• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Browning X Bolt vs. Tikka T3

rizla

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2011
New Zealand
I'm in the market for a .243 to go after deer and pigs in the forest. So I want something relatively maneuverable to get around trees as well as in and out of the land rover. Max range will be 200 yards, maybe 300. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Browning because it comes glass bedded and hand chambered. Plus, I believe, it comes in a little cheaper.

Am I on the right track? What are your views?

Re: Browning X Bolt vs. Tikka T3

Either is a great gun and will do what you want. The browning feels a little nicer to me but I thought they were quite a bit more than I have seen the Tikka T3's for

Get whichever one feels better to you and is in your price range

I shot the practical examination for the German hunting licence with a Tikka T3 loaner (property of the hunting school) and I own a X-Bolt in .308 Win. in stainless.

I really like the X-Bolt with the stainless steel and plastic stock during winter and rainy weather. Detachable magazine. Very precise also.

I think both rifles are good to go.

I was faced with the same decision, I went the Tikka T3 in Varmint Stainless. Love it to bits, run 55 grain federal's for foxes, 100 grain norma's for pigs and Kangaroo's for all the way up to 110 grainers for F class. It does everything I need.

I have seen nothing that will compare with an out of the box Tikka for accuracy and price. The Browning is way more expensive in my experience. YMMV.
smile.gif
My Tikka T3 in .223 will shoot under 1/2 moa with no mods.
grin.gif

Regards,
Paul

Thanks for all the info guys. I did get the prices wrong at the start (I was going from memory) the Browning is more expensive. The Tikka is sounding like the way to go. I really love the look of the Super Varmint.
Gorax: it sounds like you're able to shoot just about any bullet through it! I wouldn't have thought the 1-10 twist could deal with such a variation in bullet length.
Bolt fluter: that sounds far more accurate than I was expecting!! I'm surprised people aren't raving about the X Bolt's accuracy given it's glass bedded and hand chambered. Do you know anything about the manufacturing process of the Tikka; do they do anything like that?

+1 on the Tikka, when you add it all up, they are a tough act to follow out of the box. Blows me away too, when you see the "recoil lug" and the way it fits in the action/stock.

From my understanding the Tikka series is built at the Sako plant. They know a thing or two about building accurate rifles. The quality of the machining is very evident.
smile.gif

Regards,
Paul

Reactions: Jowvel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rizla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gorax: it sounds like you're able to shoot just about any bullet through it! I wouldn't have thought the 1-10 twist could deal with such a variation in bullet length.</div></div>

I can't tell you how amazed I am with this rifle, for a factory rifle with plastic stock, it still blows me away every time I use it.

As for accuracy the federal 55 grain nosler's I only use to about 200-250m maximum. Very rare for me to see a fox past that in 1' deep grass.

The gun LOVES the norma 100 grainers. They are the cheapest .243 ammo I can buy in OZ and they shoot under 1/2 MOA all day long. I have a 600m target that measured 0.48MOA. More than good enough to take a Roo or Pig head off at 500-600m
smile.gif

I can't tell you what its like hunting past those distances as I don't have access to a property where I can hunt longer distances than that.

If you've ever seen Browning's "glass bedding", you'd realize what a joke their rifles are. They are fudd guns. Google a pic of it sometime and that should be enough to make you choose the Tikka.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gorax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rizla said:
Gorax:
The gun LOVES the norma 100 grainers. They are the cheapest .243 ammo I can buy in OZ and they shoot under 1/2 MOA all day long. I have a 600m target that measured 0.48MOA. More than good enough to take a Roo or Pig head off at 500-600m
smile.gif
. </div></div>

That sounds awesome! Better than I would have ever expected from a factory rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you've ever seen Browning's "glass bedding", you'd realize what a joke their rifles are. They are fudd guns. Google a pic of it sometime and that should be enough to make you choose the Tikka. </div></div>

haha! I hadn't thought to check out the quality. But you're right, it doesn't look so great. I'd say I'm just about sold on the Tikka now. Can't wait to get it.

I've got a stainless x-bolt in 243. It's a great gun and there are some features that fit my likes well with the x-bolt.

I have not owned a tikka but I have certainly not heard any negatives from those who have.

I think you pay a premium for the browning name that doesn't hold when it comes to resale. Go with the tikka and use the save money to put towards some nice glass.