• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Break in/cleaning

L2bravo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2012
Republic of Texas.
Sorry if this is not the right place for this, mods please feel free to move if needed.

So I come from the AR world, Where are you really do not have to seriously do any break-in.

I am almost finished with my RPR in 308. I have not shot it as of yet. Is there any break in procedure that you guys follow or recommended?

Also how often do you need to clean it? As in a deep clean, removing all copper or fouling? It seems that I have read something somewhere that dictates that is not as often now as what used to be protocol.

Aside from break in, what light cleaning do you do in the interval? Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

I shoot my groups of 3 or 5 and clean after every group for the first 50 rounds, then just shoot and deep clean 100rounds after that. Once I’m done with those first 150 rounds I run a bore snake down it every 150-200 and then I don’t deep clean until accuracy changes

I shoot my groups of 3 or 5 and clean after every group for the first 50 rounds, then just shoot and deep clean 100rounds after that. Once I’m done with those first 150 rounds I run a bore snake down it every 150-200 and then I don’t deep clean until accuracy changes

Do you mind telling me what you do for your deep cleaning?

Check the barrel manufacturer's website regarding cleaning. I have a Criterion SS on my rifle. I ran a few cleaning patches down the barrel when new, followed by one or two oil patches, then patched clean. Load, Shoot, Repeat. Over 700 rounds and still a 1/2" gun, nary a cleaning.

Reactions: L2bravo
It's all just opinion. When the barrel manufacturers don't agree on anything how could it be anything else.

I think it was Barrette (or one of the biggies) who said it's the most accurate on the first shot, and any more shooting or cleaning only reduces accuracy from that point.

I would just follow the MFGs instructions and call it good. That means it will be different for different rifles, but hey, life is unfair.

Before shooting the first time I do run a couple felts down through. I just use a rem oil damp felt for that and then a dry. First one comes out dirty.

If you want to do a break in that's actually meaningful on a rough factory barrel, get the Tubbs final finish kit and run it. It works wonders on factory barrels.

Other than that, just do an initial cleaning a shoot it. Cleaning isn't going to speed up the fire lapping process.

Reactions: b6graham
Run a few patches down the new barrel before shooting. Clean after your first range trip and then I don’t clean again until accuracy falls off.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Do you mind telling me what you do for your deep cleaning?
I use wipe out and patches only. Run patches until there’s no longer any green copper signs then run a few more to make sure it’s all dry, be careful using it though cause you can keep getting black patches after the green, that’s your barrel not powder

Reactions: L2bravo
Clean before I put a single round through it, do my first range trip, clean it and then be done with it.

I'll run some CLP and patches only every 500ish rounds only because my crown/brake get a good soak/scrub then. ( will also do this after a particularly rainy/snowy match)

I'll clean after every match the action, lugs, chamber and bolt.

I'll do a deep clean of copper/fouling with brush and patches at the end of the season unless I start getting some unexplained fliers.

Here's the top pinned post in the Gunsmithing section of this site

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/objective-research-on-barrel-break-in-procedures.27321/

It provides a good look at barrel break in procedures from an objective point of view. The skinny of it is that you're more likely to damage your barrel from overcleaning than do any good.

It's impossible to polish the barrel using normal cleaning materials and compounds, and any decently manufactured barrel will be polished much better than you could do with hand cleaning tools anyways. The majority of damage in barrels, from those who have looked at thousands of barrels with borescopes, comes from cleaning rods. All this shoot and clean, shoot and clean process does is increase the chances of you incurring this kind of damage with excessive scrubbing of the bore.

My barrel break-in procedure is pretty simple...I shoot it until the barrel needs to be replaced. My cleaning procedure is equally as simple...I only clean when accuracy drops off or when I get mud or debris in the barrel. I do grease lugs occasionally and make sure extractors are free of gunk.

My procedures have served me well over many barrels and rifles. :)

You need to go to as many gun websites as you can find seeking out "Larry" or "God Damn Right".

Ask him politely this question and he will explain in plain language his methods of performing a proper break in.

Pretty sure he has vids on Youtube that explain it in detail. All his guns shoot great.

You need to go to as many gun websites as you can find seeking out "Larry" or "God Damn Right".

Ask him politely this question and he will explain in plain language his methods of performing a proper break in.

Pretty sure he has vids on Youtube that explain it in detail. All his guns shoot great.

Lol. God damn right????? That’s funny.

I roll with the just shoot it philosophy. Unless its out hunting with me or gets dropped in the mud then I'll clean it. If its gonna sit idle in my safe for a while I will run a patch with some SLIP or CLP down the barrel.