• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brake or no brake

cj1026

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Repulik of Commieforniastan
I have just about finished building a .308 AR. Pre ordered a Viper PST, so the only thing left is the threaded barrel. I went with an 18" fluted barrel with a .960 OD.
I have been thinking about either a JP Tactical compensator, a Miculek brake or just a muzzle thread protector.
Not real sure what I should do on this one so I'm looking for any thoughts or opinions you guys might have.

Re: Brake or no brake

I would've said suppressor; then noticed your location. It seems a waste to put a thread protector on a threaded barrel full time, so I vote for something like the Miculek, but that's without knowing what you're planning on doing with it.

One of these days I will have a suppresor. When I get out of this hell hole of a state.
I think mostly I will be using the gun for punch paper or dinging steel out to 800 yards. Hopefully

I put a Surefire brake on my OBR, and I love it.

I like to have breaks, as it helps me get back on target faster. Down side of course is all the noise.

How are you planning on using it?

I usually don't see the need of breaks on a .308. However I put one on my AR10 because it's intended to be used from non-traditional positions for rapid engagement.

I shot it a bit before I put my POF brake on it. I had no problem keeping it on target at 100 yards while wasting a 20 round magazine. Somewhere around here is a video of me "breaking it in".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are you planning on using it?

I usually don't see the need of breaks on a .308. However I put one on my AR10 because it's intended to be used from non-traditional positions for rapid engagement.

I shot it a bit before I put my POF brake on it. I had no problem keeping it on target at 100 yards while wasting a 20 round magazine. Somewhere around here is a video of me "breaking it in". </div></div>
I've seen the video of you "breaking it in". Great job.

I decided to put a brake on it. The recoil doesn't bother me but being able to stay on target is a big plus.