• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bourbon fans

Re: Bourbon fans

A little ice tones down the proof so that the flavors are more pronounced, however, if you want perfection you need to get some distilled water, boil it, let it cool all the way(repeat three times) then freeze it into cubes. The cubes come out completely clear for the perfect ice for an ice cold bourbon. Benefit is they melt slower too

Switchblade, if you like wheat bourbon you might try some "pappy" van winkle (rip van winkle). Different ages on the bottles but about the best there is, but pricey. seriously.

The best I have ever had -- Eagle Rare!
laugh.gif

trying some-- Elijah Craig -- damn good so far.

I got about four pours of Pappy's left. Waiting for my partner in crime to get back from A-Stan so we can finish it with a pair of Gurkha Archive 1887's

For those of you who aren't clued in:

http://www.bardstownwhiskeysociety.com/

Check out this site if you like Elijah Craig and other bottles from these companies. They send Rebate coupons and from what I see, $5 back for buying bourbon is like a freebie toward the next bottle( I have received about $10 back so far and have one for BErnheim's sitting on the shelf)

Hate to admit it, but with the heat and humidity, it has been Martini time here. Sapphire gin, keep in the freezer. Shaken with a little bit of vermouth and pour up. Bleu cheese stuffed spanish olives. Gin gets a little ice crystal in it when shaken with the ice.
Tastes great on hot afternoon.

If I only had some good home pickled okra to put in that matinit for a little Cajun flare.

Bob in NC,

I am right there with you on the Woodford. It is my fav. However, one of my buddies who really enjoys Bourbon (He was a die-hard Woodford guy) told me to check out 1792 bourbon. I guess I also need to get my hands on this Evan Williams stuff. Looks like right around 30 buck for a fifth. Just like Woodford. At least the wife will be proud of me for being fiscally responsible...

Pork Barbeque and Woodford (From my smokin' post)
302caqp.jpg

Josh

The 1792 is a very light bourbon, akin to 'training wheels' for an intro bourbon to someone who hasn't tried it yet. A friend gave me a bottle a while back. I drank it but as I said I was a little bummed with how much 'bourbon' wasn't in it. Like I said, training wheels
grin.gif

Switch,

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I will be narrowing the search to the Evan Williams instead. I'll also be informing my buddy he needs to replace his axe wound with a sack again.

Josh

I picked up my first bottle of Bulleit yesterday after seeing it talked about here on the Hide. THANK YOU for the suggestion! That could be some of the best bourbon to ever hit my taste buds. If you like bourbon, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of that stuff. Simply great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Booker's rules them all.

(at least it rules me sometimes). </div></div>

You have not tried many if you think Bookers is the best.

It pales in comparison to Pappy Van Winkle 23 year, Blanton's, Premier 15 year, Jefferson Presidential 17year.

I am not a Bourbon snob by any measure but here is how I roll .

Jim Beam and Caffeine free Coke for drinking on the cheap and when I have money Makers Mark on ice or with a splash of Caffeine Free Coke just to keep my wife from thinking I am a lush
wink.gif

A pard recently told me I needed to try the Evan Williams stuff . He is an Old School Black coffee and Bourbon on ice kind of guy who probably has a lot more refined palate than I do . Most of the time I am just trying to get shnockered and Beer just doesn't get me there anymore , mainly due to a tiny bladder ... LOL

Good bourbon - or Scotch, for that matter, should be appreciated with just a splash of water or a <span style="font-style: italic">single</span> ice cube.

Graham introduced me to Woodford Reserve. It's excellent. I invite all who appreciate good alcoholic beverages of any kind to bring samples to Rifles Only, for sharing <span style="font-style: italic">after</span> the shooting day has ended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A pard recently told me I needed to try the Evan Williams stuff . He is an Old School Black coffee and Bourbon on ice kind of guy who probably has a lot more refined palate than I do . </div></div>

He's wise also and was steering you in a very good direction.

The Woodford Reserve is about 30 minutes from my house, I have taken that tour many a time! Its a beautiful place and the people are very generous. It's my Dad's bourbon of choice and he apparently knows the owners of that distillery very well, I can get it in cases for next to nothing now
wink.gif

My sister goes to high school with the oldest son in the Bulleit family. And yes, the same family that makes that excellent bourbon! We enjoy it here on our farm all the time.

KY is ground zero for bourbon, obviously. Anyone who passes thru here, give me a shout and I will get you some nice sample bottles ready!
smile.gif

anyone a fan of george t stagg? I was told its pretty good and a higher proof than most

Staggs is another excellent bourbon. Sometimes hard to find due to limited bottling. Needs a splash of water to take that 140 proof down little so you can get the taste notes of the fine brown liquid.

Stagg is 147 proof. Its stout and goes down with a burn. It's a real man bourbon but as said sip it with some water near by, it will take your breath away with that first sip. I think it's best enjoyed with a cigar.

The George T Stagg 2010 just came out if you can find some Pick it up. And the Sazarac and the sazarac 18 yr is some good stuff but they're Ryes. You know all the Pappy is good too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A pard recently told me I needed to try the Evan Williams stuff . He is an Old School Black coffee and Bourbon on ice kind of guy who probably has a lot more refined palate than I do . </div></div>

He's wise also and was steering you in a very good direction. </div></div>

Now there is a start to a good day!
Black Coffee and Bourbon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a Bourbon snob by any measure but here is how I roll .

Jim Beam and Caffeine free Coke for drinking on the cheap and when I have money Makers Mark on ice or with a splash of Caffeine Free Coke just to keep my wife from thinking I am a lush
wink.gif

A pard recently told me I needed to try the Evan Williams stuff . He is an Old School Black coffee and Bourbon on ice kind of guy who probably has a lot more refined palate than I do . Most of the time I am just trying to get shnockered and Beer just doesn't get me there anymore , mainly due to a tiny bladder ... LOL </div></div>

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond white label is some of the best $12 I have ever spent. I think it's 100 proof so it's a little warmer than regular old whiskey.

i have drank most of what you guys have listed above,

i love woodford reserve and it is one of my most favorites

segrams vo in coke works well for me most of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now there is a start to a good day!
Black Coffee and Bourbon! </div></div>

My buddy says he likes his coffee like he likes his women , Black , Nasty and full of Bourbon
wink.gif

Bad News on the Evan Williams front as they do not sell the "White Bond" in the state of Idaho . I will have to see what we can do to alleviate that situation . The good news is Makers Mark was discounted
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now there is a start to a good day!
Black Coffee and Bourbon! </div></div>

My buddy says he likes his coffee like he likes his women , Black , Nasty and full of Bourbon
wink.gif

Bad News on the Evan Williams front as they do not sell the "White Bond" in the state of Idaho . I will have to see what we can do to alleviate that situation . The good news is Makers Mark was discounted
wink.gif
</div></div> Well, we can get the Evan Williams white bottle in Kalispell on a regular basis. Depending on where you are in ID, maybe you can get some if you are ever in MT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phylodpg,

Evan Williams Single Barrel is OK, and a smooth drink, however, try this:

996041x.jpg

In fact I'm drinking some right now......

Bob </div></div>

Yeh what he said and then some

Must admit, I have been keen to jack daniels single barrel, but after watching this thread and taking quite a few notes
smile.gif
I have decided to expand my palette and test a few of your suggestions.

Picked up a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel yesterday and I am fairly pleased with it, yet thanks to you bastards I have a long shopping list to work on
laugh.gif

^woodford reserve is next on the list btw.

time to pour me a glass and relax with a nice cohiba
grin.gif

I drink knob creek myself if any of you young pups bring a few cases out to the bering sea I will take you on a gents hunt and shooting I wished I lived down there and could make it to the tasters meeting well bless you boys for making a old man tearie eyed & good luck to all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I invite all who appreciate good alcoholic beverages of any kind to bring samples to Rifles Only, for sharing <span style="font-style: italic">after</span> the shooting day has ended.
</div></div>

O.K., deal.

My humble collection and yes I know the Feckin and Jameson aren't bourbons.
wink.gif
It's gotten very lean in the past 3 months. I usually try to have around 8-10 bourbons but haven't been able to maintain my stash lately. The Stagg on the left is 09' and the one on the right is 2010. The 2010 is WAY better than the 09' IMHO. I had to reserve my bottle of Stagg 6 months in advance just to get one and I'm going to reserve my next one for 2011 in a week or two from now. Stagg is by far my favorite and I'm finishing off the last of the 09' as we speak.
grin.gif

DSC00980.jpg

I enjoy the good bourbons although I don't really drink them often enough, I do go after the good simgle malt scotchs though. I had a bottle of Lagavulin that was just liquid gold, my favorite so far, I just bought a bottle of 10 year Laphroaig on sale that I'm looking forward to craching open once I polish off the 12 year Glenfiddich I'm working on now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just picked up another bottle of the new Makers Mark 46, worth a try. </div></div>

You like that stuff??? I hate it! Its grainy and taste like makers that has sat outside for a week with the top off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just picked up another bottle of the new Makers Mark 46, worth a try. </div></div>

You like that stuff??? I hate it! Its grainy and taste like makers that has sat outside for a week with the top off. </div></div>

I haven't even really had a chance to try mine yet. Now you got me all paranoid that its gonna suck.
frown.gif

working on a new bottle of Eagle rare. on the coffee note brew up a strong cup in my Keurig using the iced setting and give it a good wash KY best, now that a fine start of thanksgiving or a nice Saturday Morning. Top it off with a spoonfull of sour-wood and you can have it with pancakes...

Big +1 on the Buffalo Trace, damn good and inexpensive.

Also give Corner Creek, Elijah Craig, and Woodford Reserve a swig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My humble collection and yes I know the Feckin and Jameson aren't bourbons.
wink.gif
It's gotten very lean in the past 3 months. I usually try to have around 8-10 bourbons but haven't been able to maintain my stash lately. The Stagg on the left is 09' and the one on the right is 2010. The 2010 is WAY better than the 09' IMHO. I had to reserve my bottle of Stagg 6 months in advance just to get one and I'm going to reserve my next one for 2011 in a week or two from now. Stagg is by far my favorite and I'm finishing off the last of the 09' as we speak.
grin.gif

DSC00980.jpg
</div></div>

I have a bottle or 3 of the 2010 stagg coming in early December. If it's better than the '09 I will be one happy man. I have about the same amount as you of '09 left and have been holding it tight until a great occasion arises or the I have the 2010 in hand. I'm suprised that no one has listed Basil Haydens, or Noahs Mill. Also you guys need to buck up and get the 1.75 of the Woodford...remember more is better.

I have been drinking Rye lately and have been enjoying some of the High West offerings.

http://www.highwest.com/files/sales_sheets/HW_RR_ProdSht_OL.pdf

I am almost out of Woodford and it will be replaced soon. I also drink Makers and Knob and mix with Jim Beam. Costco has Makers on sale right now. Wanted to go to Whiskey Fest this year in SF but couldn't make the time.

Anyone know where I can get 1 inch silicon ice cube trays?

1037707x.jpg

Just started making some mint juleps with the Woodford. Oh man, that is some good stuff. I normally like my Bourbon with a cube or two, but these mint juleps are tasty.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My humble collection and yes I know the Feckin and Jameson aren't bourbons.
wink.gif
grin.gif

DSC00980.jpg
</div></div>

I have a bottle or 3 of the 2010 stagg coming in early December. If it's better than the '09 I will be one happy man. I have about the same amount as you of '09 left and have been holding it tight until a great occasion arises or the I have the 2010 in hand. I'm suprised that no one has listed Basil Haydens, or Noahs Mill. Also you guys need to buck up and get the 1.75 of the Woodford...remember more is better. </div></div>

The 2010 is WAY different! It's the same flavors but with twice the intensity. The vanilla really stands out well and even though it's a higher proof it's far easier to drink! I'm very happy with it.
smile.gif

Excellent thread guys, keep the suggestions coming....

I picked up the Woodford and it is indeed excellent, Basil Haydens is on my list as well. I will agree that the Makers 46 is a bit on the harsh side, I like the standard Makers Mark better myself.

I would LOVE to pick up a bottle of the 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle but have never seen it in any liquor store around here.

Does anyone ever try to buy their liquor online, if so, any good suggestions?

Just thought I would let all of you guys know that the Woodford Reserve is 12 bucks off at Safeway. A lot of other bourbons were also on sale for this week. Thought of this thread as I passed the liquor section and picked up a bottle to share with my brothers tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nailz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent thread guys, keep the suggestions coming....

I picked up the Woodford and it is indeed excellent, Basil Haydens is on my list as well. I will agree that the Makers 46 is a bit on the harsh side, I like the standard Makers Mark better myself.

I would LOVE to pick up a bottle of the 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle but have never seen it in any liquor store around here.

Does anyone ever try to buy their liquor online, if so, any good suggestions? </div></div>

Try High Times Cellars in Costa Mesa California. Never ordered from them but have been there many times. They have a lot of stuff on hand. I see they have buy buttons on their site.

http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=3&...p;numperpage=30

If it was done right, there is no need to wait.
We could be dead in how many years?
Colors are cool, I like fresh taste.

Just remember that Bourbon is only made in KY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just remember that Bourbon is only made in KY.
</div></div>

Not really. It just needs to meet Congressional requirements. None of which specify it has to be made in Kentucky. However, it does have to be made in the US to be called Bourbon.

Link

Josh