon sits lower??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are there any benefits of one over the other? </div></div>Styling, Surgeon has a different, less obtrusive release lever that some may prefer. Otherwise, I don't know and any distinct advantage of one over the other.

From an installation POV, the Surgeon goes in slightly easier for the home hobbyist, because the parallel sides of the box are easier to do on the non-CNC mill than that tapered sides of the Badger.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjaytuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would a stock with Pre-installed pillars from mcmillan work, or would they need to be drilled out etc. (since the surgeon sits lower?? </div></div>The Surgeon will install cleanly in a Badger inlet, but the pre-installed pillars would have to be milled down as the bottom recess is deepened. Rijndael may still have his pillar measurements handy, mine are in the shop at home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with seekins! </div></div>Glenn makes some nice stuff . . . so what are the advantages here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E.Shell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with seekins! </div></div>Glenn makes some nice stuff . . . so what are the advantages here? </div></div>
Magazine allows longer OAL cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E.Shell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rijndael may still have his pillar measurements handy, mine are in the shop at home.</div></div>

Badger .720
Surgeon .663

Badger 1.070
Surgeon 1.075