• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Brake on Remmy 308? Need help!

Re: Brake on Remmy 308? Need help!

Several breaks out there. You can just do a web search for "Muzzle Breaks for rifles"

Some brands to get you started

SureFire
PainKiller
Yankee Hill

Deadly Precision Gun Smithing
Qwner: Lorenzon Young
is who I go to for builds

Something like a break, may be better to find a smith locally.
Again, a search on the web may help you out.

Breaks with side ports, like SureFire, will need to be timed. Round breaks, from my knowledge, with ports all the way around the unit do not need to be timed.

Good Luck and good shooting!

I have a Badger Thruster on my 700 .308.
I really like it because it is not big. It can be turned down in a lathe to perfectly match your barrel contour. If installed correctly, it will be so seamless that it will look like grooves cut in a barrel.

It does its job and reduces recoil without looking like a howitzer. However, supposedly the howitzer types are the most effective brakes out there.

As far as what smith can install it....take your pick. I would think any reputable gunsmith can easily install one. The big thing would be finding a smith who can turn it around for you really quick.

If you are looking to get your barrel threaded and the whole 9yards I would consider sending it to Paul Fakenbridge @Pro Precision Rifles. www.BOLTFLUTING.COM If you are just looking for a brake I agree with Killer Spade check out RWS brakes. That's what I rock on my 308 and it recoils like a 223. I watch my bullets hit target at 100 yards. Both of these guys are sponsors here on the hide too. Happy shopping

The type of brake depends on the muzzle's OD and intended use. If you will be shooting prone in the dirt, go for a side ported brake. Some brakes, like Badger FTE, require a minimum OD.

I personally have been very pleased with the Badger FTE, and so has my wife. We like the look too.

APA makes a nice looking "bastard" brake product line.

RWS is a pretty good value, but I'm not sure how it compares performance wise to the larger brakes.

Surefire brakes look pretty nice too.

i had Benchmark barrels thread and install a muscle break 3 port on my 260, i didn't want a huge one so the one they picked is only .125" biger than the barrel, this rifle quick like a 10/22 now. Well worth the time and money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Ross Schuler, RWS here on the Hide.
He makes an awesome brake for $45. </div></div>

+1

Ross's brakes work great

I run one on my 308 and my 7mm saum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can just do a web search for "Muzzle Breaks for rifles" </div></div>

Take his advice and you will probably just get this:
muzzle_4jpg-tfb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvgolfer962</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Ross Schuler, RWS here on the Hide.

+1

Ross's brakes work great

I run one on my 308 and my 7mm saum. </div></div>

You can't go wrong with a brake from Ross. Worked really well on my 308.

thers one called a "fat bastard" A+

i have a spikes tactual dyna comp on mine its pretty good but their are betters but for the money the dynacomp 89.00

+1 badger thruster,much reduced recoil on a PSS 308, no bottom ports so good going prone.
Something to think about though, how much life is in your old barrel? It could be a couple hundred $$ by the time its all done.

just a voice in the wilderness here, but why do you want a brake? there are perfectly good reasons to put one on but ask yourself the hard question.

i had a badger brake on a GAP .308 M40 barreled action that i put into an AICS. worked fine. pissed off my neighbors on the firing line. it added quite a bit of weight forward.

so, i took it off just to see. there was some more recoil, i suppose - but i could still eyeball my impacts thru my glass. my neighbors weren't running and hiding. i liked the balance improvement so much, i had ken breda lop off 2 inches of barrel (including the threading for the brake) which makes running around with it a lot easier.

not trying to talk you out of a brake-ing your .308. just make sure the downsides are acceptable to you.

I had a Little Bastard installed and the gunsmith turned it to match the barrel taper. He was able to get a seamless fit because I run HV#17 barrel that tapers to .900". It looks and shoots great, even the others that have shot it turn around with a smile.

+1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2_many_dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just a voice in the wilderness here, but why do you want a brake? there are perfectly good reasons to put one on but ask yourself the hard question.

i had a badger brake on a GAP .308 M40 barreled action that i put into an AICS. worked fine. pissed off my neighbors on the firing line. it added quite a bit of weight forward.

so, i took it off just to see. there was some more recoil, i suppose - but i could still eyeball my impacts thru my glass. my neighbors weren't running and hiding. i liked the balance improvement so much, i had ken breda lop off 2 inches of barrel (including the threading for the brake) which makes running around with it a lot easier.

not trying to talk you out of a brake-ing your .308. just make sure the downsides are acceptable to you.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Ross Schuler, RWS here on the Hide.

I've searched the forum and can't find it. Any help?

I'm putting one on my 7-08 now so that I stand a better chance at spotting my hits (or misses) on the steel. Too much hop off the bipod on the bench and I need to re-acquire faster.

Got nothing at all to do with reducing felt recoil, for it's own sake.

No one seems to mind (well, I'm sure they do, but...) the .50's blasting both sides for three benches...so I'm sure my 'lil 7-08 won't bother anyone.

I've got a Badger FTE on my .308 rifle. Installation is pretty straightforward; I did the work myself, so any moderately competent gunsmith should be able to do it.

The recoil reduction isn't what I'd consider to be substantial, since a heavy rifle in .308 with a squishy recoil pad is pretty tame without a brake. If one shoots from a somewhat-confined area (such as from a pickup bed), the noise increase can definitely be considered substantial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrmojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. Any experience with vais? </div></div>
I really like the Vais muzzle brake, I have been using one on my Remington Seven for over 10 years now and it's great, only thing need to be considered is that since its round it will raise dust while shooting in sandy places
Hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrmojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. Any experience with vais? </div></div>

The Vais Muzzle Brake works very well, I have three. But, they increase noise/blast & blow up dirt etc when prone and you can't shoot an F Class match with one on your rifle.