• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Brownell's 5-25x56 MPO is finally in stock!

Wade2big,
Thanks for the review. That's disappointing to hear....

I'm looking really hard at this as an option. Its kinda between the MPO, XTRII, or Optika 6 so if anybody has any experience with any combination I would really appreciate hearing about it. I'm literally going tomorrow to start donating plasma to fund my scope ? so hopefully by the time I have the cash Brownells has this squared away.
@freeride wrote the review. I was just picking on him.

So are you saying you would or wouldn’t recommend to a friend?

Based om my sample I would not recommend it. Hopefully this is a lemon. I am a bit undesided as to what I am going to do when I return this scope. Ask for a refund or have a new scope shipped. I need a new scope, but I do not need the hassle of having to do the QC for Brownells.

Reactions: wb00757
Maybe someone from brownells is on this forum to see your discrepancies that were discovered.

I ran a bunch of codes through this morning best I could find was M8Y code down to $980.99 shipped....darn double reticle has me interested

@freeride,
Thanks for the review. That's disappointing to hear....

I'm looking really hard at this as an option. Its kinda between the MPO, XTRII, or Optika 6 so if anybody has any experience with any combination I would really appreciate hearing about it. I'm literally going tomorrow to start donating plasma to fund my scope ? so hopefully by the time I have the cash Brownells has this squared away.
I just received mine 2 days ago, and I have none of the issues mentioned. In fact, the turrets are one of the best features of the scope. The glass is VERY clear, and the rericle design is very innovative. It is quite heavy, but it seems to be built like a tank. Here are two shots. One at 5x and the
MPO16xsmall.jpg
other at 16x.
MPO5xsmall.jpg

The 3-18x50 I have been messing with has none of the issues mentioned here. I am quite impressed with it so far.

I will say that with most scopes, especially FFP ones, you really need to take your time to dial in the eyepiece or there will be distortion issues.

ILya

Reactions: Mechdesigner
I assumed that I had not been able to get the focusing perfect yet, so I considered the reticle issue to be a minor issue. Anyway I do not move my head around when shooting.

I made a pair of plastic rings to mount the scope on a heavy stand so that I could check the tracking when the daylight returns [I live at almost 70 degrees northern latitude so still rather dark] but when I discovered the wobble In the windage turret I got so disheartened that I desided to return the scope and ask for a refund.

Maybe that was a stupid thing to do. Maybe this scope was just a bad sample. I really liked the double line reticle.

Have anyone else tried to push on the windage knob as I do in the video?

Has anyone done a comparison of the 3-18x50 and the 5-25x56.

I can still send an email to Brownells asking them to ignore my request for a refund and ask them ship a new scope instead.

I assumed that I had not been able to get the focusing perfect yet, so I considered the reticle issue to be a minor issue. Anyway I do not move my head around when shooting.

I made a pair of plastic rings to mount the scope on a heavy stand so that I could check the tracking when the daylight returns [I live at almost 70 degrees northern latitude so still rather dark] but when I discovered the wobble In the windage turret I got so disheartened that I desided to return the scope and ask for a refund.

Maybe that was a stupid thing to do. Maybe this scope was just a bad sample. I really liked the double line reticle.

Have anyone else tried to push on the windage knob as I do in the video?

Has anyone done a comparison of the 3-18x50 and the 5-25x56.

I can still send an email to Brownells asking them to ignore my request for a refund and ask them ship a new scope instead.
You may have received a defective one. No wobble on my 5-25x56.

Thanks for the reply. I found it rater strange that this scope had sloppy threading. My Nikon scopes are tight despite costing far less.

Hell even the Athlon BTR 4-14x44 I had was not this sloppy fitted. And I know for sure how poorly the threads on the Athlon turrets was as I took the scope apart after ruining it by dropping the rifle on a concrete floor.

Hopefully more people can do the wobble test and confirm that I just got a scope that slipped through QC.

I got a really good introduction prize on the scope [25% off] so I really wanted this to be my new scope.

How does freeride get 25% off and everybody else can’t get a code to work. Hmmmmm

Apparently I got what I paid for......?

Please consider that I am talking about the Norwegian price. I still paid slightly more than you have to do in the US.

Last edited:
Apparently I got what I paid for......?

Please consider that I am talking about the Norwegian price. I still paid slightly more than you have to do in the US.

I suspect you got a fluke. I am sure Brownells will take care of you. Several people bought the MPO based on my recommendation and none are experiencing the same issues as you are.

ILya

I recently purchased 2 5-25 and am very pleased with them. I have owned every optic out there and for $1k these are a deal. The glass is very clear, the clicks are spot on and accurate. I am curious to see how they hold up long term. The nice thing is if they end up sucking I can just return them for a full refund.

I too am currently looking through the 3-18. No issues whatsoever - very good IQ, especially considering the price. I am moving from a 7-35 ATACR (dont shoot enough to warrant that glass and had some bills come up). An ATACR it is not, but its also not 1/3 the quality as the price would suggest. Havent seen anything else in its price range.

I too am currently looking through the 3-18. No issues whatsoever - very good IQ, especially considering the price. I am moving from a 7-35 ATACR (dont shoot enough to warrant that glass and had some bills come up). An ATACR it is not, but its also not 1/3 the quality as the price would suggest. Havent seen anything else in its price range.

For a general purpose precision/crossover scope under $1k, I think it is between MPO 3-18x50, PST Gen 2 3-15x44 and Optika6 3-18x50. I happen to have all three, so I will probably do a piece on them side-by-side.

ILya

Edit: Sorry to be redundant. ILya posted while I was typing my question.

What do you gain with the MPO (besides capped windage) over say:
-PST Gen2
-XTR2
-Optika 6
Or even the Arken?
Specifically talking about 5-25ish models. I feel like the PST, XTR and Optika are in pretty much the same class and it comes down to specific features and personal preference. Is the MPO a measurable improvement over those?

I'm just trying to understand because I am coming from a SWFA SS 20x as my highest quality optic, and the only nicer optic I've played with was a PST2. I shoot against a lot of Khales, razors, NF I'm my local matches and do really well with the SS. The glass is just REALLY dim and I can't back off the power to find targets quicker. If I can ever scrape together the $ I'm really interested in the MPO.

-PST Gen2
-XTR2
-Optika 6
Or even the Arken?
Specifically talking about 5-25ish models. I feel like the PST, XTR and Optika are in pretty much the same class and it comes down to specific features and personal preference. Is the MPO a measurable improvement over those?

I'm just trying to understand because I am coming from a SWFA SS 20x as my highest quality optic, and the only nicer optic I've played with was a PST2. I shoot against a lot of Khales, razors, NF I'm my local matches and do really well with the SS. The glass is just REALLY dim and I can't back off the power to find targets quicker. If I can ever scrape together the $ I'm really interested in the MPO.

I have not seen the 5-25x56 MPO. I will try to get my hands on one, but it may be in a bit, since my plate is really full right now.

I also have not seen the Arken, so I can not help you there.

I have extensive hands on time with both 3-15x44 and 5-25x50 PST Gen 2. I also have more time than most with 3-18x50 and 5-30x56 Meopta Optika 6.

I have obviously seen every variety of XTRII under the sun since it has been out for a while.

Between 5-25x50 PST Gen 2 and 5-30x56 Optika6, pick the one with the reticle you like. Both have tracked well in my experience. OPtika6 has a bit better resolution. PST Gen 2 has wider FOV on the same magnificaiton and a little better contrast. Optika6 performs a little better above 20x. PST's sweetspot is between 12x and 18x.

ILya

For a general purpose precision/crossover scope under $1k, I think it is between MPO 3-18x50, PST Gen 2 3-15x44 and Optika6 3-18x50. I happen to have all three, so I will probably do a piece on them side-by-side.

ILya
Plus opinions on the where the P4xi and the Dmr2 fall in line with that same bunch of comparisons?

I had a Arken EP4 6-24x50 and like everything about it except the reticle. I couldn’t get past that. Brownells MPO reticle looks a lot better and even though is $400 more than the Arken it has illumination were the Arken doesn’t and I felt that was worth the extra money. I’m looking forward to receiving this scope.

Reactions: wb00757 and Adam B
I just tested the flexy turret thing on a couple scopes I have. Basically anything where the Turret cap didn't damn near touch the scope body had flex when pushed. I did this on a NF 4-16, a USO B17, and a Vortex. I guess my main concern would be, is the flex just moving the turret cap, or does it actually shift POI?

Well, I found this on Nightforce home page. They obviously think the threads should be a tight fit.

"We machine the screw that controls elevation adjustments to an unbelievable 110 threads per inch. It is so precise that it must be mated to its receiver by hand. Why go to so much trouble? Because we consider backlash clearance of more than 1/30 the thickness of a human hair unacceptable."

Well, I found this on Nightforce home page. They obviously think the threads should be a tight fit.

"We machine the screw that controls elevation adjustments to an unbelievable 110 threads per inch. It is so precise that it must be mated to its receiver by hand. Why go to so much trouble? Because we consider backlash clearance of more than 1/30 the thickness of a human hair unacceptable."
Pull the cap off, and try to wobble the assembly itself. If that wobbles, i agree you have an issue. It may be the cap itself is out of tolerance.

I ordered the MPO 5-25X56 over the weekend and now the order is on hold. I emailed them today to see what's up. I figured I would have gotten a shipping email yesterday.

@Shooter McGavin
I hope it's just high demand! Keep us updated.

I can't believe how little new iformation is out there on these scopes.... I expected more updates and user reports to be rolling in by now.

Pull the cap off, and try to wobble the assembly itself. If that wobbles, i agree you have an issue. It may be the cap itself is out of tolerance.

@Shooter McGavin
I hope it's just high demand! Keep us updated.

I can't believe how little new iformation is out there on these scopes.... I expected more updates and user reports to be rolling in by now.
I just returned mine on Saturday, so one should be available soon. I really liked it, but had some unforseen expenses pop up, so I needed the refund. Great scope IMO.

-PST Gen2
-XTR2
-Optika 6
Or even the Arken?

Here are my scope steps based on budget:

Arken EP4, Athlon Ares ETR, Vortex AMG/S&B 5-25/Minox ZP5, then ZCO TT stuff. There are lots of options but I am personally limiting myself to this set, after numerous tries and errors.

Reactions: TankFrank

I did this and the cap was screwed firmly on. As I wrote in my first post, the screw end can be seen (through the objective lens) moving back and forth against the erector tube.

I have shipped the scope back but it has not arrived yet, so I can stil call and ask for a new scope instead of a refund.

As nobody else seems to have this problem I am tempted to try a new scope as there is nothing to loose on another try.

Has anybody else gotten their hands on an MPO?

I found out that I live only 11 miles from Kenzie's Optics in Acworth, Ga, so I paid them a visit this morning. I really wanted to see an Optika 6 but they were out of stock... I did however get to see a Crimson Trace 5-25x56 which is supposed to be very similar to the MPO.

The first thing that I noticed was that it is a tank. It felt a lot more solid than the PST 2's I've played with(although it's been a while...). I personally like the weight for my intended use. I have my match gun in an MDT LSS gen 1 that I got for free so I have had to do some crazy stuff to add weight. I did not like the turrets very much though. The clicks were not very distinct. About like my SWFA fixed 20x but further apart. There was also less resistance than I think there should be. They were almost too easy to turn. The illumination knob was very very stiff so I don't think you would accidentally move that while adjusting parallax. All in all it seemed quite nice. I cannot comment on the glass.

The reason I gave this information is if the MPO is really just a better spec'd CT with improved turrets then it will definitely be well worth the money. I wish more people were posting comparisons.....

Has anybody else gotten their hands on an MPO?

I found out that I live only 11 miles from Kenzie's Optics in Acworth, Ga, so I paid them a visit this morning. I really wanted to see an Optika 6 but they were out of stock... I did however get to see a Crimson Trace 5-25x56 which is supposed to be very similar to the MPO.

The first thing that I noticed was that it is a tank. It felt a lot more solid than the PST 2's I've played with(although it's been a while...). I personally like the weight for my intended use. I have my match gun in an MDT LSS gen 1 that I got for free so I have had to do some crazy stuff to add weight. I did not like the turrets very much though. The clicks were not very distinct. About like my SWFA fixed 20x but further apart. There was also less resistance than I think there should be. They were almost too easy to turn. The illumination knob was very very stiff so I don't think you would accidentally move that while adjusting parallax. All in all it seemed quite nice. I cannot comment on the glass.

The reason I gave this information is if the MPO is really just a better spec'd CT with improved turrets then it will definitely be well worth the money. I wish more people were posting comparisons.....
CT and Brownells source their products from the same Japan manufacturer.

CT and Brownells source their products from the same Japan manufacturer.
which, short of guaranteeing they're assembled by competent makers, doesn't mean a whole lot. Each "brander" can vary greatly on the specs of the internals they choose.

@Winny94 absolutely correct. Based off of Ilya's breif comparison of the 2, Brownells went with some better internal components in the turrets (and maybe erector?). It's all a guess to me... I don't have a clue what im talking about!

Well I just got my MPO today and I am happy so far. I need to take it out and put it through a box test. Also, shoot some with it. However, my first impressions are it's better that the PST Gen II. It comes with end caps similar to BC caps and has an integrated throw lever. The illuminated reticle has 6 adjustments and is very bright on #6. Also, since it comes with illumination and the Arken EP4 6-24 doesn't I would have to say if you want illumination it's a better deal than the Arken scope. I like the elevation an windage turret feel better than both the Arken and the PST. It's a little early to say, but if I like it I may just sell my PST Gen II and my Razor Gen II. Need to spend sometime with it before I get ahead of myself.

IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg