• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Rotation

Familydude

Spending my kids’ paltry inheritance on hobbies
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    California
    Recently got into reloading and have a few casings of Lapua 6.5 C and Alpha M 6GT.

Wondering what method others use for brass rotation, for lack of a better term.

Do you use the same casings over and over until they’re done and move to unused, or do you rotate through your entire allotment to spread things out?

And, is one method better than the other?

Thanks.

It depends. For hunting rifles, I have maybe 100 cases from a single lot that I rotate. For competition stuff, I typically have maybe 300 of a single lot that I rotate. I mark the cases so I know how many times the cases have been fired and keep them separated by rifle/lot.

Reactions: Familydude
    Primer pockets are always the first to go on my loads, so when I go to prime, if the primer went too easy into the pocket I set it aside. I collect those set asides, deprime, and trash that brass. Use those deprimed primers in new brass. I guess that was a lengthy way of saying, I don't keep track. LOL

Recently got into reloading and have a few casings of Lapua 6.5 C and Alpha M 6GT.

Wondering what method others use for brass rotation, for lack of a better term.

Do you use the same casings over and over until they’re done and move to unused, or do you rotate through your entire allotment to spread things out?

And, is one method better than the other?

Thanks.
    I have 100 Lapua cases and 100 Peterson cases for my .308. The Lapua and Peterson cases are loaded differently because of the difference in case volume. But, I'll load some of either to shoot and once the 100 of Lapua or Peterson cases are fire, it's only then that I'll process them for the next reloading. I record how many times each have been fired and don't mix the Lapua with the Peterson cases.

Reactions: Familydude
    My case rotation considerations:
    - I don't mix different brands of brass. If I have different brands of brass, I'll save until I've got enough to work up a load with a specific bullet. IE: I save Winchester brass for hunting loads.
    - I will mix brass between rifles if precision isn't a top priority. Keeping brass on the same firing schedule isn't a priority here. IE: I might have 4 x fired cases mixed in with 5x
    - When precision is a priority, I separate brass by rifle and keep all on the same firing schedule. I do this for match rifles. I set aside enough brass to accommodate a two-day PRS match, plus 25%. IE: 200 rounds for two days plus 50 pieces of brass. The 25% helps offset losses and allows me to confirm zero. The 250 comes from 300 pieces of brass. I use those additional 50 for load development and keep them out of the cycle.

My case rotation considerations:
    - I don't mix different brands of brass. If I have different brands of brass, I'll save until I've got enough to work up a load with a specific bullet. IE: I save Winchester brass for hunting loads.
    - I will mix brass between rifles if precision isn't a top priority. Keeping brass on the same firing schedule isn't a priority here. IE: I might have 4 x fired cases mixed in with 5x
    - When precision is a priority, I separate brass by rifle and keep all on the same firing schedule. I do this for match rifles. I set aside enough brass to accommodate a two-day PRS match, plus 25%. IE: 200 rounds for two days plus 50 pieces of brass. The 25% helps offset losses and allows me to confirm zero. The 250 comes from 300 pieces of brass. I use those additional 50 for load development and keep them out of the cycle.
    Good info.