• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass sometimes get stuck in chamber in bolt rifle

cfuentes

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
El Paso, Texas
Hello all,
Was wondering if someone can share some light how to fix my problem. So I have a reload that I’m doing shooting a suppressed .308win
42.7 Varget ccibr2 Lapua brass Hornady eldx 178 grain bullets.

Sometimes I can cycle easy other times the handle lifts easy but my brass gets stuck in the chamber. I have to pull the bolt extremely hard to eject my case. What can be the culprit? I’m using a Wilson fl sizing die with a bushing. I’m thinking either the base of the cartridge is getting stuck or the neck. Will annealing fix this issue? Is it because I’m shooting suppressed? Is it cus I’m bumping the shoulder to far back? Has anyone experienced this issue before? It’s strange because even with lighter loads (42 grains I can experience the same thing)

Edit: Nevermind, post 6 identified the issue.

Measure the stuck brass and compare it to the unstuck brass, your answers are in your numbers.
Fired vs sized; see what number isn’t smaller when sized, it should correspond with those that are larger when fired.
In this case, once in awhile I have a tight case and I think it’s the base, some bounce back to the same as before the die on the caliper and some are smaller likely from when I was experimenting and really hammering them hard on the prior barrel. It’s my issue but it’s not really bad so far, the only ~half thou difference is riding a fine line but on the right side of it, sounds like yours may not be so lucky.
IMG_2745.jpeg

If it is your base numbers then no, annealing wont do anything for you. If you instead had some that were hard to chamber and the numbers revealed that they were less resistant to taking the sizing down in the die and springing back then annealing would help, doesnt seem to be the issue there.
(But still start that before sizing if you can.)

Also, clean your barrel and chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
I'm guessing you gotta bump back an extra 2 thow.

Case getting stuck is a base diameter issue. Measure the base of your sized brass and your fired brass at the widest expanded point and tell us what the difference is.

Reactions: todde and cfuentes
Hello all,
Was wondering if someone can share some light how to fix my problem. So I have a reload that I’m doing shooting a suppressed .308win
42.7 Varget ccibr2 Lapua brass Hornady eldx 178 grain bullets.

Sometimes I can cycle easy other times the handle lifts easy but my brass gets stuck in the chamber. I have to pull the bolt extremely hard to eject my case. What can be the culprit? I’m using a Wilson fl sizing die with a bushing. I’m thinking either the base of the cartridge is getting stuck or the neck. Will annealing fix this issue? Is it because I’m shooting suppressed? Is it cus I’m bumping the shoulder to far back? Has anyone experienced this issue before? It’s strange because even with lighter loads (42 grains I can experience the same thing)
Is it a Savage?

Here is a coupe of measurements compared to new brass and one that got stuck… looks like it’s .002 difference… also you asked if it was a savage??? Have you experienced this with savages? And what makes them specifically do this???

Attachments

• 35A9EF2B-E8FE-4EF0-A2DE-0B90BC9E4BD6.jpeg
    35A9EF2B-E8FE-4EF0-A2DE-0B90BC9E4BD6.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 23
  • B5ED6204-0BF2-486B-9132-ED4E79E68CF9.jpeg
    B5ED6204-0BF2-486B-9132-ED4E79E68CF9.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 22
Here is a coupe of measurements compared to new brass and one that got stuck… looks like it’s .002 difference… also you asked if it was a savage??? Have you experienced this with savages? And what makes them specifically do this???

Piece of shit extractor design.

And an ejection spring that is too small in diameter and too short.

Savages shoot well, if you can the damn things to cycle.

What’s the dia on a sized case?

Reactions: cfuentes
Edit: Nevermind, post 6 identified the issue.

Measure the stuck brass and compare it to the unstuck brass, your answers are in your numbers.
Fired vs sized; see what number isn’t smaller when sized, it should correspond with those that are larger when fired.
In this case, once in awhile I have a tight case and I think it’s the base, some bounce back to the same as before the die on the caliper and some are smaller likely from when I was experimenting and really hammering them hard on the prior barrel. It’s my issue but it’s not really bad so far, the only ~half thou difference is riding a fine line but on the right side of it, sounds like yours may not be so lucky.
View attachment 8267981

If it is your base numbers then no, annealing wont do anything for you. If you instead had some that were hard to chamber and the numbers revealed that they were less resistant to taking the sizing down in the die and springing back then annealing would help, doesnt seem to be the issue there.
(But still start that before sizing if you can.)

Also, clean your barrel and chamber
Piece of shit extractor design.

And an ejection spring that is too small in diameter and too short.

Savages shoot well, if you can the damn things to cycle.
Yea I had experience this before when the extractor wouldn’t grab the brass and it would “slip” and the bolt can be pulled back but the brass stayed behind. I bought this to fix that problem: https://kinneysshootingsupply.com/ss-2401-savage-enhanced-extractor-ejector-kit/. Ever since then the bolt wouldn’t slip from grabbing the brass. But now I’m experiencing the brass being stuck on some brass so I need to pull the crap out of the bolt back. I heard the Wilson fl sizing die doesn’t fl the whole length of the brass so maybe after so many shots the base just gets to big.. but I’m not sure can .002” make that difference to where it will get stuck?

Just make it easy and provide the actual dimensions instead of a relative one. And for all of the dimensions, diameters of base, shoulder and neck, not just piece meal one at a time thats impossible to track after a couple posts asking for further clarification. And actually write them all down.

But if it really is taking it that much smaller I would be surprised if its sticking. Id still suspect that the sticky outliers arent taking that number.