• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brand New

Re: Brand New

Be Nice. Nuff Said on that.
The kid wants to know about long range shooting and desires to learn everything about guns that we know. There is nothing wrong with that. Since this site went Pay for the 'online training' the curious have to ask in the open forum or pay where once was free, albiet, not nearly as good.
We have given names like 'Ballistic', 'Maser', and quite a few others our combined knowledge of what we all enjoy in the shooting community, as well as lots of thick skinned testing so that our hobby may not only grow, but stay safe.
I will offer what I have learned to make this a greater experience for a new individual to our forum. I also will prevail upon you all to stand down with the asshatery and be nice so no one gets into trouble for dumb shit. I will also make it my point to insure a trouble free environment sans harrassment, however any and all other thin skinned baiting is, how do you say it these days,"GAME ON"
She has expressed how tough she is and says she can hang here although she is greatly out of her league. Me, I promised to be nice for a change so lets see just how much combined marksmanship knowledge we can offer to this individual who desires to learn about it.

Isn't a Chief some kind of squid
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome aboard, Minx.
What do you think of the current goings on in American politics? </div></div>
Ohh nooo. I don't like talking about politics. :p </div></div>

way to be!

So Minz with the pleasantries out of the way,, game on, What do you want to know..

We got some of the finest and I mean the finest operators in the Mil/LE world here.. LR shooting,marksmanship all second nature.. As had been mentioned you desire to learn so SHOOT !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be Nice. Nuff Said on that.
The kid wants to know about long range shooting and desires to learn everything about guns that we know. There is nothing wrong with that. Since this site went Pay for the 'online training' the curious have to ask in the open forum or pay where once was free, albiet, not nearly as good.
We have given names like 'Ballistic', 'Maser', and quite a few others our combined knowledge of what we all enjoy in the shooting community, as well as lots of thick skinned testing so that our hobby may not only grow, but stay safe.
I will offer what I have learned to make this a greater experience for a new individual to our forum. I also will prevail upon you all to stand down with the asshatery and be nice so no one gets into trouble for dumb shit. I will also make it my point to insure a trouble free environment sans harrassment, however any and all other thin skinned baiting is, how do you say it these days,"GAME ON"
She has expressed how tough she is and says she can hang here although she is greatly out of her league. Me, I promised to be nice for a change so lets see just how much combined marksmanship knowledge we can offer to this individual who desires to learn about it.

Isn't a Chief some kind of squid
grin.gif
</div></div>

Who the hell are you and how do we get Switchy back....????

How about someone living near her, invite her to the range and learn how to handle firearms.

That way she'll get a sense of what is involve and understand a little more about the discussions on this forum.

AND BRING A CAMERA!!!!
wink.gif

As she said in page one (for me), she is in New Jersey.

Now if someone were to offer her some range time, that would be a good start for her to see/possibly 'do' some shooting.

(there is NO innuendo attached....)

(And regarding the laws and whatnot, I've no idea how an arrangement can be made, over the internet, between an adult and a minor, to actually meet in person. NOT WITHOUT it becoming misconstrued, abused, and BASTARDIZED.)

So be careful, all around. I'm saying this as nicely as I can. The offer can be there. The acceptance can be there. The WRONG PERSPECTIVE will most definitely be there, by the wrong people.

TREAD LIGHTLY. As stated, I don't have a clue how the laws are in New Jersey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't a Chief some kind of squid
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yes, it's a higher form of Marine life that I vaguely resemble.
grin.gif

Young lady there is much to be gained from this site should your interest be long range performance and precision. There are also a great many practitioners of the ART that are relegated to an existence in NJ. I was raised there and got south as soon as the law would allow me some few years ago. Shooters as a rule are very nice fellows and you would do well to accept invitations to a public range to partake of their knowledge. I dare say that girls can hold their own and I may be so bold as to comment that girls shoot better than men when given good guidance.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As she said in page one (for me), she is in New Jersey.

Now if someone were to offer her some range time, that would be a good start for her to see/possibly 'do' some shooting.

(there is NO innuendo attached....)

(And regarding the laws and whatnot, I've no idea how an arrangement can be made, over the internet, between an adult and a minor, to actually meet in person. NOT WITHOUT it becoming misconstrued, abused, and BASTARDIZED.)

So be careful, all around. I'm saying this as nicely as I can. The offer can be there. The acceptance can be there. The WRONG PERSPECTIVE will most definitely be there, by the wrong people.

TREAD LIGHTLY. As stated, I don't have a clue how the laws are in New Jersey.

</div></div>

That's why you would need to select an "official event/function" with which to get said minor involved... perhaps an appleseed shooting day or some other NRA event or whatnot.

perhaps one of these to get you going, with the Jersey compliance parts of course:
hello-ar-15.jpg

Damn, just when you thought the Hide couldn't get more strange we get jail bait that has never even shot a gun stumble on here by accident and decided to stay, start a hello thread and post pics of herself in the Girlfriends thread.

Chris Hansen has lost his sex predator troll-fu.

Switch has send me some really good links with information so I can read up before I start asking anything. I'm in the process of reading through all of it right now. Next stop for me is probably a range with my best friend. Her father is a hunter by profession and she's been doing it all her life. That seems like a good place to try to get some actual shooting done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, just when you thought the Hide couldn't get more strange we get jail bait that has never even shot a gun stumble on here by accident and decided to stay, start a hello thread and post pics of herself in the Girlfriends thread.

Chris Hansen has lost his sex predator troll-fu.

</div></div>

If someone on the hide ends up on tocatchapredator I will buy everyone that posts in this thread a beer(who hasn't been registered as a sex pred) anytime I see them.

Now go forth, quest for young flesh and entertain me snipershide don't FAIL ME NOW!

Sorry to disappoint, Couragewolf, I'm not trying to sleep with anyone here. I'll ask nicely. Can we all drop the 17 thing? We get it. I'm a baby, but it's getting old for now. Try making the same joke in a a week or two, then it might be funny again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to disappoint, Couragewolf, I'm not trying to sleep with anyone here. I'll ask nicely. Can we all drop the 17 thing? We get it. I'm a baby, but it's getting old for now. Try making the same joke in a a week or two, then it might be funny again. </div></div>

I'm over it. I just feel a little trapped that I offered to post pictures of myself in my underwear only to find out that I may have been commiting some type of crime.

It's a little unnerving.

Nothing personal. Like I said if you're trying to learn to shoot this is a good place to do it, and best of luck.

You're not going to get in trouble for joking about posting pictures of you in your underwear. I'm too close to 18 to be illegal and you've got to be naive to think that one comment could be considered a crime. Suck it up, you'll be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're not going to get in trouble for joking about posting pictures of you in your underwear. I'm too close to 18 to be illegal and you've got to be naive to think that one comment could be considered a crime. Suck it up, you'll be fine. </div></div>

was joke chillax Snookie

So on to the shooting:

What distances do the ranges have in your area?

Are there pellet-rifle clubs that you can start off with, which are indoors near you? Community centers, clubs, whatnot?

There are many forms of instruction, as well as many styles of shooting.

But they all start with the same basics. Then there are many tangents to branch off to.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I found one range that my physics teacher had directed me to. I called them 3 times and never got an answer, so I don't know what their deal is. Otherwise, I live in a beachy/city place so there aren't a ton of ranges around here. Hence why I'm a little lost on how and where to get started, but I think I'm on the right track now. The closest ranges other than the one that I called, are an hour+ away. I did ask my dad to take me for my last birthday, but he didn't look into it and told me it would basically be too much trouble to go through. I'm determinded though, lol.

You have exceptional writing skills for a modern era teenager.
Your parents must be proud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, I'm not sure. I found one range that my physics teacher had directed me to. I called them 3 times and never got an answer, so I don't know what their deal is. Otherwise, I live in a beachy/city place so there aren't a ton of ranges around here. Hence why I'm a little lost on how and where to get started, but I think I'm on the right track now. The closest ranges other than the one that I called, are an hour+ away. I did ask my dad to take me for my last birthday, but he didn't look into it and told me it would basically be too much trouble to go through. I'm determinded though, lol. </div></div>

Smaller ranges are pretty notorious for being worthless to attempt to communicate with. More often than not they're populated by old men that have a thorough disdain for technology like "telephones" and "voicemail".

Honestly your best bet is to find someone in your area with some deal of experience shooting and get them to take you.

I recommend looking for someone that has all their teeth.

This is kinda funny to watch, some of you guys act like you've been in prison for 50 years and haven't had any contact with a female in that time..........good Lord.

Minx, there is a ton of information about firearms and shooting on this site. There is always a post about "new" shooters wanting advice, whatever......and aside from the flaming from some guys about reading stickies, filling out profiles and crap like that, there is generally some good information from some good dudes. Might check them out, they may answer alot of your basic questions.

That being said, you seem like you'll do alright here, you've already got thicker skin than some of the "men" that hang around here.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have exceptional writing skills for a modern era teenager.
Your parents must be proud.</div></div>

Thanks. I speak English and I enjoy using it properly. :p I wish more people felt the same way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Smaller ranges are pretty notorious for being worthless to attempt to communicate with. More often than not they're populated by old men that have a thorough disdain for technology like "telephones" and "voicemail".

Honestly your best bet is to find someone in your area with some deal of experience shooting and get them to take you.

I recommend looking for someone that has all their teeth.</div></div>
The way I figure, I'm just going to have to keep looking and possibly wait until I move to find a good range. Now, I'm in the very frustrating process of buying a car, so I can't travel very far until it all gets settled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is kinda funny to watch, some of you guys act like you've been in prison for 50 years and haven't had any contact with a female in that time..........good Lord.

Minx, there is a ton of information about firearms and shooting on this site. There is always a post about "new" shooters wanting advice, whatever......and aside from the flaming from some guys about reading stickies, filling out profiles and crap like that, there is generally some good information from some good dudes. Might check them out, they may answer alot of your basic questions.

That being said, you seem like you'll do alright here, you've already got thicker skin than some of the "men" that hang around here.

Kelly</div></div>

Thanks. I figured by coming onto this forum, if I couldn't read and learn I could at least make some kind of connection that would help me get started.

Yep, I'm sure there is someone here in your area that wouldn't mind showing someone the ropes and getting another person into shooting. I'd say your friends dad could spare the time to take you and his daughter to a range for a Saturday. Hope you get to shoot some this summer! Good luck with it and be safe, I"m sure you'll enjoy it.

Kelly

Tell Your friend that if he is gonna walk up on a XBox like that pumping away with a shottie, please be a little more mindful as he may lose an eye due to debris or a richocet from the pellets.And what was the guy in the back of the truck doing? Thats something you cant afford to lose.

The guy on the truck was the one who shot the Remington. And trust me, you could tell this guy to be careful all you wanted. In fact, I've been yelling at him for the past 2 years about nearly everything he does. It goes in one ear and out the other. Not too long ago his wrecklessness landed him in the hospital for a while with a shattered foot. :p The boy will never learn.

there were 2 shooters? One in the back of the truck that shot it initially and then the one who did the execution style walk up to it?

WTF is the matter with you guys. I KNOW there are at least a dozen of you that live in NJ (Some of you I have addresses and real names for) and NONE of you are willing to roger up and say "You and your Dad meet me here (where you shoot anyway) and I'll intro you to long range shooting." ?

I've seen guys on here drive 3+ hours to help another guy, hell I just sent a cat w/ 17 posts $7K worth of optics because there is no one near him with any quality optics for comparison.

If nothing else, she speaks well, writes well, presents her self well and has made the case towards responsibility via her sisters kid. That's more than most on here that cant spell to save their souls (myself included).

Hook the kid up.

Cheers,

Doc

Upon review of the last 3 post she needs all the help she can get to save her from her "friends".

Is that Guy on the truck behind you guys shooting too. I think a little more safety with firearms is what you and your friends needs to read up on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there were 2 shooters? One in the back of the truck that shot it initially and then the one who did the execution style walk up to it?</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that Guy on the truck behind you guys shooting too. I think a little more safety with firearms is what you and your friends needs to read up on. </div></div>

First, JBurt, I wasn't there.
Secondly, yes there were two shooters. The first shot is fired by the guy on the truck and the rest is, well, plain to see, haha.

Minx, our range has a phone. and an answering machine. im not even sure if when you call, the phone is even at the range. but its in no way staffed. the gate is locked, members have a key. its sorta self service. also being under 18 might be an issue as usually you have to sign a release and you might not be able to being under 18. i am willing to bet there is some sort of hunter safety/edumacation programs in your area. try the friend and her dad, that sounds like the easiest. next is an indoor ragnge. also here, there are always programs for women shooters that allow you to get hands on experience. guns and ammo are provided for the fee. good luck and have fun. eye and ear protection are a must. dont want to loose one of those pretty eyes. look at walmart for ear muffs and glasses. buy your own so you will always have them. even starting with a nice quality air gun is a good start

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? Do we have to put that in my intro topic? You've already said it once, that's just kind of overboard, in my honest opinion.</div></div>

Your honest opinion doesn't count. In case you aren't aware, any interaction with sexual overtones to a minor (you) is very illegal and has no (read ZERO) place here. We welcome your presence here and will do everything we can to help teach you and answer your questions however that willingness to help does come at a price and that price is our overly cautious reminders. </div></div>

<--- Standing Ovation for Mike.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp
check this linky out, it will offer shooting places in the U.S.
Good Luck</div></div>
Ooh! Thank you for the link. There are a few place within 30 miles of where I live, but I'm not sure how to approach a place like that. If I went there now, I'd be showing up clueless. I'll have to nab a friend who might know something to check them out with me (i.e. my friend's dad or my mom's boyfriend.) I might even bring my friend Kelsie with me--not that she knows anything about weapons, but her boyfriend is a Marine and she tends to be into the same sort of things I am.
laugh.gif
We could both get into shooting and impress him when he gets home from Afghanistan.

Call the ones that you might be interested in,,,I'm sure that they will answer any and all questions.
Good Luck and above all,,,have fun!

Hey kid, do a search for Cherry Ridge Rifle Range. Jersey is fairly small and it wasn't that bad a drive from upstate NY to get there a few years back. Check out the local Marine Corps League and ask them about Marksmanship programs. Old Marines LOVE to shoot and have some pretty darn cool rifles too. One guy from Jersey has an old WWII Garand. I think he took it with him when he left the service then, and man that old guy can shoot. I watched him outshoot LL with his then new AI folder and high speed scope. That old Jarhead kicked his ass with irons! and both of them buried me by 6 and 7 places in the Gyrene catagory.

I can't believe this went close to 90 posts, most of it pure stupidity from grown men. I will say this; this is the first time I have seen this level of dumbshit here on the Hide since I have been a member. Some of you have even gone well below some of Maser's earlier behavior and gents, that is freakin LOW.
Me, I at the request of several family members have made it a point during this year to 'mellow your ass out' because I no longer need to be an asshole day in and day out. My intrest in Snipers Hide has always been the movement to freely give what I have learned in the years I have been a Marksman and pass it on to those who desire to learn. I have also learned vast amounts while perusing these forums and thank the guys who were here before me(Yeah, all 1,000+). Guys like Spec Ops Scout, Lowlight, Mike D, Tank, Undude, JBWIII, and his Father, and a few others gave me way more free knowledge than I can even think to remember. My promise then was to learn, and pass on what I learned so that our hobby enjoyment in the safest way could be given to those like me who wanted to learn. This has always been a great part of the overall philosophy of this site.
To give knowledge in the art of long range shooting to foster an understanding of the rifles, marksmanship, and tactics through knowledge, training, and friendly competition. These words are what we are all about here.

Bullshit. He just thinks I'm cute.

laugh.gif
I joke, I joke.

Edit: HEY! I got promoted!

IF and that's a big IF you have an interest in Airsoft...technology, don't ever admit it. Ever.

IF you aren't aware on the prohibition against political topics, you are now. I got a kick out of Tucker301's question on your thoughts on American politics. Political talk will get you a 3 day "time-out" from one of the mods.

And if a guy named Shankster somehow gets your address and starts sending you snack foods and chips and high calorie junk food DO NOT EAT IT.

Not only is Switchblade a wealth of knowledge on firearms and shooting, I hear he knows his way around a grill/smoker too! Thanks for the recipes, smoked me some ribs earlier this week that were pretty epic.....especially for my first time. Now back on track. Check out a few ranges within driving distance and find one that fits your needs and hammer down, safely of course.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was joke chillax Snookie </div></div>

That was effing funny.

I've heard a few things about Shankster. I'm Italian, so natrually I'm a bit more curvy. I'm quite careful so I DON'T get fat. I'll take heed of your advice and definately avoid him then.

Kb, I only know what I have learned through service to our country, reading, a little 'practitioning', and the few times I have shot with members from here. It is only what I know to be truth that I pass on as to marksmanship. While some get far involved in mathematics, coralis, spin drift, etc, I just sit back, aim, feel the breeze, look at trees and grass, then squeeze because when it all gets down to it, it either feels right or it doesn't.
For me the hardest part was trying to commit to memory the WERM formula. When it kept kicking my ass I just memorized the MOA and Mil Dot ranges for 4" and 6'. Wind was full, half, and minimal value. It works ok, bu tnot as good as those guys who sit there with a KEstrel in the air madly inputting claculations into their smart phone then looking through the scope and missing because they didn't 'feel it' or were not 'in the groove'. Truly marksmanship is 1/3 marksmanship fundamentals, 1/3 practice, and 1/3 art.

How I learned to shoot my PSS:
read the mil dot formulas, ranges for 4"/6', commited to memory my velocity chart's numbers(made a card for the stock anyway) then went to town shooting 40 rounds a week(I only had lots of 200 at a time). I shot from KD, and from UKD to learn my scope, rifle, and position. WHile there were several fundamentals that were the same as iron's, there were a few that were oure to the optic sight. It is this process, practice, and art that I desire to freely give when I can, for to hide it, keep it secret will not foster our sport nor will it move our sport forward into the open where new people may find it, become curious about it, then learn it, then get out ther and start shooting. Then of course we get into reloading. The more people we have shooting, then reloading, the larger our sport becomes, the larger our sport becomes, them more people we make understand that firearms are not only a right to all people, but FUN!

I don't know where to put this. It's off topic and doesn't really fit in anywhere, so I'll just drop it my own thread. No one can complain this way...but the military keeps messing stuff up for me, damn it.

First, my friend's parents got a call saying their son (one of my <span style="font-weight: bold">best</span> friends) was in an aircraft crash. His mother, myself, and others, went around in hysterics all day thinking he was dead. Turns out it was a mistake. Sounds really fishy to me. I don't know whose fault this one is, but it pissed me off big time. Does this sound like a scam by someone other than the actual Army?

Second, today my Ranger buddy and I were supposed to go see Lady Gaga today. It was going to make today the best Independence Day since the very first one. He was on his way home from Afghanistan and was supposed to be here already. He's currenly stuck in Kuwait.
frown.gif
Shiiiit.

I guess I can't really complain too much. I love the military and I'm so grateful to all the people (past and present) that make it possible. But seriously, it just must be my bad luck.

Any 'incident' that deals with life or limb harm will not be done via a phone call. A Commander and a Chaplain will deliver teh news in person or it will be delivered by the resident military functionary, but more often than not, it is the unit's function to which the individual Soldier belongs

Yeah. I thought so. That's why it sounded so fishy to me. I thought, isn't someone supposed to come in PERSON? Regardless, even the though was pretty scary.

Welcome to the 'Hide Minx. If precision shooting is what you are interested in then you have come to the right place.

Switch is Good To Go, but Whiskey Tango Foxtrot man...Never would I expect anyone to put maser and I in the same sentence. Especially you Switch. Do I irritate the entire board on a weekly basis with barely literate posts/threads and asinine pictures/videos? :p

Hehe. I know what you meant to say Switch, but do you really think maser is absorbing anything useful here? I on the other hand have learned a lot from the membership here, and will continue to seek such. Anyways, I am goin' to finish off this Beautiful night.

Happy Independence Day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
itsatrapou4.jpg
</div></div>

LMAO...
Is it me or is victory's post the only one on this thread that makes any sense ?

chris_hansen_large.jpg