• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BRASS Norma vs. lapua

Re: BRASS Norma vs. lapua

Physical measurement consistency is as good or better then Lapua. Lapua outshines it in durability.

When I first started doing load development with a 6.5x284 I used to have I started with Norma brass.

I could not achieve reported velocities with this cartridge and was showing major signs of pressure. Also, primer pockets stretched out prematurely.

I switched to lapua brass, and all my issues went away.

Norma brass is thicker, it might be more robust, but i doubt it based on other cartridges I have used it for, versus lapua brass.

IMO, lapua brass is better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I first started doing load development with a 6.5x284 I used to have I started with Norma brass.

I could not achieve reported velocities with this cartridge and was showing major signs of pressure. Also, primer pockets stretched out prematurely.

I switched to lapua brass, and all my issues went away.

Norma brass is thicker, it might be more robust, but i doubt it based on other cartridges I have used it for, versus lapua brass.

IMO, lapua brass is better. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span></span></span>

Norma brass is good stuff but if Lapua or Win is available I would try that first but thats just me.

Use Norma cases exclusively for 270WSM rifle. No issues to date. Also use Norma, and soon RWS brass, for my 300WM.

IMO, Norma is first-rate. Protocol: Neck-Only size cases for 3 firings, then Anneal & Full-Length size, then rinse n repeat steps. Planning to apply identical protocol to the RWS brass.

I have not used any Norma brass in a while, but friends tell me it does not last nearly as long as Lapua. The old Norma brass I found years ago, which was probably 25 years old back then, was pretty good stuff. It is bloody expensive though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Physical measurement consistency is as good or better then Lapua. Lapua outshines it in durability. </div></div>

Lapua lasts about the same as everything else, in a article by Gary D. Sciuchetti (Handloader 257)He conducted a brass endurance test and the findings was that lapua brass failed at the 15th reload where as the Norma Brass failed at shot 24. My personal findings was for a .300 win mag the Lapua brass lasted 1/2 as much as the Norma. However for the .308 I use Lapua for economical reasons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Physical measurement consistency is as good or better then Lapua. Lapua outshines it in durability. </div></div>

Lapua lasts about the same as everything else, in a article by Gary D. Sciuchetti (Handloader 257)He conducted a brass endurance test and the findings was that lapua brass failed at the 15th reload where as the Norma Brass failed at shot 24. My personal findings was for a .300 win mag the Lapua brass lasted 1/2 as much as the Norma. However for the .308 I use Lapua for economical reasons </div></div>

IF you treat brass well, proper die setup, thorough cleaning, anneal after every firing, normal case pressures etc... is there any reason that both Lapua and Norma should not last beyond what is posted on Sciuchetti's findings?

I am using both norma and lapua brass right now and if treated right both will last and both are well worth the cost

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Physical measurement consistency is as good or better then Lapua. Lapua outshines it in durability. </div></div>

Lapua lasts about the same as everything else, in a article by Gary D. Sciuchetti (Handloader 257)He conducted a brass endurance test and the findings was that lapua brass failed at the 15th reload where as the Norma Brass failed at shot 24. My personal findings was for a .300 win mag the Lapua brass lasted 1/2 as much as the Norma. However for the .308 I use Lapua for economical reasons </div></div>

I was going to refer to the same report.

Neck thickness Norma is .014 Lapua is .015 as measured against each other as i have both.
Base of the case Lapua is thicker then Norma (anecdotal evidence that primer pockets loosen more quickly in Norma)
Primer pockets both drilled not punched
Case weight Lapua is heavier then Norma
Norma has greater case capacity then Lapua...This can be a plus in certain calibers (308 win)
Cost Lapua is cheaper in certain calibers. Examples (308 win) not (6.5/284)

Other people report outstanding results with Norma over Lapua again in certain calibers 300 WSM and (6.5/284 returned to 284 win) but not in others.

You will be really pleased with Norma Brass if you have access to it at a reasonable price

Trevor

Reactions: DUSOUTH

Norma is soft and I hate the shit.

Lapua typically has no peer and Norma can't even begin to hang.

My experience with the 6-284 & Norma brass has been FAR less than stellar i'm using Lapua now. Maybe I got a bad LOT but the necks were really work hardened after the inital sizing from 6.5 to 6mm, so hard I actually had several split the neck when seating the bullet IN VIRGIN BRASS. No trouble with either Nosler Brass OR Lapua... like I said maybe I got a bad LOT... could have annealed them, just shouldn't have to at that point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stick Around</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Norma sucks,plain and simple. </div></div>

40 post in one day!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW, just WOW.

Sweetie,you've 41 tries to find me mistaken.

Swing for the fence and I'll happily rub your nose in your own stupidity.

Just sayin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stick Around</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweetie,you've 41 tries to find me mistaken.

Swing for the fence and I'll happily rub your nose in your own stupidity.

Just sayin'. </div></div>

forgive me for being alittle slow , but , what does that mean ?

and , i think it took him 3 days

It means her insecurities are very wellfounded and I don't guess. My hopes are,that she'll take the bait and hopefully try to find me "mistaken",then I'll simply revel in those lapses in her judgement.

One can only imagine the "horrors" she's experiencing with the number 40.

Laffin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stick Around</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It means her insecurities are very wellfounded and I don't guess. My hopes are,that she'll take the bait and hopefully try to find me "mistaken",then I'll simply revel in those lapses in her judgement.

Laffin'. </div></div>

Really.... Man I wish I could go through a day here without running into posts from "key-board warriors." If you need to have a pissing match with someone that badly go to a boxing gym and punch someone in the face. Seriously.

-SBS

Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. No matter who wins you’re still retarded!

I will be switching to Lapua. I use Federal brass from my match ammo right now. When it craps out Lapua here I come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Norma brass is good stuff but if Lapua or Win is available I would try that first but thats just me. </div></div>

I read awhile back that Lapua never did make 300wm brass, but had Norma make it for them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stick Around</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It means her insecurities are very wellfounded and I don't guess. My hopes are,that she'll take the bait and hopefully try to find me "mistaken",then I'll simply revel in those lapses in her judgement.

Laffin'.</div></div>
my question is.... how do you feel about being banned?

Looks like "Big Stick" from the campfire made his way over here. Not good...

Just go with Lapua and be done with it!

Laffin'. </div></div>

NOBODY...NOBODY...NOBODY?

Chris

Last batch of Laupa 300WMmi was able to get a home of was made my Norma.

Sooooooo.... At least in that case there is no difference.

(Laupa rep told me that Norma made it for them.... This is a LONG time ago.)

When talking belted H&H,I typically defer to R/P. Have been forced to slum Norma in my 224Wby,but the chambering sucks anyhow.

Superfulous belts are something I've always hated and I'm glad to be rid of them with Today's choices.