• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Break IN

jevan126

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
With today"s high tech made rifles and with quality being at an all time high for materials does anyone think that new rifle barrels really need to be broken in ? If so how do most of you break in your barrels ?

+1 to Big Z
I cradle mine lovingly as I set it in its case.
At the range, I carefully remove it and set it out on the bench. I check all the action, remove the chamber flag, gently insert the magazine and chamber a round, making sure the safety is on.

Then I flip the safety off and shoot the heck out of it for the next two or three hours.

That's interesting the guys at ga precision have a very specific break in process for there rifles, of which I am awaiting one :)

If a specific barrel does need breaking-in, the manufacturer will offer instructions on the procedure. I'll go with the manufacturers instructions, over YouTube asshatery, every time.

Some "internet asshattery" from Gale McMillan:

The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business . He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel he shipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap?. His answer was Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before they change it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. If you will stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material that has been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean it ever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. This means if you are a bench rest shooter you clean ever 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20 rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time you are spending during break in.

LOL video to funny, I was not asking for myself but to see the different responses I would get. I guess for the most part ( Break-In = SHOOT THE HELL OUT OF IT )

Try to get some views of the most notable & authority Gale McMillan, it will give you some insight what is right. There are a lot of
recommendation that I read but you will be enlightened once you read one of the forum that Gale McMillan was involve regarding
break in of the new barrel. You will be able to realized what is the myth versus reality. I think it was M14 Forum, discussion of various armorers & Gale McMillan . You will like this one guys & will really enlighten you about the subject of BARREL BRAKE IN.

I followed my barrel break in procedure to the letter from ArmaLite for my first child. Then I realized how stupid and useless it was and now I shoot the shit outta it. I don't even use copper solvent in my barrels until 400-500 rounds have passed through. When Im done for the day, I run the bore snake through ONE time, clean the carbon out of the action and im done.

Seriously, how is a cloth patch supposed to remove a metal machined burr? Please explain that one!

my breakin is called shoot and have fun, clean it when accuracy is an issue.

That's interesting the guys at ga precision have a very specific break in process for there rifles, of which I am awaiting one :)

The barrel is outsourced. The regime for break-in is largely a consumer demanded aspect.

Last edited:
Here is a little longer quote (I got from Accurateshooter.com):
There are three schools of thought on barrel break-in. First, famed barrel-maker Gail McMillan believed “less is more”. Simply shoot five shots, clean, shoot another five shots, clean, and then clean every 5-10 shots or so over the life of the barrel. He argued that the “one-shot, one-clean” ritual was a gimmick devised by barrel makers to wear out barrels more quickly so they can sell more product. He rightly points out that every shot down the tube just reduces your barrel’s maximum accuracy life.

The second school of thought, with Krieger in this camp, suggests to shoot and clean after every shot for 5 shots, then again after every 3 shots, until fouling is not noticeable: “Initially you should perform the shoot-one-shot-and-clean cycle for five cycles. If fouling hasn’t reduced, fire five more cycles and so on until fouling begins to drop off. At that point shoot three shots before cleaning and observe. If fouling is reduced, fire five shots before cleaning.” Full Article.

The third and last school of thought says to clean aggressively after every shot for a dozen shots or more, and to use an abrasive lapping compound such as JB after each of the first few shots. The idea is that this will “polish” up the throat to reduce fouling and enhance velocity. Along with bore paste, you can fire-lap the bore using bullets impregnated with fine abrasives. This is done most easily with the Tubb Final Finish system which contains bullets with five different grit levels. So, what procedure should you follow? We think Gale McMillan is probably right, but he was talking about fine custom barrels that are already hand-lapped to a mirror finish. If your barrel is rough to start out with, the other methods have some merit. We would not use Final Finish on a hand-lapped custom barrel however.
----Kreiger also knows a thing or two about barrels, then there is a guy that uses a lot of barrels David Tubb, he thinks McMillan is"probably right" when talking about fine custom tubes. There is more than one answer.

When I get a new barrel I like to shoot 15-20 rounds and clean it to see if there is any noticeably bad copper fouling. Usually on hand lapped barrels from good barrel makers there is hardly any fouling present. I wouldn't call it a "break in" rather more like a personal "test" to see how it cleans up. Then I just shoot it until accuracy starts to suffer then give the bore a good clean and make a notation of the round count. The "barrel break in procedures" are just a waste of my time IMO and I choose not to do it. Your barrel, your money, your choice.

I just shoot the damn thing..... I used to do this, but I've come to this conclusion... F#CK it! All of my sub-moa rifles have never been "broke in". About the only thing I'll do with a new rifle is check down the barrel with a light and run a snake with CLP on it once. Then go to town and enjoy the rifle.

You want the bull barrel not the cow barrel!! That's some good stuff. I have never broken in any of my guns just take them home a say well let's see what it will do.

Some makers say that the cleaning in between shots is also to give the barrel time to cool down. Something like the steel doesn't get a "memory", and accuracy suffers if allowed to get too hot in the initial few shots. Supposedly the rifle will string shots later in life as it heats up if this memory isnt there. I am skeptical if this is true, but one box of shells to do the break in won't kill me if they are right. lol

It depends on the rifles use. If you got a range gun then it's probably not needed. But all of my rifles get broken in first. I hear people say all the time that my guns group well. Is it because I break them in? It could be. I have never tried not breaking a barrel in so I can't comment on that. I don't shoot once and clean to remove burrs, I do it to get heat cycles though the barrel.

I would reccomend you follow what GA Precision says .I have a Crusader and followed there break inn to the letter and mine shoots Great.
A friend of mine did'nt it shoots good but not nearly as good as mine