• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Brake in ss tumbler

lance2121

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2012
southwest mo
Would it hurt the threads on my brake to tumble it in my ss pins? I've soaked it overnight in the "dip".....just needs some more cleaning.

It could. Pins might damage the thread crest. Not worth the risk. Your brake doesn't need to be like new clean. Leave it in carbon cleaner a week, then make a pick from a thin bronze rod. You'll get most, if not all the caked on carbon removed.

Reactions: BigdaddyWSM
I agree, when I tumbled my brass in SS pins it rolled the case mouths in and had to deburr them again.

Casey

I agree, when I tumbled my brass in SS pins it rolled the case mouths in and had to deburr them again.

Casey
Try Southern Shine Media in FaceBook. They sell stainless steel chips that work great. Being smaller they get into the primer pocket, easily pour out of the case, and don't peen the brass. I moved to them about two years ago.

1583491697232.png

Reactions: MarinePMI
bore tech C4 carbon remover. put it on and let it soak, removes the carbon ring from barrels by leaving a wet patch inside for maybe 20-30 min. Maybe it will work on the brake.

Reactions: jmw
Just set it in boretech c4 for an hour and a screw driver with its wide blade easily scrapes carbon off in large swaths, a steel bristle brush does fine as well. A little pick for the inside and curves.

I've tumbled a really dirty brake that wasn't cleaning up with carbon remover overnight in stainless pins, soap, and water... Got it spotless and zero thread damage. We're not talking about soft brass here like a case mouth that can peen over from excessive tumbling, the brake threads are steel or stainless steel.

I wouldn't tumble a cerakoted brake, and probably wouldn't recommend it on a lightweight aluminum brake as it may peen the edges and threads. But I can say it did a great job on a bare stainless brake.

Last edited:
Works fine in a wet tumbler with pins.

I’ve done brakes 20+ times with the threads exposed.

The Area 419 website says specifically not to clean brake in SS tumbler or using Lemi shine sonce it will turn pinkish. just soak with carbon cleaner & brush.

I've tumbled suppressor baffles and threaded caps in SS media. No damage to report.