• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bubble level in front of turret?

I like my bubble out as far away from my eye as I can get it.
i can look at it with my other good eye. Lol

Reactions: ceruleanblue
NP :)

Attachments

• 67079793_582902392116949_73878720300974080_n.jpg
    67079793_582902392116949_73878720300974080_n.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 14682146_184297305310795_7811773371931401095_o.jpg
    14682146_184297305310795_7811773371931401095_o.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 14691938_183295572077635_5555776178505833627_o.jpg
    14691938_183295572077635_5555776178505833627_o.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 27624601_328655720874952_5530164369657999687_o.jpg
    27624601_328655720874952_5530164369657999687_o.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 27797491_328654387541752_3481745403236853449_o.jpg
    27797491_328654387541752_3481745403236853449_o.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 83
I found the level helps with my body alignment
Since my shoulder op, I've struggled to be aware of my posture.
Filmed myself prone, was surprised how kaka my positioning was, and the skew on my rifle.
Since the bubble level went on, it's helped me immensely.
There are varying opinions, but it works for me.👍

Friends

I have all my scopes with the bubble behind the turret on the left-hand side. Now I've upgraded to a Vortex bubble that is unfortunately more "massive" in its frame. This prevents me from seeing and adjusting the parallax knob on the left side of the turret easily. I'm thinking of moving the bubble in front of the turret. What do you all think? Any advice or cons to doing so?

As always, thanks amigos,

Migs
Wheeler make rings with a fold up level on the rear ring check them out. the rings screw together at an angle flat on one side and bubble folds down. Stiener has level in the middle bottom of rings. there are alternatives out there.

I always shot without a level, but then i bought one and tried it. I realised that it isnt so important to have it perfect plumb, but its important to repeat where you put the bubble each time, that is a tool to increase repeatability. As much as i would love to lie to myself and say i dont need that, it makes me a better shooter when used properly.
Texasflyer, you are correct in that the bubble promotes consistency........CONSISTENCY IS KING!!! Someone who trash talks levels doesn't appreciate the details in shooting. Yeah, they may get hits, but not consistently. They're the ones that can shoot the left eye out of a darting gnat at a 1000yds in a full value hurricane blow with a .22 Short derringer. Don't care who you are, rifle cant kills consistency. Laws of physics are immutable. Even after a dozen beers, they still apply....maybe, especially then. Bryon Litz of Applied Ballistics fame....yeah, he is a rocket engineer......confirms that most individuals in the field/range struggle discerning vertical closer than about 3 degrees....with great variability in their "guesses.". Relying on presumed vertical references is also a killer. Power poles, barns, trees, fence posts are great optical illusions to the vertical. One can lead a horse to water, but can never make it drink.

Check out the electronic SendIt level offered at Brownells. At about $230, one might initially think it's too expensive compared to bubble levels, but really not even a rounding error compared to what we spend on our shooting addiction. SendIt is really a feature filled item. Easily moved between rifles, makes it less expensive than several bubble levels for all one's rifles. Can be used vertical or horizontal orientation mounted from the picatinny rail. Two each red and blue lights indicate off plumb; green light indicates level....Send It.!!! As I recall, it provides five sensitivity settings down to 0.1 degree. No having to judge if a bubble is centered or touching the reference line. Easy peasy to sense green light = Send It!!! in peripheral vision. Try one, you won't go back to the old carpenter level technology. ....and, your shooting consistency and precision will greatly improve. You will find the SendIt to be one of the best expenditures you've made in long range shooting. After expending all the dollars and effort to accurately shoot at long range, why risk it all by cheaping out on eliminating rifle cant. Penny wise; pound foolish. But, there's always one.....usually several....in every crowd.

Last edited:
When I load my bipod, my shoulder pocket moves my rifle stock and reticle to the left about 15 degrees. Can I level my scope AFTER I settle in and load my bipod, so my rifle is already canted a bit left to eliminate the reticle cant without affecting POI?
Yes, that is what I do with my rifles that don’t have adjustable cant.

If you release any product that is junk I don’t want the better version of that that isn’t. People that give a shit about the reputation wouldn’t ever release something so shitty to begin with whether it was cheap or not.
Have you by the way writed to Tyler at MKMachining about that?
I bet my ass off, that they will replace that faulty level to you, with the right one that works.
So tell me that first, and then say it is der shiet:poop:

Someone who trash talks levels doesn't appreciate the details in shooting. Yeah, they may get hits, but not consistently.

One can lead a horse to water, but can never make it drink.

But, there's always one.....usually several....in every crowd.

Someone tag Frank so he's aware he's not consistent or a good shooter. Only lucky.. Please just let me exit the room.

On a serious note why does every conversation always end with this debate. If you have a bubble cool. If you dont have a bubble cool. Use what tickles your pickle and move on. This shit doesn't add to any conversation.

Several of my levels are mounted in front of the turrets. I can see them just fine while positioned behind the scope. I have the Vortex on a SB PM II and it is large enough to clear the turrets.

First off, if you don't rock a level, fuck yeah, do you, fuck levels... that said, I kind of think of it like this:

You on your best day, more than likely won't out-shoot you on your best day + more fps (same exact shooter with a flatter trajectory, and more wind-averse round). To me, this is kind of the same deal with the level: of course we train so we don't need it, but is you without a level better than you with one?

We all can probably agree that gravity is gravity, and really one of the only constants we always have to work with; so then, there shouldn't be any argument about the fact that our dope is only 100% correct if one's rifle isn't canted. So, as a faction that sweats single digits in SD numbers, spend hours doing the most tedious shit to make sick ammo, and goes over our dope like it's potentially scripture... utilizing an aid to keep one honest as far as not canting one's rifle doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I mean, we don't just guess the speed of our ammo, we use a chrono.

Part of the problem I bet is that most of the bubble levels suck ass and are brutally annoying to mount perfectly, even most of the better/more$$$ ones kind of suck...

Reactions: BoltRunner
Have you by the way writed to Tyler at MKMachining about that?
I bet my ass off, that they will replace that faulty level to you, with the right one that works.
So tell me that first, and then say it is der shiet:poop:
Called left a voicemail and hit him up on Instagram. Junk

The only thing I care about is if it allows me to shoot better.

The answer is yes;

Reactions: rottenruger
Friends

I have all my scopes with the bubble behind the turret on the left-hand side. Now I've upgraded to a Vortex bubble that is unfortunately more "massive" in its frame. This prevents me from seeing and adjusting the parallax knob on the left side of the turret easily. I'm thinking of moving the bubble in front of the turret. What do you all think? Any advice or cons to doing so?

As always, thanks amigos,

Migs
My levels are all in front of the turrets and suite me fine, but I've never tried them behind the turret so don't know if I'm a qualified comment. I learned to keep both eyes open with one eye on the level and one in the glass, but as I've aged I've reverted to the one-eye squint through the glass.

Answer to OP - Yes in front of turret as far as possible for my aging eyes. Upper left side for scope mounted (I'm a righty).

My favorite level is very expensive, but the chassis is included.
Honestly I thought it was a bit gimmicky at first but damn if it isn't in the perfect spot.
I can see it with either eye while in the scope. Same applies to lefty shooters since it pops out either side & or stows flush when you don't need it.

I'm pretty Green to precision rifle; so for me anyhow, levels have a utility. Shot my first PRS match last weekend & used the level on 3 of 8 stages. 2 were at 700 with position changes. The other was my first time shooting off a tripod & there where 2 targets with about a 100y swing between them, 1 shot move back and fourth. The tripod was set up with the head about 5- 7 degrees out of level & I shot with the ball head just tensioned, didn't lock it, so it really helped me on that stage in particular. Even on the tripod stage I wasn't checking the level every shot. Used it at the start 1st target to get frame of reference as to what level looks like through the scope, then took a quick glance at it about 2/3rds the way through the string second/far target to make sure I wasn't out to lunch.

Eye in the scope view.
IMG_6205.jpg

Off eye view.
IMG_6206.jpg

Ted engineered the hell out of this.........Kudos to ARC.
IMG_6207.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with chassis mounted and rail mounted levels is sometimes they are not level to the scope when scope is level. With a scope mounted you can make sure everything is level on the rifle and then mount the level on the scope and know it’s on. Seen too many rail mounted being off due to machining tolerances. All need to be checked. Don’t assume it’s level.

Does that bubble level come in Mils or Moa?
Actually, a bubble is very "rough" in its presentation of "levelness." I would create a weighted needle type indicator that would be far more accurate.
^ he’s right you know...
Leveling the scope bubble is a task to be done carefully. Level the rifle, level the scope, level the bubble. And use an accurate needle type device like I posted earlier at each stage of the "build"

I like them, they definitely help that last little bit that you can't see or feel. If nothing else it helps with repeatability, especially if you set yours up to where the bubble is on the edge of breaking for more legibly consistent position.

I've seen this a few times around here from time to time: what do you mean?

Out past ~400 yards, too much cant in the rifle can put one off target. Even if it's steel hanging off a strap, or a target on a post, lining up the vertical reticle line as a coarse adjustment, that just gets coarser and coarser as distance increases. Using the horizon isn't any better (usually worse).

I don't get it? How do you get by without a level on small targets at distance, like a 1moa (~5-6") target at say 500 yards?

I feel like not using a level would mean missing a lot of first-round impacts that otherwise could've been made, or would introduce noise into correcting wind calls.

For the OP: I prefer the level out in front of the turret and further away from my eye, I shoot both eyes open and I think having it further away makes it easier to monitor the level just by switching my focus. I actually hate when the level is closer to the back of the scope.

I listed the two MKM levels I have (30 and 34mm) in the PX --they're well made and apparently a lot of people do use 'em even if they're not my cup of tea. I'd prefer to have a cosine indicator there myself. I won't knock anyone for using 'em though, to each his own.

Called left a voicemail and hit him up on Instagram. Junk
Well hello sir, my personal cell is 573-220-9141. I have 40+ instagram messages from the weekend, that many at least on facebook, about 20 here on the 'Hide, and a few hundred emails to go through. My customer service lady stays quite busy on the phone nearly all day, with calls coming in often while she's currently on the line. Business hours 9-5 central, I try and answer outside of hours when I can but I also try to have a life.

Please email [email protected], contact my personal cell, call the shop again, or send me a message here. I'm more than happy to take care of you, and I expect my $20 polymer levels to work just as good as my $60 billet ones, and I expect my $60 billet ones to work just as good as $150 billet ones.

I stand by everything 100%, just need to get in touch.