• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Breaking News : AAC Silencer Shoot Cancelled

Re: Breaking News : AAC Silencer Shoot Cancelled

lawyers is my guess

Son of a B!tch. that really sucks

Hmm maybe it would be good to have the event I was thinking about and combine it with an industry shoot I wanted to hold last year.

LL, I actually believe that is the only way to go. Too many suppressor manufacturers (of consequence) would not participate in the AAC event by company edict. Whole host of reasons why, some reasonable and justafiable, some not. An event set on nuetral ground would welcome all and make the makers come forward and compete in all areas of performance (not just dBs...say, accuracy (two big solicitations just finalized on .338), drop test (many bit the dust of basic drop test...yes, all QD), weight, etc.,etc.

A SH event would, I believe be just the ticket. All aspects of performance properly measured. All cans, ALL CANS, must production run models. Let the games begin.

Having said that, we can look to AAC/Remington to stage another event in the Spring of 2011. But that still does not cahnge the basic premise...one show is a Corporate Sponsored broadly based firearms/accessories show with suppressors....and the SH event would be nuetral ground, competition.

word is they ran outta room ...to many people

They put up a new announcement. With all the vendors/guests/etc that wanted in they couldn't devote enough time to it for this year. So they are going to hire a full time staff to do one in Spring of 2011.

Why is it any surprise that the now Cerberus....er Freedom Group... owned AAC is pushing back dates? Isn't it well established that what Cerberus does is say, in effect, hurry up and wait and we'll hire more people to get you a better end product that will justify the huge upswing in cost? ACR anyone? End rant.

I can see them pushing it back...... and I can see why.

For those that attended the one at Red Hill last year they all know that it just wont cut it for what its grown to be.

I helped last year as a volunteer and was at the road for the better part of the day directing traffic and having to tell people that there was no more parking left inside in the field and that parking along the road was the only thing left and people would have to hump it in.

This years shoot was to be held at an all new venue in Tennessee at a training complex and is much much larger than the Red Hill range.

I dont doubt that they wanted to have many many more vendors and such I think that they are wanting to turn the silencer shoot into something simial to shot show but an outdoor event where items could be shot and tested right there on the spot.

Being less than 1 hour away from the area I can guarantee you they wouldn't have run out of room at Tier1.
They could put several SHOT show floors worth of space there easily.
Range areas to boot.
Logistics amongst others would be a good guess for delay/cancellation.
A no shit, non biased, industry shoot with and without silencers would be a very good venue. Add booths with gear and you would really have something.

If you build it......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lawyers is my guess </div></div>

+1

Lately it seems you cannot have a shoot or a show without somebody getting shot.

The event started off as a wonderful place and opportunity to actually learn about suppressors. It was a place where people could touch, feel, shoot and hear suppressors and gain massive amounts of useful information to then make an informed purchase. The event started changing in 2008 and in 2009 it had morphed into more of a machine gun shoot and gun show. Last year more people were interested in shooting some cool guns that they otherwise will never get their hands on than they were interested in actually learning about suppressors. It became an event more focused on free giveaways and merchants who bought tables in the "gun show" tent.

I hope they can get the event back to something more along the lines of the first few events. Those were awesome.

Mark

I am excited about the possibility of SH getting involved and participating. I will certainly support that.

The event has certainly evolved, and I hope will continue to do so. Some people complain no matter what...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The event started off as a wonderful place and opportunity to actually learn about suppressors. It was a place where people could touch, feel, shoot and hear suppressors and gain massive amounts of useful information to then make an informed purchase. The event started changing in 2008 and in 2009 it had morphed into more of a machine gun shoot and gun show. Last year more people were interested in shooting some cool guns that they otherwise will never get their hands on than they were interested in actually learning about suppressors. It became an event more focused on free giveaways and merchants who bought tables in the "gun show" tent.

I hope they can get the event back to something more along the lines of the first few events. Those were awesome.
</div></div>

Agreed 100%

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevin/aac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am excited about the possibility of SH getting involved and participating. I will certainly support that.

The event has certainly evolved, and I hope will continue to do so. Some people complain no matter what...</div></div>

Kevin, I spoke to Jacob and they seem to be open to the idea of hosting an event here at RO where we can have the Suppressor type shoot with many of the companies found on SH as well we are considering having a few 4 hours clinics over 3 days as we can run 3 ranges safely at the same time and still allow free movement between them.

it would be nice to have it open to companies to demo their wares, allow people to shoot them, as well as maybe learn a thing or two over weekend.

But I will get it flushed out as it is was something I wanted to do last year, just not with the suppressor component, however it might be a nice way to tie it all together.

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> An event set on nuetral ground would welcome all and make the makers come forward and compete in all areas of performance (not just dBs...say, accuracy (two big solicitations just finalized on .338), drop test (many bit the dust of basic drop test...yes, all QD), weight, etc.,etc.
</div></div>

A question and a comment...
When you say all QD do you mean all QD failed, or all failures were QD? If some QD's passed, would you mind letting us know who?

Regarding testing, db's is not a sufficient measure. You need someone with real mics, and real software. The reduction in peak, as seen on spl meters is important for the guy with his ear next to the gun, but it isn't the only effect on sound. For people near, the average level is important in terms of comfort. For obfuscating your location, compressing the envelope (changing the impression like was it a crack, a thud, a rumble) is gonna make a bigger difference than either because the event is completely distorted before it even reflects off of terrain surfaces.

Peak db

rms db over say the time period before 70db is reached (depends on environment if that us practical, but you can pick a good decay level after gathering the audio)

time to reach 70db

resonant frequency

Before and afters of the above, both full spectrum and at a few choice frequencies, measured from behind, beside, and in front of the unit, please.