• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boyds Tacticool Stock, what gives...

Jake B.

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Liberty, MO.
Hey guys, a couple weeks back I ordered a tacticool stock for my savage 93R17. About a week later the stock showed up and it turned out that they had boxed the wrong stock up as the inletting was for some other type of rifle. I ended up sending that one back and have since received the correct stock. Shit happens, I'm not too worried about it.

So, heres where it gets interesting...I went to install the stock and noticed a couple things:

1. The factory action screws are too long. Not too big of a deal, I can just put some shorter ones in.

2. This is the one that has me a little stumped. The area where the trigger guard screws on is recessed so much that the trigger guard contacts the trigger before the stock. This is going to be a problem. Any ideas on how to fix that one? It looks like I am going to have to build that area of the stock up, or use some kind of spacer??

Either way I just wanted to post my findings. I am not sure if this is common to have to fit a stock to a gun like this or if I am getting jerked around (my XLR chassis bolted right up no problem). The only thing I can think of is that the stock is for a 93R, and my gun is a 93R17...I dont think this would matter, but maybe it does. Can anyone offer some insight on any of this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 47
That's interesting. I don't think mine fit up like that. Mine is a 22 and not a 17. As far as I know the guns are identical with the exception of the caliber.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yeah that is what I assumed also. I am pretty sure I have even seen 17's on here with that stock on them. Something just doesn't seem right in the trigger guard area to me; which of all things you would think the trigger guard area would be the most universal area on the stock. If they would have just recessed the rear action screw and not the entire strip below the trigger guard I think it would work just fine.

I would send it back. It's not right and you will never be really happy with it. Would you buy one off the rack that was that way? Not likely so don't start out wacked.

Well I emailed customer service last night with some pictures and an explanation of the problems. I will let you guys know what I find out. Hopefully if this is the kind of product that Boyds is putting out other people on here will see this thread before wasting their time and money. Stay tuned.

Get the bottom metal from DIP, it is thicker. But, I never had a problem. Looks like too much material removal. Boyds will make good on it....

I think I read somewhere that the plastic trigger guard is a no go with those stocks. I got the DIP set when I got mine. Mine was originally molded into the stock so I had to get the metal one anyway. I hope Boydes gets you squared away.

Well to avoid sending it back again I found the trigger guard that Boyds sells and ordered it. It looks to be the proper thickness for the amount of material that was removed. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

I think the second paragraph after the bright red Attention Customer header will solve your problem. This is on Boyd's website Tacticool page.