• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bubble Level?

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Can anybody recommend a couple good bubble level's? i have been looking around and all the ones i see (viper vortex, b-square, various others) dont seem to have good reviews. I was wondering if some people that have used them could point me in the right direction. thanks.

Re: Bubble Level?

the vortex one is pretty nice ,very big ,i like it.you want the side kind , the type that mount directly over the scope are hard to see , like the NF one.

Barfly is right on the money. For a scope-mounted level it's hard to beat the price, size, and simplicity of the Holland and for rail-mount the US Optics is awesome.

I've got two or three US Optics levels for rails. They're excellent.

I like the vortex one because it mounts directly to the scope, and if you have to move your scope to to different rifle, it makes mounting it level a lot easier.

I also have a US optics rail mounted bubble level.

I may be the only one to say this, but I think I like my cheaper Vortex one better. Given, my vortex bubble level tube came loose, but I bonded it with better glue and it works great. With the US optics rail mounted bubble level, it flips out on a hinge, and I've found that there is some "give" or movement because of this. It is slight, but with a scope mounted on there isn't any movement.

The best one I've ever used, and the only one I've ever trusted 100% to be level, is the one integrated into my Spuhr mount.

I have the Vortex on my scope. But I am just a low speed, high drag old man.
wink.gif

I just got the cheap $13 one from Brownells to play with...first level...and I don't think it is working good. Trying to get it level with my reticle is a royal PITA...seems to me that the damn thing has to be wrong because my eye and my gut are telling me the rifle/reticle are GTG, but the bubble says it's not at all...way off.

I'm going to play with it more, but may end up trying a different one to compare.

STI,

I've only used the rail mounted type. I understand the argument for scope changes, but with the rail kind, I could make an argument for the ability to use the level on different rifles, which seems to be more practical than scope changes. One level, especially if you pay the price of a US optic, could be used for a variety of rifles. With the US optic, you never have to break the cheek weld or even move your head much to utilize. I would be interested in reviews on the B-Square. They seem to be inexpensive. I hope this helps and not confuses.

Another US Optics rail mounted level user here. They are not cheap but they work. Holland and Vortex are cheaper and work well too.

I use the B-square and one from NF they all seem to do what you have them for but like said earlier the NF one mounts to the scope so it's easy to re level it on another rifle or on the same rifle if you have to rebarrel or upgrade.

Plumb? People are trying to mount these vertical?

A little construction humor!

Level is horizontal
wink.gif

I checked them before I mounted them with one of my Stabila levels, they were all good. For $11.00 if one breaks, I won't burst into tears!

As to how they mount to the rail, that is a good point but also one easy to check.

'I may be the only one to say this, but I think I like my cheaper Vortex one better. Given, my vortex bubble level tube came loose, but I bonded it with better glue and it works great. With the US optics rail mounted bubble level, it flips out on a hinge, and I've found that there is some "give" or movement because of this. It is slight, but with a scope mounted on there isn't any movement'

Mine done the same thing straight out of the box.I put a little Devcon o it and it is good to go now.I would definately pick one you don`t have to move your head too see.And the Vortex and rail mount ones are will do the job.

Nothing wrong with the vial. It reads fine. When you put it on the rail and snug it up it lifts up on the screw end. Of course many will say just spin the scope till the retical is plumb with the level reading horizontal but then the scope will not be centered over the bore.

+1 for Flatline Ops. I have tried one other brand and was disappointed to say the least.

Can someone explain what the bubble level does for the shooter? I can understand the cosine indicator and how angle effects pointo of impact. But the bubble level just doesn't seem neccessary. There are very few level surfaces in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone explain what the bubble level does for the shooter? </div></div>

Adjusting elevation is silly if you are not actually moving the reticle 'up.'
wink.gif

+1 for the US Optics rail mounted level. A little pricey compared to others but it does have the METAL screw on/off cover making it a little bit more robust for transport. A quick look from your non-dominant eye lets you know if you're level or not. The scope mounted levels make you come off target to see the bubble.

If you're not level when you dial up, then you just dialed in some windage (and less elevation than you thought, too).

Another vote for the Holland - they're well made, work, and look pretty slick on the gun.

The Vortex is well made and it works, but it's kind of ugly (IMHO) - like a Nissan Cube.

USO had some issues a couple of years ago with their fold-out levels but have since resolved the problem and (at least used to) offer a free fix with excellent customer service and quick turn around. I'd vote for them too.

I had a b square and the internals slid out and broke. I had since gone to a USO level and haven't looked back.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for the Holland - they're well made, work, and look pretty slick on the gun.

The Vortex is well made and it works, but it's kind of ugly (IMHO) - like a Nissan Cube.

USO had some issues a couple of years ago with their fold-out levels but have since resolved the problem and (at least used to) offer a free fix with excellent customer service and quick turn around. I'd vote for them too.</div></div>

FYI, the 'old' style used a knurled tension screw whereas the 'new' style uses internal detents to keep the level stowed or deployed.