• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

boydes stock on savage

Thresher96

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2014
Hi I'm thinking a boydes stock for my savage. I am debating between the thumbhole stock or a tacticool stock. Both I will have to widen the barrel channel for heavy barrel. Used fot hog and deer hunting and shooting paper. Which one?

both are only a few oz diff in weight.

probably will come down to what grip angle you are more comfortable with.

don't rule out the prairie hunter stock, it's pretty nice too.

if you have other rifles you use frequently, probably using the more familiar of the grips to your other rifles you have would be the way to go.

I have a prairie hunter on my Axis and love the rig for how I use it: combo of hunting with lots of carrying. The only thing I found needed fixing was the comb height. It was a bit low for me and I picked up a cheapo stock pouch and it raised the point where I get my cheek weld just enough. The stock I got was a perfect drop in with no extra inletting required. The balance of the rifle seems better for those quick shots too.

both are only a few oz diff in weight.

probably will come down to what grip angle you are more comfortable with.

don't rule out the prairie hunter stock, it's pretty nice too.

if you have other rifles you use frequently, probably using the more familiar of the grips to your other rifles you have would be the way to go.
I have a Tacticool and a prairie on two other rifles. A savage 22 and a modified mosin nagant. Love them both I just thought my heavy barreled savage would look better on the thumb hole or tacticool. The prairie is a good stock got great accuracy from it.

I was more worried about because i have to open up the barrel channel to fit the heavy barrel i just didnt know if the thumb hole would have enough room on either side.

They look like they are solid. Need pillars. But they are way batter than factory Tupperware. I might get one for my .223 tactical.

Tacticool would be pretty good for that it has a really comfortabel feel. Just the look of the thumbhole

If you are going to get the Tacticool, upgrade to the laminate colored versions. They use a much better type of wood. The regular painted ones are prone to cracking. The wood is junk. Not the same as the colored ones.

The laminates are nice, solid. The tacticool felt better to me in all shooting positions. I've personally never cared for the thumb hole style. Always too thick or too thin.

_MG_2333_zps895c5778.jpg

This is a factory Savage laminate which most likely is made by Boyd's . It was ok but now much better after I made and installed my own adjustable hardware. Not real hip with laminates but it is growing on me. Can't say what style this one is called.