• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass baked in oven at 350F?

Re: Brass baked in oven at 350F?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I actually have metallurgy classes under my belt and have used the lab to actually test some brass after an 8 hour soak at 200F and 300F. I posted a whole thread about it a few years ago here with some cool pics. Neither the 200F nor the 300F batches had any significant (i.e. meaningful for shooting purposes) change as compared to their control group in terms of grain/crystalline pattern but did show the very slightest signs of what could be called normalization (which is actually a good thing). The Rockwell was almost identical in both batches as compared to the control. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I shot 80 rounds today with no problems. 20 of those were also annealed after the oven incident. </div></div>

I don't know why so many guys want to doubt the science... Using an oven to dry brass is perfectly safe, as posted above. </div></div>
No one is doubting science. You just don't know how hot your brass actually got in an oven set to 350. </div></div>

Yeah that's true. I bet most home ovens are quite a bit off as well but as long as you have a good thermometer inside the oven to double check the temps you're going to be perfectly safe drying brass at 200-300F

Re: Brass baked in oven at 350F?

I dry my brass with a hair dryer in about 5 mins, hot air will dry water faster than anything.

That said I have used the oven a few times to dry large batches of brass but never set the oven at over 220* which is perfectly safe since the grain structure in brass doesn't begin to change until ~490* IIRC.