• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bourbon fans

Re: Bourbon fans

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Booker's rules them all.

(at least it rules me sometimes). </div></div>

You have not tried many if you think Bookers is the best.

It pales in comparison to Pappy Van Winkle 23 year, Blanton's, Premier 15 year, Jefferson Presidential 17year. </div></div>

How does the Jefferson 18 year compare to the 17 year? Any input on that? </div></div>

Both Jefferson Presidentials are outstanding. I have a case of the 17 always on hand and have had a bottle or two of the 18. My preference is the 17 year just for sipping sake.

Despite my allegiance to Booker's, I picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee yesterday. My initial reaction to last night's testdrive was pleasant. Very smooth and not overpowering. Doing the backyard BBQ today & will enjoy some more.

So far
elmer lee is a great value as is the evan williams white bottle 10 yr. I actually prefer the pappy reserve 20 yr to the 23 year. Woodford reserve is very good, as the basil hayden. I haven't tried the georrge stag yet....yet.

Try the Pappy 15 as well. Costco has just introduced their own 7 year bourbon for $20 a bottle. Have a bottle on the shelf to try one of these days.

424608_10150552322208093_164109138092_9263660_1776310825_n.jpg

Graham... Is that stuff any good. I see something I haven't had and am going on the hunt as I type this. Cask Strength Rye's are a very close 2nd to bourbon to me.

I hear y'all.

I am a firm believer in cheap likker. I use 2 liter bottles of Crystal Palace Gin (I always keeps me Gin in the Freezer, 'longside me G&T beer mug, don't y'all?) for my G&T's and Wild Turkey for my Manhattans.

The main problem with 'spensive likker is I might get to liken' it, and then where would we be? 'Dicted to the 'spensive stuff?

Nah! No way, Dudes and Dudesses...

Just bought some Jim Beam Devil's Cut. I like it, has a good oak smell with spice at first then finishes with a nice buttery flavor. I recommend it. Now time to pair it up with a good cigar.

Jim Beam has a premium small batch out that is called Rye 1 "ri 1" on the bottle. VERY nice ranks up there with the small batch bourbons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is where my collection stands at the moment. Ain't a one of em I'd turn my nose up at!
IMG_3764.jpg
</div></div>

Phylodog that is a very nice collection. I have had all but the Russell's. Hard to beat Eagle Rare for the price some others to try. Jefferson's, Basil Hayden (some don't like the after taste), Noah's Mill, Rowan Creek, Black Maple Hill, all good Noah's is probably at the top of my list right now.

Just tried some Pendeltons last weekend, it was a little sweet but very smooth. I hear 8 Seconds is suppose to be good also but we can't get it in Oklahoma

What's the consensus on Pappy's 15 YO?

Still working on my bourbon palate, it's coming around. Got a bottle of Makers and 18YO Elijah Craig on hand. The Elijah is certainly drinkable, the Makers will be for mixing. Had some Knob Creek in the bar and thought it was pretty damn good. Of course I'd downed a couple six packs of beer before that so anything would taste good at that point I guess.

Might have to go with Knob Creek for my next bottle, but that 15 year Pappy's sounds interesting too.

Pappy 15 year old is awesome for the money. The more years you add = the more money you spend.

I prefer the 15 to the 20 actually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pappy 15 year old is awesome for the money. The more years you add = the more money you spend.

I prefer the 15 to the 20 actually. </div></div>

+1

Knob Creek is always around. If you can get the Pappy buy it.

I just started trying to get a good understanding of the difference in bourbons, or whiskeys for that matter. Here is what I like so far, haven't had the pleasure of pappy yet but sure hope too. Any free samples available I can handle shipping!

Wood Reserve
Elijah Craig 12 year old
Jack single barrel
1792 Ridgemont small batch

I usually keep a bottle of Pappy around for discerning customers. Let me know if you're in the Charlotte AO and would like a splash.
PB191199.jpg

Sounds like a good plan, my brothr lives in Charlotte so I might be in the area this year. Thanks

Tried a new bourbon. Barrel proof and only 4 years old, but amazing taste. About 26 a bottle. Backbone bourbon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For really good ice, start with distilled water. I boil an cool the water 4 times to take the air out of the water. Yeah sounds crazy but this is how you get a crystal clear ice cube that melts a lot slower than the stuff that comes out of your icemaker. Make big cubes. I make round ice balls and that are 2 inches in diameter.</div></div>

This man knows his business...quoted for truth!

Eagle rare is tough to beat at any price. Same for Elmer T Lee.

I like wild turkey rare breed .
I have never heard of
pappy van winkle, basil hayden, laphroig, elijah craig, rowans creek, bakers 107, buffalo trace, sazerac rye, brooker's, bulleit, or pritchards double barrel..

Looks like I have a nice new shopping list.
All my friends drink beer. Im the only bourbon drinker in the group.

AS of last night, I can truly say that Basil Hayden's is a superb match for the richness of a Gurkha Assassin Dagger(Rothschild). By the time the last inch was trying to burn my fingers and teh wrapper was starting to open up from the heat, I was feeling quite satisfied with both the bourbon and the cigar.
With Candide, B. Cereus, Staph. Aureus, Strep. p/e&a, and Enterococcus sp. on my mind it was great to just sit, drink, smoke and enjoy the peaceful evening.
I will say this about B. Cereus, with a little Malachite green, and Safran red, the colors at 1000x kick ass

I just finished off a nice drink of Devil's Cut. Very woody flavor, I liked it, but I would probably take regular Jim Beam over it.

I'll take a pass on that stuff. Many have gone to the stills to get a barrel to steam out the whiskey that was left in the wood. My guess is it isn't all what the hype says it is, besides, Jim Black is good stuff so why change that? For a daily, I really like my old Wild Turkey 101, but Bulleit and Woodford's are always good, Eagle Rare is good, then there's the Mitcher's, the Rowan's Creek, the Rittenhouse 23, and The Baker's. Not too many of my bottles have more than 1 pour or two left in them since I rotate what I drink when I drink...gotta keep the corks wet yanno!

Customer introduced me to Old Forester and it's been a pantry staple ever since.
Not saying it's the only bourbon in the pantry, but I'm a fan.

Try wild turkey rare breed if you haven't, shit is pure from the barrel and good.

I drink it neat, I save the ice for when women or my other buddies come by. I think it's pathetic when a man looks at the proof, %/alcohol, and panics... They then turn to beer... Sad

Sazerac 18yr and a Tatuaje Reserva Cojonu 2009 VERY good stuff. I know technically the Sazerac is a Rye but this one is fantastic and is right there with any great Bourbon.

Question; How in the world do I find a bottle of George T Stagg? I have never even seen it in AZ. I am guessing I am going to have to go ask my friends at Total Wine to put me on some kind of waiting list.

Also, anyone a Middleton fan?

round these parts George T Stagg is everywhere. Pappy van winkle is tough to come by in any year. Though, when you find it its almost always the 23 yr bottle, i guess nobody wants to spend around 200 a bottle.
I don't care for the Jim Beam stuff,including Devils cut, they are almost too nutty.
For big name brands, Ole Grand dad is good in a pinch.
Bullit bourbon and RYE are still my goto picks, when pappy is not in the house, that is.

Even looking at the web it looks like this stuff is much earier to come by in the eastern part of the country. You are closer to where it is bottled, guess it is the same reason you can find 10 different kinds of +$100 tequila in any large liquor store here in AZ. Want to trade, tequila for Bourbon? HA!

I must say, that Basil Hayden's has a certain sweetness when paired with a Gurkha Assassin Dagger.
If I ever get up to Kentucky when I can get some time and find a bottle of Stagg's, I may hijack it and sell it for a nice price hereabouts. I hear it's worth it's weight in gold to some, and some have it, many don't and all want it. See just how much the laws of supply and demand work round here
wink.gif

Alright! My local BevMo found a bottle of Stagg for me and had a bottle of Handy in stock. No Pappy but he said he would give me a call when they get it but probably not until the next release.

Switchblade I picked up an Assassin along with another Tatuaje to try out with the Handy this weekend. Or sooner, may not be able to hold off to the weekend.

Cheers!

Bought some Basil Hayden's yesterday, I love it. Went good with a Romeo Y Julieta maduro reserve and backstrap wrapped in bacon. Got the recipe from the Game Cookery thread

Basil Hayden's has been pretty good the couple of bottles I have had. I do prefer something with a bit more complexity which is why I am really enjoying Buffalo Trace at the moment.

Josh

Love Knob Creek,My friends brother is a Jim Beam rep. and sends me "presents" I love the swinging cradle he sent me,i guess they're discontinued now.
dfnkwld010.jpg