• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Brownells MPO VS. Optika 6 HELP!!!

Which is a better value/quality?

• Brownells MPO 5-25x56

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Meopta OPTIKA 6 5-30x56

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

wb00757

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Dallas, Georgia
I'M SORRY FOR ANOTHER ONE OF THESE POSTS!

I have been trying to ask questions and get comparisons in other threads but I feel like this might reach more people who might be able to help.
I have been shooting local PRS style matches with my home build 700 in .260 with a SWFA SS fixed 20x. I've been doing quite well but feel like the time is long past to upgrade the optic. With 2 small kids my shooting budget is quite limited but I have saved up enough for either an MPO 5-25x56 or an Optika 6 5-30x56. I'm waiting on a call back from Cameralandny, but not considering any "Doug is at SHOT deals" they might be able to hook me up with, I figure the price of the two is almost the same after considering the need for a sun shade and caps for the Optika. This is something I expect to last me for many years as I am the type of person who is very careful about their purchases and tend to be content with what I have.

I have very little experience with scopes any higher quality than my SWFA but did get my hands on a 3-18x56 Optika 6 the other day and I was extremely impressed. Both of these options check all of my boxes but information on them is very limited.... Especially the MPO.

I like the extra magnification of the Optika even though it is a non issue for a match rifle, but the slight tracking error discovered in bigjimfish's review gives me a little hesitation. I really don't have a preference on reticles, and probable couldn't tell much of a difference between the glass at this point.

I really want to know which optic is the highest value. I know this can be very subjective but where does each fall in line with other manufactures and offerings out there? Lowlight mentioned that the Arken EP4 could be equated to many $1500 scopes. Does the Optika give you what the $1500 scopes of last year offer??? Does the MPO fall more into the $2000 range? And if anybody has had the good fortune to handle both, what does one give up to the other? Which would get your money and why?

With the evolution of scopes and the increase in quality at lower price points I really want to stick with one of these newer offerings over something such as a PST gen II or XTR2 regardless of how good those might be.

Thank you for your input and help!
-Chip

I just got my MPO 5-25x56 today and I am really impressed. That said I haven't had a chance to do a box test on it. I will say I like the reticle on it more than the Arken EP4-24x50 I had. I was looking at Leupold Mark 5 and saw the price between non illuminated and illuminated is $500. So, if I was to choose between the Arken and the MPO right now it would be the MPO. Also, I like that the MPO has an integrated throw lever and comes with lens caps similar to Butler Creek all included in the price. Both the Arken and PST Gen II do not have those things. To my eye I like the glass on the MPO better than both the Arken and the PST gen II. The elevation and windage on the MPO has tactile clicks, but not as loud as the Arken or as stiff which I like because I would dial past the intend elevation spot I was dialing and would have to back it back down. The PST's elevation and windage are just mushy compared to the MPO. I feel the MPO is a real steal at the price. I haven't compared the MPO to my Razor Gen II, but I feel it's pretty close. With all of that said I am not sure why this scope hasn't seen more use here on the hide or any where else for that matter. There are only a few reviews on YouTube and no real world experience on the videos. It seems a shame, hopefully more people will start to use them
IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0992.jpg

Thanks @Shooter McGavin
I was trying to hold off on bugging you about the MPO until tomorrow! That helps me because I have played with a PST II (not super impressed). I like how it comes with the integrated throw lever too, but so does the Optika... I'm really leaning towards the MPO but I just cant pull the trigger!!!

Thanks @Shooter McGavin
I was trying to hold off on bugging you about the MPO until tomorrow! That helps me because I have played with a PST II (not super impressed). I like how it comes with the integrated throw lever too, but so does the Optika... I'm really leaning towards the MPO but I just cant pull the trigger!!!

I hear you on that. I wanted to see more about it to before I purchased it. However, I took a leap of faith since I could return it if it didn't work out. Also, ILya's review helped me because of his positive statements about the scope.

Yeah, Ilya's review really helped jump this scope to the top of my list along with Brownells really going above and beyond for me in the past. I would really like @koshkin to do the side by side review of the MPO and the Optika, plus a few others like he mentioned he might before I make my purchase, but I understand the man is busy and I don't want to wait too long. Please let us know what you think of the MPO beside the Razor when you have a chance. I don't expect the Razor to get blown out of the water or anything, but I am interested to hear since there is quite a large price difference.

Last edited:
EDIT*** I'm not knocking cameraland or anything, I have never seen a negative comment about them. I'm just being honest about my experience. Once I actually get in touch with them I will probably edit this post or just delete it.

Well I changed my mind and called up CameralandNY last week while @gr8fuldoug was at shot show to see what kind of deal they could work out for me on the Optika 6. I talked to a gentleman (didn't catch his name) who was going to check inventory and call me right back. Never heard back from him, but I figured he got side tracked. So I sent an email the next day through their site asking the same question. Still haven't gotten a response to that either...... I could have been a lot more persistent but other companies like Brownells have been much more interested in my business.

Brownells bent over backwards to try to replace a 60 year old Sinclair press that had that finally broke. The process took several days because of the circumstances but I cannot say enough about their communication with me and desire to make it right (which they didn't technically even have to!). When they couldn't find another one for me they offered to give me a $250 store credit to replace it with something else. I said that was too much and I didn't feel right, but I would be very happy with half of that so I could get a new Lee press. THAT kind of customer service makes me want to support Brownells again and buy an MPO.

I will try to get in touch with @gr8fuldoug again before I put my order in for the MPO. Im hoping this was a fluke.... Gotta wait until payday anyways.

Last edited:
Honestly either way you go I'm sure your going to be happy with your scope. I'm kinda in the same boat with choosing a new optic for a dmr build I'm working on.

One thing I would consider is brownells stands behind there stuff 100%. If you ever had an issue with the mpo, brownells would have a new one in your hands asap. Also if your just not in love with the mpo you can send it back to brownells for a full refund.

Not sure what the meopta procedure is if you happen to break the scope, if you have to send it to Europe for repairs? Something to at least consider..

Either way, either optic, I'm sure you will be happy with.
Good luck with your choice, if you do decide on optika6 give Doug a chance to get back in town and settled in. He is top notch and will bend over backwords to take care of you.

Reactions: gnochi and wb00757
Meopta has a large facility in Florida.

I compared MPO 3-18x50 with Optika6 3-18x50 side by side.

Optically, MPO is slightly better in low light. Very hard to tell any difference in good light.

MPO is a little more expensive, so whether it is worth the price difference is hard to say.

I do like both scopes.

ILya

At some point you just need to decide and pull the trigger

Threads like these remind me of an askhole by the name of Stafford on the brian anus forum...…..

Last edited:
Reactions: wb00757
Any update on the Optika6 / MPO comparison? I am very interested in the 3-18 versions for a gas gun.

The only question mark for me on the MPO is the reticle but for a gas gun it seems people like it.

I'll chime in since you haven't got an answer yet. No experience with the Optika but by all accounts it's a solid optic. It would really come down to your reticle preference. The MPO isn't going to be for everyone but I think it looks better in person than it does on paper. With Brownells return policy you could pick one up to peep and return it if it doesn't trip your trigger.

Thanks Donut. I saw ILya's recent review of the Optika6 on optics thoughts but am anxiously waiting the full MPO review before making a choice.

At this point I guess that is the final review, but his comment at the beginning made me think there might be more.

"One of these scopes is about to go onto my list of recommendations. Somewhat unusually, it is about to land there before I fully finish with my review, so I figured I should qualify that a little. " -koshkin

I guess there isn't much more to be said about it. I for one am thankful for the review because it helped me decide to get a MPO and I absolutely love it.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
At this point I guess that is the final review, but his comment at the beginning made me think there might be more.

"One of these scopes is about to go onto my list of recommendations. Somewhat unusually, it is about to land there before I fully finish with my review, so I figured I should qualify that a little. " -koshkin

I guess there isn't much more to be said about it. I for one am thankful for the review because it helped me decide to get a MPO and I absolutely love it.

I'll write something up eventually, but it takes me longer to write a proper review than to record a video, so I have been doing a lot more videos lately. The bulk of my writing has been for Guns and Ammo, so I simply ran out of time.

I like the 3-18x50 MPO a lot and as far as precision/tactical 50mm scopes go, for $1k, I think this is the best option out there unless you find something on closeout and discounted like P4Xi for $800.

ILya

How low does the prallax go on the MPO?

I can´t find that in the descriptions.

The 5-25 is marked 35yds but mine adjusts below that. I do t have an exact figure. I believe the 3-18 is marked 25yds

3-18x50 MPO goes down to 25 yards and the one I had was able to do so on 18x quite comfortably. Generally, I have seen version of this design that go down to 10 or 15 yards, so there is room there.

ILya

Well, I´m thorn now.

Would a 18x magnification be enough for a 22lr precision rifle, or should i go 25x-ish?

Well, I´m thorn now.

Would a 18x magnification be enough for a 22lr precision rifle, or should i go 25x-ish?

That's very personal. For NRL22 type stuff, I think 18x is enough. For rimfire benchrest, higher is better.

It really comes down to what your personal preferences are. I usually do not chase magnification because I found that for me it does not make a ton of difference beyond 15x or so. On the other hand, if you plan to be shooting targets that are really tiny fairly far away, that's a different ballgame.

ILya

Reactions: Jayjay1
Midway has a great deal on the Bushnell xrs 2 4.5-30x50 for $1078 that was a $1500 street price scope if you don’t end up liking the MPO

Reactions: Jayjay1
Midway has a great deal on the Bushnell xrs 2 4.5-30x50 for $1078 that was a $1500 street price scope if you don’t end up liking the MPO

Thanks for that info.

But unfortunately I can´t have that price, because I´m from Germany and this exact scope costs beyond 2,000 Euro over here, actually almost 2,500 Dollars.

:cry:

For me, the Brownell´s MPO (both magnifications) and the Meopta Optika6 5-30x56 are at the same price range, just under 1,000 Euro.

Only the Optika6 in 3-18x56 is about 25% cheaper, BUT, it has no reticle I like.
The ring in the MRAD 1 RD destroys the whole reticle in my opinion, because it takes away the hash marks in windage for 1.5 mils in both directions, that´s insane for a precision scope.

Last edited:
No Strike Eagle, MPO or Optika6 in Germany.

Over a friend I found an Optika6 5-30x56 FFP MRAD RD in Austria and pulled the trigger.
Should be here hopefully before the weekend.

I hope Koshkin gets a share from it.
;)

Reactions: wb00757
Got it yesterday, mounted it this morning, man, it is huge!
:D

Guys, can someone pls tell me which flip up covers fit?