• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Briefcases and other fine leather goods

LuckyDuck

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Has the Hide discussed this topic? I haven't been able to locate anything that quite fits the topic aside from the quality watch page. For us "office warriors" that roll into our workplace day after day and appreciate a fine piece of leather to be your briefcase, what manufactures/models have you settled on? Personally, I've spent an embarrassing amount of money with Saddleback Leather as an example.

-LD

Reactions: yakstone
    giphy (5).gif

I guess we will have to take you at your word if your one of those guys who say $20 is $20
    I've got to tell ya- it's been close to a decade now and I still enjoy walking into a meeting with my Saddleback Portfolio and taking notes with a (higher than BIC) quality pen. If this isn't your bag (no pun intended) that's fine by me but I figured this community appreciates a high quality leather holster or even a correctly put together leather skin so that eye for leather quality should theoretically transfer over to non-firearm tasks in our chosen professions.

-LD

Last edited:
    Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    I've got to tell ya- it's been close to a decade now and I still enjoy walking into a meeting with my Saddleback Portfolio and taking notes with a (higher than BIC) quality pen. If this isn't your bag (no pun intended) that's fine by me but I figured this community appreciates a high quality leather holster so that eye for leather quality should theoretically transfer over to non-firearm tasks in our chosen professions.

-LD
    Mascon leather does great work. It isn’t cheap and there’s a long wait list. I have a Chunky Charlie wallet, 3 passport covers for my family, a checkbook cover, and a large notebook cover. Currently waiting for another Chunky Charlie in a different type leather from the one I already have. Don’t need another, just wanted to try something different. They hold up great.

Mascon leather does great work. It isn’t cheap and there’s a long wait list. I have a Chunky Charlie wallet, 3 passport covers for my family, a checkbook cover, and a large notebook cover. Currently waiting for another Chunky Charlie in a different type leather from the one I already have. Don’t need another, just wanted to try something different. They hold up great.
    Never heard of them personally but looking them up now. Thanks for the tip!

-LD

Quality leather goods:

:ROFLMAO: Whelp- learned something new tonight. That reminds me of circa... 2018 or so that my credit union called me saying there was a suspicious charge on my account being billed to 'OnlyFans' and my response to the lady on the phone was "Yep- certainly wasn't me, I don't really follow sports..."

-LD

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Milt Sparks goodness and have it on my "to-do" list to pick up at least two for their products this year, but I was hoping to expand past quality leather holster makers and move into quality leather manufactures for daily products such as briefcases/portfolios/etc. Milt Sparks provides an amazing product no doubt.

-LD

I’m negligent in taking pictures, that’s where my wife excels. This is a recent duffel. We do a great messenger style bag too. Think I have a few examples posted on the leather working thread, but didn’t save em on my phone

Attachments

• IMG_6752.jpeg
      IMG_6752.jpeg
      311.8 KB · Views: 67
    Reactions: Balor
    I’m negligent in taking pictures, that’s where my wife excels. This is a recent duffel. We do a great messenger style bag too. Think I have a few examples posted on the leather working thread, but didn’t save em on my phone
    Very nice- wasn't calling you a potato sir- just didn't see a link to your shop. Holy smokes, I just saw that you're from Idaho too... I assure you that was merely a coincidence and not intended as a slight. I'll have to checkout the leather working thread, appreciate the suggestion.

-LD

Very nice- wasn't calling you a potato sir- just didn't see a link to your shop. Holy smokes, I just saw that you're from Idaho too... I assure you that was merely a coincidence and not intended as a slight. I'll have to checkout the leather working thread, appreciate the suggestion.

-LD
    No worries- I was trying to be funny. We have a neat little shop in north Idaho. If you’re ever in the area, I’d be happy to give you the tour.

@LuckyDuck
    what @JJMoody makes is very nice. Pics don’t do it justice. He’s also a super cool guy.

Links on his website take you to Facebook and instagram.

Oh I have no doubt- my follow up response was in fact sincere (I know it's hard to decipher that in the Pit but dang this topic wouldn't fit anywhere else). I've got an eye for quality leather and greatly appreciate it in all forms. I had mentioned it previously but my intention was to start a thread focused on amazing leather goods that aren't holsters or gun related. I know many of us appreciate quality leather holsters but also know that there's a big group of folks that appreciate quality saddle makers as an example but thought I'd reach more leather product aficionados with the briefcase/office product angle (I don't own horses myself) since that appreciation likely cares over to our work lives.

In either event, appreciate you taking the time to share it with me, I'll certainly check @JJMoody links tomorrow. I was revisiting this thread to spend a little more time on the links suggested (which I'd have to say- mission accomplished, lots of other quality companies to research that I frankly never heard of).... but while sincere, it is at least a "little bit" funny right that he's from Idaho and came back with him not being a "potato" right or is that just me (again, no disrespect was intended)?

-LD

No worries- I was trying to be funny. We have a neat little shop in north Idaho. If you’re ever in the area, I’d be happy to give you the tour.
    I appreciate the invite- I'll keep it in mind if I ever end up in that neck of our country. GTG here, just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't intentionally joshing with you when I said potato, just a very odd coincidence and not an insult to your work.

-LD

If you offend someone from Idaho with any potato reference, then maybe they ain’t a real Idahoan. 😀

Yeah looks like a lot of nice places were brought up in this thread! Good idea for the thread.

If you offend someone from Idaho with any potato reference, then maybe they ain’t a real Idahoan. 😀

Yeah looks like a lot of nice places were brought up in this thread! Good idea for the thread.
    Hah- my ancestry/lineage is all Irish so, in addition to drinking problems, we likely also have it worse with the brunt end of those potato jokes than even the Idahoans do!

-LD

• Haha
    Reactions: Makinchips208
    Warbird leather. Paul does great work.
    Dang, don’t they ever. Beautiful products. That’s a one man shop run by… Paul right? I first learned about them from one of the 1911 forums about 5 years or so ago (definitely was before COVID) but the lead times then, at least from what I remember, was something along the lines of at least being something like a year out because he exploded in popularity with the 1911 folks.

Would love to revisit his website this week and appreciate you mentioning his work to bring it back to my attention.

-LD

Reactions: FWoo45
    A.G. Russel has a knife shop, but they also have a gentlemen’s line of messenger bags and such. I’ve only dealt with their knife shop, but they were good people. Not sure if they will have what you are looking for, but it’s worth a look.

Reactions: LuckyDuck