• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Brute of a bear I shot 8-22-13

Jim the Plumber

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
My buddy and I walking into his hunting spot, I didn't even get to the dug out and Ron spotted this guy at 220 yards and meandering away.
I went prone with my Rbros built 338 Lapua loaded with 300 grain Sierra Match kings over 100 grains of 872 fired off with a Fed215.
The down hill shot presented was a raking shot as he was going away. I slipped the bullet in behind his left ribs, and the bullet coursed up into the lungs and heart, lodging in the far side ribs under the right shoulder. I got lucky and missed all the guts.
He rolled over and tried to run down hill only to pile up in about 20 yards.

Attachments

• droid -3 038.jpg
    droid -3 038.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 19
  • droid -3 047.jpg
    droid -3 047.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 23
Congratulations. Nice Bear, I will be heading to Idaho this week 8-30 , and hope to be so blessed.

Nice bear! Any idea what he weighed/squares? I was up in the woods, high up, last weekend. Found lots of berries but no bear sign. Obviously the wrong place.
Did you keep the wiener bone?

1911fan

Last edited:
I'm out of Idaho . We have seen more bears this year than I have seen in the last 10 . Lots of big ones too . That is a nice bear ! One of my buddies drew a spot and stalk tag in a hard to get unit . As soon as his is down we will start on the rest . Should be an awesome year for bears !

Great looking bear Jim. I'm not good at judging them, but he looks well over 300 to me. Enjoy the table fare.

Well done Jim!! What a trophy, are you guys required to take the meat on a fall bear?
That 338 did the job fer sure!

Congrats! That is a pretty nice bear. You definitely were not under gunned!

For those of you interested in finding good bear hunting country, I asked Jim where he was when he shot this bear. It's a pretty area. He told me that it's located between Seattle and Minnesota, and somewhat above sea level.
Good Luck!

1911fan

...no shit, that's what he said.

A friend of mine who shoots bear in B.C. tells me that if they are eating berries, the meat is excellent. If they have been eating salmon, dead animals, or garbage, they taste terrible. He brings a small frying pan with him and cooks some on the spot. If it tastes like seagulls, he leaves the meat (where legal).

s

Congrats, JTP
Do you have good luck with the 872 when you stretch the legs on your Lapua?