• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brake for Howa HS Precision 300 win mag

Apothus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2007
Prescott, Arizona
I'm looking at getting the rifle mentioned in the title. It comes with a pre-threaded muzzle but its 1/2x28 in 300 win mag. Doing searches all I could find in the real popular brakes was 5/8x24 thread. I asked Howa and they confirmed it is the correct thread pitch and recommended a radial brake with ports all the way around the brake. This I do not want.

Can anyone recommend a 1/2x24 30 caliber brake with a chamber design?

Depending on the brake you might be able to open a 223 brake for your gun as most of them will be threaded 1/2x28

I'm looking at getting the rifle mentioned in the title. It comes with a pre-threaded muzzle but its 1/2x28 in 300 win mag. Doing searches all I could find in the real popular brakes was 5/8x24 thread. I asked Howa and they confirmed it is the correct thread pitch and recommended a radial brake with ports all the way around the brake. This I do not want.

Can anyone recommend a 1/2x24 30 caliber brake with a chamber design?
How did you get one threaded 1/2x28, factory specs by Howa say 5/8x24?

How did you get one threaded 1/2x28, factory specs by Howa say 5/8x24?
Straight out of their catalog

1539880678355.png

I'll bet you a donut that it's a typo, and it's really the std. 5/8x24 thread size they use on their 308's

Howa has someone that answers questions on this forum - ask @Matt @ LSI - he'll give you the right answer!

Have fun,
Bob S.

I'll bet you a donut that it's a typo, and it's really the std. 5/8x24 thread size they use on their 308's

Howa has someone that answers questions on this forum - ask @Matt @ LSI - he'll give you the right answer!

Have fun,
Bob S.

I thought the same thing, so I contacted Howa through their Facebook page. They said that it is correct and not a typo

The OPs rifle is a hunting taper, it's threaded 1/2"x28. There isn't enough muzzle diameter to do 5/8" x24.

sorry, thats just not going to happen. when we looked at doing 6.8 or 6.5 grendel, grendel won that argument by a long shot.