• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Brass catchers

win.308stealth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
fosston mn
Is anyone on here using brass catchers with there AR's? If so what kind are you using, brand/homemade? Pics would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I've used the cheap UTG (etc.) mesh bag style. They work OK at catching brass, but randomly bounce some brass back into the ejection port and cause a jam. Barely tolerable at a square range practice session. Haven't tried the nicer rigid plastic ones but would be interested in reviews.

At my private home range I just lay out a tarp (roughly 6x8') in the area where my brass falls, makes it easy to pick up.

The UTG one isn't so great.

Shooting so the brass lands in the back of my truck works a lot better.

It seems to me that the UTG mesh bag type is the only logical choice if you actually plan or need to go into the field as a DM. It's compact, it's held on the on the AR fairly securely, there's next to no noise from shells going into it*, and there's a zipper on the bottom to dump the brass out and it's Black as well. It's on my 6.5 Grendel for the above reasons.

*As far as the noise factor, without a silencer the shot would muffle any shell ejection noise. LoL
Keep the lower edge of the bag pull downward to keep it opened fully. It works good for me.
Oh, I have the full line of UTG/Leaper prods available.

Last edited:
I open my 3 day ruck next to the ejection port and let the brass fly into the opening when shooting prone. Zip it shut and head out when I am done. Saw a guy at the range with what looked like a cut off fishing net with wood base that was doing a fine job on the bench.

I have a couple of E&L brass catchers that work well.

For ARs with carrying handles, they snap onto the upper. For rail uppers, there are two posts that install in the rail, and the brass catcher slides on. BTW it works with one post.

Solid, so no swinging bag.

E&L Manufacturing e.Store - Brass Catchers

I have a couple of E&L brass catchers that work well.
For ARs with carrying handles, they snap onto the upper. For rail uppers, there are two posts that install in the rail, and the brass catcher slides on. BTW it works with one post.

Can you use the AR flattop model along with a scope mounted in something like an ADM or Larue one-piece scope mount? It looks like it would interfere, but I can't really tell from the photos on their site.

Universal brass catcher by CTK Precision[/QUOTE

I use the CTK Brass Catcher. Woks great on 223/556. But on 308 the neck of the case is hot enough to stick to the netting and when the case is removed it tears a small hole in the very thin netting. I assume it would do the same for any other large caliber ammunition.

I do the same thing as previosly mentioned at home with the tarp. I have also tried the nylon brass catcher bags and had them bounce back in the bolt of an ar but if you dont give a shit about your brass thats ok but if its lapua brass that sucks.

I like the Caldwell/UTG type when out in the field rock chuck hunting.
Seems like after 20 rounds or so it will weigh it down and I will occasionally get a jam..just keep emptying your brass when reloading and they are pretty handy.
The CTK would be the ticket at the range.

A bit off topic as far as 'catching' brass.

I've built a 300AAC and need to hold on to all the brass I can.

I've found catchers to be obtrusive and unbalanced. You might want to deflect instead.

Below is a KISS principle design. Cut out some leather to cover port.

When shooting off bench the brass stays on the bench, when standing it falls at my feet. The longer the leather the shorter distance it will 'fly'

Embellishment (Wilson Combat) optional...

Cheers,
gap

Attachments

• Deflect.jpg
    Deflect.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Deflect2.jpg
    Deflect2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 19
I usually lay a small handtowel over the scope and let the brass hit it then they fall down in a neat little pile buy the mag.

I have one that I bought from Midway USA. It looks like a fishing net inside an aluminum frame. It works well, but half the time I forget to bring it to the range, so I just use the hat-to-scope mount trick.

That's what I'm calling the UTG style. Cheap ($10 or so) made in China. I forgot to mention one other joy of using them - if the brass hits the frame just wrong, it stops but doesn't go into the bag, it falls right on your right hand. HOT. Another reason I don't use mine much.

I use a good size cardboard box, cut one flap in half, the other completely off, a little duct tape. Rides in my backseat all the time, a small piece of steel for weight.
I'd post a pic but am afraid some redneck from Nebraska or South Dakota might hunt me down, kick my ass for patent rights!

I usually lay a small handtowel over the scope and let the brass hit it then they fall down in a neat little pile buy the mag.

Bam. Exactly what I do if I don't feel like chasing brass. Works like a charm.

I've tried them all and the Tactical Brass unit is by far the best. I have a short picitinny on the right rail of every AR I own and the TB unit slides right on and rarely misses a round. The thing will hold 200+ 5.56 and 150 .308 easily before needing to be emptied. I actually have a slot cut in the foam of my Pelican for it so I never forget it. I flat out hate chasing brass and this thing was worth every bit of the meager price. The best thing is you only need one as it swaps from rifle to rifle with the rail slot.

I stole a mesh laundry basket from my wife. I used it to carry stuff to the range and set it up next to my set up. It catches the brass just fine. Cost $5.95 for two. I would not be apposed to using a cardbord box either.

Ive made 6 of my own using a bra bag (has zipper) and a few from camo tee shirts w/a 7" zipper at the bottom.
I know how to run a sewing machine so I make most of my own field stuff. I used 1/8" metal rod & bent it to fit over the port and Velcro to strap to the AR.
My hunting bags are just right to hold 20 cases.

I have a buddy that uses a 3bucc brass catcher. It seems like it works very well and goes on and off very easy.

I use a cardboard box also...set the opening at an angle to the ejection port from the front of the rifle to my firing elbow and ALL brass lands inside

I use the cheap UTG style, but modify it with some plastic inserts to make a bit more rigid. Making it a bit more rigid makes a HUGE improvement in performance. The other thing that helps is keeping the zipper in the bottom of the bag open. Then the brass drops right next to the rifle, and I don't have the weight pulling the bag out of position on the rifle.

Overall I am happy enough with what I have that I'm not even looking for another unit.

Last edited: