• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Newer Hide member checking in here. Been at jiu jitsu nine years. Don't get to train as much as I like or as I used to. Interesting reading the take on BJJ vs GJJ. I have trained with two camps (technically three but my current teacher is a black belt under my original) and they were a bit different. My original professor had an especially deep understanding of using jiu jitsu on the mat, in the cage, and on the street and the differences needed in those scenarios. My other professor is a top level competitor. He didn't teach self defense nearly as much but he could really push you to improve. I also have always chuckled at the guys who say there's no gis on the street. Jackets, hoodies, t-shirts, jeans, shorts can all be used. Anyway, I love jiu jitsu and won't quit so long as I'm physically able to do it. You guys like jiu jitsu and guns? That's awesome!

Reactions: davere
Been doing it three and half years. Love it. I’m a mediocre blue belt old guy. Started at 42. Wish I’d have discovered it even 10 years ago.

1547542466300.png

Been doing it three and half years. Love it. I’m a mediocre blue belt old guy. Started at 42. Wish I’d have discovered it even 10 years ago.
Better a mediocre blue belt than someone who's never trained!

One of the coolest things I heard someone say about jiu jitsu was by Rener Gracie I think. "It's a modifiable jiu jitsu." Sambo has some awesome techniques for sure. So I think I'll train with the sambo guy at my gym, learn his techniques, steal them, and call them jiu jitsu!

I started at 42, as well. Been at it a little over 5 years, myself. Better late than never. The biggest thing I find vs. the kids is that I better damn well show up early and warm up well, or I'm prone to muscle strains, etc. I also need to focus on clean technique, or I also risk easier injury.

I'm without a school right now, and it's killing me. I moved back to a free state (yay, Texas!), but was laid off from my job at the same time, and I'm still working out regular income... so I can't afford a school, yet. I've been lucky enough to find a small crew that drills once or twice a week, and they've been gracious enough to let me play until my situation improves. I'm looking forward to that situation changing!

Reactions: seeker120
I started at 42, as well. Been at it a little over 5 years, myself. Better late than never. The biggest thing I find vs. the kids is that I better damn well show up early and warm up well, or I'm prone to muscle strains, etc. I also need to focus on clean technique, or I also risk easier injury.

I'm without a school right now, and it's killing me. I moved back to a free state (yay, Texas!), but was laid off from my job at the same time, and I'm still working out regular income... so I can't afford a school, yet. I've been lucky enough to find a small crew that drills once or twice a week, and they've been gracious enough to let me play until my situation improves. I'm looking forward to that situation changing!
It's good you've got a group to work with. Also, you might ask them, some schools will trade work/chores around the gym for fees. My school will (also have known some that won't).

Good luck with the job hunt!

some schools will trade work/chores around the gym for fees. My school will (also have known some that won't).

Hi,

THIS right there!!

An hour cleaning mats after class is worth the cost of admissions.
We typically see gyms that allow this being run by mainly 1st, sometimes 2nd generation imports from Brazil because unless they come from a certain lineage in Brazil...this is exactly how they worked their way up to Black belt. An instructor took them in and taught them in exchange for chores.

Sincerely,
Theis

I’m under Phil and Rick Migliarese out of philly. I’ve moved all over the country with work and ran several team Balance affiliate schools under them.

https://balancenomad.weebly.com/instructor.html

Page is a bit outdated but here is a brief career snapshot

Honestly, I’m not deserving of my black at the moment. Need to get more regular with my training.

Last edited:
The Gracie family taught our combatives instructor at the SBASC at Ft. Lewis. Spent 6 months to a year down there with him at one point. Lived with the family. Came back just in time to deploy, so so much for "train the trainer" there! He, on the other hand, got one on one with the entire family for the better part of 2003-2004! Boy did he learn some shit though.

They had JUST stopped the "old" self defense shit when I joined the army and in basic we were one of the first to employ ground fighting. It carried on to the unit where we had matches with other units (nothing like seeing your CSM fuckstomp some other unit's 1SG over who won a match!). It's really a more natural way of fighting and gives you huge advantages over others when the fight winds up on the floor. Which is where I try to take it ASAP.

I'm all broken and fucked up now, feet are shattered, and I'm glad I learned some of this because of all the martial arts, it the one probably most useful late in life or if you sustain a chronic injury, etc. Like me.

Reactions: Nooch13
This morning was my first bjj class, What an awesome experience. Learned a lot and had fun. But I will tell you, at 51, it physically kicked my ass! An hour flew by. Im hooked hard.

Reactions: vol375 and davere
Welcome. It’s a lifetime of fun. Just learn how to play the long game. Winning a match tonight is much less important than coming back tomorrow night and experimenting at the risk of losing. Also. I have learned I can be successful against guys that are faster stronger if I play patient and pressure. You don’t have to lunge for the armbar. Just stay within your base/structure and inchworm into it.

A blue belt, doing bjj for 16 months.
I have met some great people that were very helpful while choking you out.

Being humble, tap out early and often, and just keep coming back are key.
The professor is super important in establishing the right atmosphere. My professor is more old school, focused on self defense, not so much on tournaments.

Seeker

@Ziatriguy keep it up! I trained for several years, found a bunch of excuses and stopped for 8 years. I’ve been back at at for 3 years and have a 4 and 6 year old training. I’ve trained at 2 different schools and by pure luck landed in world class BJJ training.

Humility and consistency is the key. My younger self didn’t understand the humility part and was often injured. My older self is practically injury free.

Just like punisher 29073, I’ve been thinking about trying BJJ. What things should an 40 something year old guy look for in a BJJ school if they wanted to get started?
Feel free to PM me with any suggestions.

Just like punisher 29073, I’ve been thinking about trying BJJ. What things should an 40 something year old guy look for in a BJJ school if they wanted to get started?

I'm 47 - started BJJ when I was 41. I don't know that I'd suggest anything all that different from what I'd tell anyone else.

You'd probably be best avoiding a class that's full of 18-20 year old kids - or at least find one that has guys late 20s and up involved, as well. You can easily roll with the youngsters - you're likely to find that, depending on your conditioning, you'll have to play a different (less hard charging) game than they will, but that's good for you. The issue is that many times, there'll be a couple of guys in a squad like that who don't yet understand that their goal shouldn't be to break everyone they roll with. They think everything is a tournament. So, having some guys in the class who aren't so "win at all costs" about it is a useful thing to avoid injury.

Your best bet might be to call or stop in to a couple of schools in your area and talk to the professor. Find one that you have a rapport with, and start there. Ask to observe a class, if you want, too. It will take a little while to learn how to gauge the quality of the school, but if you have any friends that roll already, they might be able to help, there. The spirit you're looking for is a place where guys are having fun, and it looks like competitive "play", not all out war - and a place where the students are helping one another learn cooperatively.

Tap early, tap often, and without reservation. Leave your ego at the door - it's about learning, not winning, especially in the beginning. Expect to feel some panic at times, and to feel uncomfortable for a while. Those things will pass, but it's part of the deal until you learn to relax under that stress. You're going to spend your first six months or so wondering just why in the hell everyone is tapping you, and you can't seem to remember anything you've been taught, much less actually tap someone out. It's all good, and it will improve!

Reactions: StealthOwl
@davete, thank you for the info!
I don’t think there are many options out my way for choices, but I’ll take your advise and go watch a class or two and see what I think.

Hi,

I hate to say it, but there is not a gym in Kalispell I would walk into.

You literally have a gym where Instructor says on his website that he started BJJ in mid 1990s and got his black belt in 1998.......RUN AWAY!!!!
Here is the fastest people to ever achieve BJJ Blackbelt and he is no where on this list, lol.
https://bjj-world.com/15-fastest-jiu-jitsu-black-belt-promotions-history-bjj/

ZOO in Missoula would be my Montana recommendation but that is a little drive for you.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

HOLY SHIT and that same guy claims he has a 14-0 Professional Muay Thai record with 14 KOs......

He is the martial arts equivalent to a Delta SEAL Ranger Space Door Gunner.......

His fake black belt claim was listed on Bullshido.net in 2016 but yet he still has it listed on his website as legit, looks like he just changed name of person he received it from.

Sincerely,
Theis

Newer hide member been training for 13 years. Trained at a few gyms started with a purple belt (now Gracie blackbelt) then moved to Rafael Lovato’s gym, switched gyms again and now train under one of his black belts.

Saturday was awesome! I went to class like normal, then after class my wife and I were both called to the front and given our 3rd stripe on our white belts. 6 months of 5=6 hours a week on the mats has paid off! After class was an hour of open mat. I survived 4 minutes with a purple belt ( of course it was a 5 minute round...but its improvement) Then was able to submit a blue belt.....who got me back the next round. What an awesome way to keep in shape and train like a beast! 30 lbs down and I can last 8 or 9 five minute rounds without puking. I have gained a family. The team is awesome and genuinely care about each other.

Started training a week ago at FTW in Asheville NC under black belt Brad Hannah. Absolutely love it. Trying to leave my Marine Corps mixed martial arts training at the door and go into it with a learners attitude. Currently rocking a sprained and fractured thumb, but taping it up and still training.
Didn’t realize what a great cardio session it was going to be!

Reactions: Ziatriguy
Still doing it work permitting, Tuesday’s and Thursday’s and after Rolling get to do Kickboxing..... Been doing it over like 3 years and really like it. Instructor is a really humble guy and all the fellow students are so nice.

Checking in, now a purple belt under Roy Dean.

If you are in doubt about trying BJJ, just try it. Its not like you'll die. More likely you'll like it.
You may even love it, and gain a new lifestyle and alot of new friends that feel like family.

Just finished my first year of BJJ. Over the year Ive lost 45ish pounds, put on lean muscle, learned a ton, made some amazing friends, and earned my 4th stripe on my white belt. Im training 6-8 hours a week. My only regret is not starting way sooner. If you are on the fence about it, just do it.

Seems like there are a lot of early-40's getting into BJJ, and I consider myself in that group. Former MCMAP MAI and 42yr old here, proudly wearing a white belt.

Things to consider when looking for a training facility:

- Establish a dialogue with an instructor, and request to observe a non-beginner class. Are the senior students having a good time and laughing? Is everyone trying to kill each other, or is there a sense of mutual respect? Is the instructor seen as a coach/mentor, or are they trying to enforce a hierarchy?

- Look for some type of inventory diagnosis from the instructors. Do they offer initial private instruction to assess strength/mobility and overall fitness, and are they willing to tell you to come back when you can meet a minimum criteria, or are they trying to rush you to the counter to sign up?

- Look for some type of formal restriction on beginners being allowed to roll. How many classes before rolling? Are there restrictions during "open mat" as to when beginners can roll with other belt levels (if beginners are allowed to roll with other beginners, run away).

- Keep in mind there will always be "that 10%" of knuckleheads that can't play nice. If the above points are favorable, then there's a good chance the instructors have already noticed and will eventually show them the door. Try to stay clear of them until this happens.

- Keep in mind that people significantly younger than you will be "senior" in this setting. They also may have a hard time mentoring someone 15yrs older, so showing an excess of humility will help bridge that gap. Again, if this isn't reciprocated, then leave.

@THEIS / Anyone have suggestions for a complete newbie on where to go in central CT? PM me if you need my exact location

Last edited:
@THEIS / Anyone have suggestions for a complete newbie on where to go in central CT? PM me if you need my exact location

it would def help to know where you are in CT. People tend to give Gracie Barra a hard time about being a McDojo, but they get results. Renzo Gracie would be another good one, but I’m not sure that either of them are in your area.

it would def help to know where you are in CT. People tend to give Gracie Barra a hard time about being a McDojo, but they get results. Renzo Gracie would be another good one, but I’m not sure that either of them are in your area.

Message sent

Competitive wrestler growing up, coached highschool after I was done, have been doing BJJ for the last few years. Train at Carlson Gracie/Stockman JiuJitsu in Indianapolis, IN. Gi/NoGi/Freestyle/Greco/Folkstyle, Love it all!

Used to do a sparring when in my unit. One of my team leaders if I remember correctly was brown in gjj. My other team leader/sparring partner had belts in different things and started cage fighting after Iraq.
I really loved it and miss it and want to formally get in but not many options here.
my brown belt sarge would always lock me up. Until I once managed to get him in a choke hold. He wouldn't tap. Eventually I let him up instead of choking him out. He never would spar with me again after that. I think I broke his ego.

My wife and I ordered some mats from Amazon. Our living room is now grappling central until the covid school closure is over. Our school is doing Zoom classes. So we watch the techniques and then drill them. The professor can see us and make corrections. Its not a perfect solution but man it feel good to roll again!!!

Reactions: WirgmanUSMC