• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Defelectors (PICS) Options?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im looking to get a good brass defelector or find a good brass catcher. I need something that throws the brass right next to me and not bouncing off the guy next to me at the range. The benches at my range are kinda close to each other and I hate having to go under the guys bench next to me to get my brass, plus I have to wait to to that untill he goes downrange to get his targets (cant do it while hes shooting!)

I reload all my ammo so I collect and reuse all my brass.

I have seen a decent brass (net) catcher at Midway usa but then also found this brass defelector at US Tactical supply. It doesnt look to bad. <span style="font-weight: bold">How bad I do not want to mount one of these on my ARs </span>but what else am I going to do. Im wondering if that deflector will work with the Larue SPR mount?

Below is the pic of the net at Midway and the other pics are the Deflector At USTactical supply. They are both around the same price. ($80.00)

Gimmie some ideas.

Midwayusa.jpg

brassdeflectorrailmount.jpg

brassdeflrailmount10.jpg

brassdeflrailmount2.jpg

brassdeflrailmount8.jpg

brassdeflrailmount9.jpg

Re: Brass Defelectors (PICS) Options?

I use a small plastic tube with half the lid cut of and stand it on it's end so the open part of the lid Is on top. Sorry for the crappy typing, I'm doing this on my iPod touch.

Scott

I've got the second one. I also have a few others.

A brass deflector and a brass catcher are two different animals...

One kicks the brass straight down. The US tactical/Tactical Tailor model kicks the brass straight down. It's designed for shooting in vehicles and whirlybirds. It also mangles brass. Sort of beats up case mouths. Keep in mind it's designed to keep the rifle brass from going up towards the intakes in the whirly bird. If you're going to trash the brass this is slick. If you're wanting to do anything else with it, this is not the one to go with.

The brass catchers do a good job of policing up your brass so you can reload it. They also cut down on ejection port noise and gas in the face on suppressed guns. My current favorite is made by E&L manuf. I've got a spare unused one I'm going to list up. Here is a link to it: http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/univbc.html They make two versions, one for .223 and one for .308. I haven't found a better setup yet and I've used them all.

If you or anyone wants first shot at my extra E@L brass catcher shoot me a PM. I was going to list it this weekend sometime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, I've never seen those iron sights on top of an ACOG before... </div></div>

I hope your kidding.

Its the Trijicon <span style="font-weight: bold">TA01NSN</span> Acog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got the second one. I also have a few others.

A brass deflector and a brass catcher are two different animals...

One kicks the brass straight down. The US tactical/Tactical Tailor model kicks the brass straight down. It's designed for shooting in vehicles and whirlybirds. It also mangles brass. Sort of beats up case mouths. Keep in mind it's designed to keep the rifle brass from going up towards the intakes in the whirly bird. If you're going to trash the brass this is slick. If you're wanting to do anything else with it, this is not the one to go with.

The brass catchers do a good job of policing up your brass so you can reload it. They also cut down on ejection port noise and gas in the face on suppressed guns. My current favorite is made by E&L manuf. I've got a spare unused one I'm going to list up. Here is a link to it: http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/univbc.html They make two versions, one for .223 and one for .308. I haven't found a better setup yet and I've used them all.

If you or anyone wants first shot at my extra E@L brass catcher shoot me a PM. I was going to list it this weekend sometime. </div></div>

Are you sure that isnt a lunchbox on the side of that AR? It looks like you could pull out a Diet pepsi and bologni sandwich out of that thing!

Is this what your lunch box looks like?
universalftop400x400.jpg

There isn't any real difference between the brass deflector and this guy. Doesn't affect handling. The brass catcher just extends down a little bit to hold the brass.

I could take side by side actual pics comparing the two. But if you're looking for a place to store your lunch, it wouldn't be worth my time...

Stay away from the UTG bag. It causes stove pipes bad after a couple of empties get in there and the weight pulls the bag tight against the ejection port.

I have used mine twice, after the problems it has sat in the "box of wasted money" everyone collects over time.

I also use the cardboard box method.

If you try the UTG bag, the key is to unzip the bottom. Put a towel under your rifle. The empties will be slowed by the bag and then drop onto the towel. O/W, like the previous poster said, the bag will sag under the weight.

The stand alone catcher that Midway sells looks like it could be made for one fifth the price using a fine fishing net and a homemade mounting block. Just an idea...

You might check out this option: http://www.3bucc.com/. Looks like reasonable solution, and unlike the E&L, the bag is soft, so you won't bend up the mouth of your case when it ricochets against the hard plastic. Probably also less of a chance that it bounces back into the action of the rifle.

I use a UTG for my AR15 and the "cardboard box" for everything else.

Greg

9-14-03001.jpg

This brass deflector was made by a coworker, for portability it has two hinges in the middle. In order to keep it close it has a magnet in one half and a metal plate in the other. The angle between the halves is adjusted depending on the weapon, when properly set the brass bounces from one side to the other.
It is 21" tall with each side at 11". The center is metal mesh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
9-14-03001.jpg

This brass deflector was made by a coworker, for portability it has two hinges in the middle. In order to keep it close it has a magnet in one half and a metal plate in the other. The angle between the halves is adjusted depending on the weapon, when properly set the brass bounces from one side to the other.
It is 21" tall with each side at 11". The center is metal mesh. </div></div>
I think I just found my next wood working project. This one looks a little rough, but it meets all of the criteria, and best of all doesn't block your vision down the firing line.
I don't really like the idea of hanging "more" stuff off my rifle, as in the other brass catchers.
I love a good project.
SScott