• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Broken Firing Pin (Surgeon)

d_train821

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2017
i have a surgeon 591SA, small firing pin action. the tip of the firing pin busted off while doing dry fires. firing pins are not covered in their warrenty, so will a standard rem700 firing pin work as a replacement?

Why not just contact Surgeon and obtain the part from them, get a spring while you are in there and buy some snap caps.
This is very unusual, firing pins on center fire rifles don't break from dry fire.
This really should be in the Gunsmithing section anyway.

This is very unusual, firing pins on center fire rifles don't break from dry fire.

Oh, you can break them alright. My experience is that they are good for about 10k cycles on average, multiple different action manufacturers. I think I've broken 3 or 4. I'd rather replace firing pins than feed 10k snap caps into a mag.

Not a big deal to replace, you can do it yourself. I would buy one from Surgeon though.

Reactions: Nomad909
I really don't bother with snap caps on anything but high end shotguns.
10K cycles sounds about right for a center fire rifle.
I like to snap in for awhile when at the range before I go to live ammo and may do a bit at home. No live ammo at home, it its always in another room.
Rimfire guns are a different animal and I will always use snap caps there to avoid broken firing pins or dented barrels.
A good design should have no issues with firing pin breakage, there should be adequate clearance on the components to prevent severe metal to metal contact. Now, if someone without engineering drawings elected to bush the firing pin hole and screwed something up, well, you are on your own there.

rem700 firing pins wont work. holes dont line up on the cocking piece, just a little too long of a firing pin. surgeon is hooking me up with an overnighted firing pin for $23