• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brainstorming a new project...

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
My bolt rifle is on the last leg of its build, and idle hands are the devils workshoppe... I need a new project! I dont have an auto-rifle, and I have liked all the AR's Ive had in the past. Ive got a good idea of what I want, but I am by no means well versed in the AR world.

My first decision is an upper and lower to build on...
I am liking the LOOKS of the VLTOR MUR or rifle length VIS with deflector and assist. I dont see why they dont make lowers though? How is the availability of a MagPul lower, are the two compatible?

EDIT: And I see I wont be getting a Magpul lower
smile.gif

Re: Brainstorming a new project...

i'd say save $100+ and go with a standard upper.

for a little more than the cost of the MUR, you could pick up a hand fitted Noveske upper and lower (last time i checked they were going for $270).

Re: Brainstorming a new project...

I have one of the MUR uppers and it is nicer feeling than the normal upper. Mine had a tight hole for the barrel ext. but i decided to keep it since i was going for a precision build. I heated the upper and cooled the barrel and it just dropped in. I felt that it gave a better fit since i did feel the barrel stop on the upper. If i couldnt have gotten it to completely bottom out i would have sent it back to Vltor. Oh and i did reheat it to be sure i could get the barrel back out.
wink.gif
I think it was in the over at about 350 for about 6 min. The barrel was a Noveske. If i had the extr4a money i would buy another one but in reality im not sore it really offers any appreciable benefit accuracy wise. I have one of the tools to lap the face of a receiver and the normal ones ive done were off slightly. The Vltor one looked good so i don't think i even went through the anodizing on it.

As for the lower i wouldn't try for magpul. They simply arn't available. If you want something similar i would look into the AR15.com one as it has some similar features it looks like. If you could get one the knights one with the sling cups in it would be nice. I would be interested to check out Vltors new extended buffer assy but i like my UBR too much to lose it.