• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bourbon fans

Re: Bourbon fans

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch, they make bad bourbon to put in Coke. </div></div>

eehhhhhhhhhhhh, YUK! I can think of a few things that mix with bourbon(chick's dig it), but the best is ice.
If you ain't man enough to drink your bourbon straight or on ice then maybe a tour of the White Swallow Bar might be in store for you </div></div>

HEHE I thought you 2 are friends. Jack and coke ain't all bad when less desirable beverages are around. A buddy of mine keeps jack and capt. morgan around. If i forget to bring my own i have to mix up his jack. i just can't bring myself to drink rum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch, they make bad bourbon to put in Coke. </div></div>

eehhhhhhhhhhhh, YUK! I can think of a few things that mix with bourbon(chick's dig it), but the best is ice.
If you ain't man enough to drink your bourbon straight or on ice then maybe a tour of the White Swallow Bar might be in store for you </div></div>

HEHE I thought you 2 are friends. Jack and coke ain't all bad when less desirable beverages are around. A buddy of mine keeps jack and capt. morgan around. If i forget to bring my own i have to mix up his jack. i just can't bring myself to drink rum. </div></div>

I have been known to hang out, drink a little bourbon, smoke a cigar or two with the riff raff that have been there and done that. Quite proud of that too! Riff Raff offers only the best company and the good times are always remembered well!

and being called riff raff by Switch is a compliment. He knows how this olde boy takes his bourbon. Poured in crystal and enjoyed.

I plan to buy the most expensive and best tasting bourbon the day my daughter turns 18.

I don't care if it costs $600 a bottle - but all my friends are coming over for a shot to celebrate the last child support payment
smile.gif

See if you can get your hand on some A.H. Hirsch, 16 or 20 year. Great stuff, though hard to find now and expensive as hell when you can find it.

I lucked out and got several bottles a long time ago.

Oh man Scott, that is highly subjective as to best tasting. I would advise sticking with 'most expensive' as a subjective reason.

http://www.drinkupny.com/Michter_s_25_Year_Bourbon_p/s0939.htm

S0939-2T.jpg

I am certain the Pappy Van Winkle's will be found for slightly less but be a little more scarce. You would do well to find this or other bottles as soon as she turns 17, or 16 even

Just a side note, your kids will cost you way more money after they turn 18. Assuming they want an education beyond HS. You might want a few bottles to help ease that fact.

Have to agree that kids are costly after they hit 18. Have two em that completed 4 years of college and related expenses. Now looking at 2 weddings this year.
The real expense is my own fault. Taught the Son about really good bourbon, great cigars and fine firearms. He now goes to the top shelf bourbons, the humidor with the Padrons and LFDs, and the gun safe with the Berreta shotguns and pre-64 Winchester rifles and my custom Colt 1911s. My Daughter is just as bad. He fiance has the same tastes as my Son.
Oh well.

I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace for poker night last weekend. It did not make it through the night. I thought it was very good for a $20 bottle.

This coming Friday night, 1 bottle of Pappy's 15, 3 Gurkha Black dragons, 1 EOD, one recently retired SSG and one really old 1SG, will come together and enjoy each other's company until that bottle is gone that night.

Good times will be had by all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace for poker night last weekend. It did not make it through the night. I thought it was very good for a $20 bottle. </div></div>

I agree. It's a great cost to quality value.

We have heard just this morning that one EOD Tech is now inbound from ATLANTA! This 'school boy' is ready to see some good friends and enjoy the company of warriors in the endevour to commit arson to some good tobaccos and quaf a good bottle of bourbon!

OK Guys - my daughter has 4 years until she is 18.

I want to buy the absolute worlds BEST bourbon to share with my friends, cost is NOT an issue.

List them in order.........?

Evan Williams 23 year old is about $375 a bottle. The Heaven Hill distillery has a very limited edition bourbon that goes for about $500 a bottle that I believe is only available at the distillery

Scott, RJW knows his stuff. You should make reservations after talking to the folks at Heaven Hill. I am sure when you explain why you are travelling that far for a premium bottle you will be treated accordingly. Of course you may have to watch that leftie coast stuff around them country girls
grin.gif

Scott,
The most expensive bourbon may not be the best taste to you. I have had expensive wines, scotches and others that tasted like everyday stuff to me. I was at the Hans Kornel winery a few years ago and know the manager. He kept talking about their award winnng cab and it was a deal at $120 a bottle. After listening to him of a couple of hours, I told him to open a bottle and I would be the judge of what he was saying. Well, I tasted it and looked in the eye and told him that I have had better. Now Dennis is 6'6" and goes a good 350 lb, but I thought he was going to cry. Taste lies with the taster.

What type of bourbon do you like. What tastes notes do you prefer. Also do you prefer it straight with a little ice or water. If you are going to spend major $$, you want a bourbon that tastes great to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch, they make bad bourbon to put in Coke. </div></div>

Whiskey stones,,,,really!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Evan Williams Single Barrel.

If you haven't, you need to.

Thank me later. </div></div>

Been drinking since the 90's have 2 bottles in pantry. TGM

Have two types of bourbons. Everyday drinking bourbon and the top shelf stuff.
On the Everyday list is Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Bulliet, Knob Creek, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 101, Jim Beam Black, Elijah Craig 12 yr and Evan Williams Single Barrel. Depending on the day, one of these goes in the crystal with an ice cube and I call it a day.

Daily: Bulleit, Woodford's
Monthly: Baker's
Special Occasion: Rittenhouse 21y/o Rye, Pappy van Winkle's 23 y/o

I got a small shelf and a shallow wallet so my collection is not up to standard with the deep wallet crew. I would love to have a collection of daily's, monthly's and special occasional's, but that will come with a degree and a new job in about four years or so

If you have the bucks to spend, try this one. I saw it on Malt Advocate.

http://www.maltadvocate.com/whisky_reviews.asp

<span style="font-weight: bold">92 Glenfiddich, 50 year old, 46.1% Price: $16,000.00</span>

We’re drinking liquid history here. Antique gold color. Aromas of dried citrus, lemongrass, and ginger with background honeyed vanilla, dried herb, bouquet of roses, and a wisp of smoke. Very long and evolving on the palate, going from sweet to dry: vanilla custard, crème brulee, white chocolate, candied citrus, juicy oak, polished leather, dried tobacco, and then resinous oak, with teasing dry roasted nuts and hint of peat bog throughout. Long dry, resinous finish. Remarkably well-maintained for its age. I can tell that it’s an old whisky, but it shows good complexity. It’s not tired and excessively oaked.
When compared to the 30 year old and 40 year old expressions, it’s actually more vibrant and youthful than the 40 sample I have. Yet it doesn’t have the deft balance and roundness which I consider a hallmark of the 30. Bottom line here: Anyone who can afford this whisky and actually drinks it will not be disappointed. It’s really nice. But for us regular folk, try to pick up a 30 year old Glenfiddich if you can find one and you won’t go wrong with the whisky -- or the price (relatively speaking, that is).
(Vol. 18, #4)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the bucks to spend, try this one. I saw it on Malt Advocate.

http://www.maltadvocate.com/whisky_reviews.asp

<span style="font-weight: bold">92 Glenfiddich, 50 year old, 46.1% Price: $16,000.00</span>

We’re drinking liquid history here. Antique gold color. Aromas of dried citrus, lemongrass, and ginger with background honeyed vanilla, dried herb, bouquet of roses, and a wisp of smoke. Very long and evolving on the palate, going from sweet to dry: vanilla custard, crème brulee, white chocolate, candied citrus, juicy oak, polished leather, dried tobacco, and then resinous oak, with teasing dry roasted nuts and hint of peat bog throughout. Long dry, resinous finish. Remarkably well-maintained for its age. I can tell that it’s an old whisky, but it shows good complexity. It’s not tired and excessively oaked.
When compared to the 30 year old and 40 year old expressions, it’s actually more vibrant and youthful than the 40 sample I have. Yet it doesn’t have the deft balance and roundness which I consider a hallmark of the 30. Bottom line here: Anyone who can afford this whisky and actually drinks it will not be disappointed. It’s really nice. But for us regular folk, try to pick up a 30 year old Glenfiddich if you can find one and you won’t go wrong with the whisky -- or the price (relatively speaking, that is).
(Vol. 18, #4) </div></div>

id rather do something more productive with my 16G's then get one bottle of freaking liquor !!!!! They can keep that stuff.

Seeing that knife takes me back a few years: It is very 'Marseilles'; it speaks of tradition, lawlessness, and l'Algerie - all things that go well with good Bourbon.
laugh.gif

Gents, being an overly experienced bourbon drinker (I come from the Deep South and my Mammy taught me) you are missing out if you don't give Basil Hayden's a shot. Shot. Get it? Anyway, I was a confirmed Woodford Reserve drinker until I got some of this. Enjoy!

Pappy Van Winkle Reserve.
Then Knob Creek.
The good news is that there are a lot of good bourbons available.
Haven't had any since early September. Doctor's orders.
Can't do alcohol with chemo.
I sure do miss it.

I'm having some Baker's as I type. Man is it smooth for a 107 proof. I still think the Pritchard's Double Barrel is smoother, but it doesn't give me the blur I'm after right now.

Got a fifth of Pendelton and Bakers, always been a simple Crown Royal drinker but figured I'd give these a try. Not bad. Bookers was about $60ish a fifth and the Pendelton was $30ish. Pendleton is a blended and the Bookers is a Jim Beam Premium.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just remember that Bourbon is only made in KY.
</div></div>

Not really. It just needs to meet Congressional requirements. None of which specify it has to be made in Kentucky. However, it does have to be made in the US to be called Bourbon.

Link

Josh
</div></div> I think for it to be straight bourbon it does. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been working at Ft Knox this week and had the chance to have some Four Roses for dinner. Nice bourbon: smelled like caramel and had a sweet taste that finished with that familiar burn. Pappy's is still way better, but Four Roses isn't a bad option, especially if you haven't tried it.

i guess to each own. I too, purchased 4 roses and couldn't stand it. To me, the taste is very different from the familiar Bourbons. So far from reading this damn thread:
Woodford reserve (wonderful)
Evan Williams 10 yr white label (alittle light on the sip but very good finish
Basil hayden also very good
I purchased george stagg but have not opened it yet
I still enjoy Old Grand dad.
Thats it so far
I would like to try Pappy VW as everybody seems to love the stuff.

This just happens to be my favorite driving song lately

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtGOQTwnFr8&playnext=1&list=PL8E30B9293B05651F"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtGOQTwnFr8&playnext=1&list=PL8E30B9293B05651F" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pappy Van Winkle Reserve.
Then Knob Creek.
The good news is that there are a lot of good bourbons available.
Haven't had any since early September. Doctor's orders.
Can't do alcohol with chemo.
I sure do miss it. </div></div>

PVW is amazing - im sure youll toast with it when your all healed up. Take care.

I tried Knob Creek last weekend. It was on sale because it was in a box with happy holidays 2010 on it. It was still more expensive than Buffalo Trace, and I did not like it as much. I am going to pick up something else after work today.

Whats the best way to go about making super pure ice cubes? I can taste the shit in the water from the faucet from ice with every sip of bourbon and its driving me nuts!
mad.gif

I used to like my whiskey on the rocks, but a splash of bottled water really makes the flavors come out. Give it a try, that may work better for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the best way to go about making super pure ice cubes? I can taste the shit in the water from the faucet from ice with every sip of bourbon and its driving me nuts!
mad.gif
</div></div>

Try buying distilled water. That should be 100% pure.

For really good ice, start with distilled water. I boil an cool the water 4 times to take the air out of the water. Yeah sounds crazy but this is how you get a crystal clear ice cube that melts a lot slower than the stuff that comes out of your icemaker. Make big cubes. I make round ice balls and that are 2 inches in diameter.

February 18th, 2011
<span style="font-weight: bold">Malt Advocate Whisky Awards “American Whiskey of the Year”: Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (2010 Release)</span>

John Hansell

Roll these names off your tongue: Stagg. Handy. Weller. Sazerac. Eagle Rare. Now wrap it all up with Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. Collectively, these are the bottles that American whiskey lovers go nuts for every year, tracking them down on shelves three or four states away, swapping and trading for them.

They drink them, they don’t just collect them, because these are really good whiskeys. Any one of them — three bourbons, two ryes — has the potential to snag this award in any given year, and some years they have. But one’s usually a lot better, and sometimes one is under par that year, and that’s kind of good: you don’t have to buy all of them.

This year, though…the stars are aligned, and you’d better get out your checkbook. This is probably the strongest Antique Collection as a collection since Buffalo Trace started sending out allocations of these five excellent spirits. Weller: layers of lusciousness. Stagg: finely-carved power. Eagle Rare: beautifully balanced corn and oak. Handy: barely-restrained youth. Sazerac: smoothly spicy.

http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2011/01/06/review-buffalo-trace-antique-collection-2010-release/

Antique-Collection-family-shot-2.jpg

I can't believe Switchblade is the only one who has mentioned Military Special. I go for regular old Jim Beam (price, availability, and thats what Dad always drank) about ninety percent of the time. Maker's, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Booker's and Baker's fill in the other ten percent. I usually go 50/50 with water over ice, but sometimes use Gold Peak unsweetened ice tea in place of water. By the way is there any back-story on why Maker's spells it "Whisky" rather than "Whiskey"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Booker's rules them all.

(at least it rules me sometimes). </div></div>

You have not tried many if you think Bookers is the best.

It pales in comparison to Pappy Van Winkle 23 year, Blanton's, Premier 15 year, Jefferson Presidential 17year. </div></div>

How does the Jefferson 18 year compare to the 17 year? Any input on that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRAKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe Switchblade is the only one who has mentioned Military Special. I go for regular old Jim Beam (price, availability, and thats what Dad always drank) about ninety percent of the time. Maker's, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Booker's and Baker's fill in the other ten percent. I usually go 50/50 with water over ice, but sometimes use Gold Peak unsweetened ice tea in place of water. By the way is there any back-story on why Maker's spells it "Whisky" rather than "Whiskey"? </div></div>

The spellings go farther back than 1865. The Scotch spelled it without the 'e', while the Americans spelled with the 'e'. Many of the settlers who made the stills in the earliest days of American Whiskey came from Scotland, Ireland, Denmark, and Wales to escape CoE Protastant persecution.
As to 'Military Special' that stuff is always the bottom shelf's staple, and I have only seen a bottle in my hand when I was a young assed punk Marine> every kid knew Military Special was the vrapiest stuff on teh shelf and since Jim was up above it, Jim must be good, and Wild Turkey was almost to the top so it was even better, adn we pretty much didn't mess with top shelf stuff since it would allow more funds for drinking beer and cheaper whiskey or tequila