• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Buddy's PA CLEO refusing to sign for civilians?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
My buddy said the Luzurne County Sheriff told him that he "believes that civilians should not be able to own silencers" when he asked about getting CLEO signoff for a suppressor.

Is that against any law or rules? He's now looking into the trust route which is better anyway, but still...

Can they do that based on their belief?

Re: Buddy's PA CLEO refusing to sign for civilians?

The county Sheriff here was sued for not signing for one. Then the guy went to the state's attorney and got it signed anyway. If the Sheriff won't sign it, I would look into the states attorney.

They don't technically need a reason although it has always stuck in my craw when CLEOs in this neck of the woods have refused for like "sentiments" regarding civilian ownership of NFA-governed/Class III firearms and suppressors. Simply put, it is within their discretion (no matter how @#$%ing stupidly said discretion may be exercised) to refuse to sign. That is why many (arguably most) folks find themselves going the trust route and negating the whole CLEO signature bull$#!T from the get-go.

If not the County Sheriff, try the prosecuting attorney (or equivalent position) in the appropriate jurisdiction instead. Personally, I'd just skip the signature requirement altogether and go straight for a the trust agreement. Makes life considerably less complicated albeit costly at least on the front end to get one done by a competent attorney.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdh4376</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just do it on a trust ,and dont look back. </div></div>

^^^ This, this, and more this ^^^

Can anyone recommend an NFA attorney, or at least an attorney that did their trust CORRECTLY, in Northeast PA?

That is typical of Luzerne and many other PA counties. My buddy lives in that county and went Trust for his NFA stuff. And now the CLEO has no idea of what might be in their county.

The contact below is in PA and highly recommended...

Joshua Prince, Esq.- www.PrinceLaw.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdh4376</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just do it on a trust ,and dont look back. </div></div>

+1 on this. Most LEO don't have a clue about NFA items. A trust would solve any issues, no need to take ignorant people to court and waste even more time/money.

You can also try your area's prosecutor, that's the route I took
from the form 4:
a State or local district attorney or prosecutor having jurisdiction in the transferee's area of residence

Ditto on that. There are dozens of reasons to use a trust. The "only" downside is cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy said the Luzurne County Sheriff told him that he "believes that civilians should not be able to own silencers" when he asked about getting CLEO signoff for a suppressor.

Is that against any law or rules? He's now looking into the trust route which is better anyway, but still...

Can they do that based on their belief? </div></div>

This unfortunately is not uncommon nor exclusive to Pa. In NC we have some county sheriff's who will sign while the next county over will not for political reasons. I used Arsenal Gun Trust and was quite pleased with the service and price. They can do a trust in Pa.

My local Class III dealer won't even deal with trusts, CLEO sign off only for NFA items going through his shop. I was a little disappointed by this truthfully but it's not set in stone that I'm getting any Class III anyway or from him. I just thought it was odd that he would refuse going that route...he also blames trusts as the main reason waits are up to 6 months now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My local Class III dealer won't even deal with trusts, CLEO sign off only for NFA items going through his shop. I was a little disappointed by this truthfully but it's not set in stone that I'm getting any Class III anyway or from him. I just thought it was odd that he would refuse going that route...he also blames trusts as the main reason waits are up to 6 months now. </div></div>

Find another dealer, no reason NOT to accept trusts. I'd gladly tell him to pound sand as I walked out the door...

Yea as mentioned by others its crazy how many leo's dont even know cans,mg's,sbr/sbs are legal.

In PA. you can have your Local Police Chief sign off, if he doesn't you can try the County Sheriff. Many Local Police Chief's will do this especially if they know you. We've had many Form 4's signed off that way and usually have the customer try the Chief first unless we know he won't sign.

Prince does come highly recommended. He's local to me as well.

I have a Trust since I live in Montgomery Co and it's a PITA to get CLEO signoff.

There was talk of the CLEO requirement going away, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bottom line is that they are really certifying that they know of no reason (i.e., local law, etc) that you cannot own a suppressor. Should not be using it as a platform to further their personal stance on whether you should or should not be able to buy them. That's not up to them to decide, its up to the state and the feds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone recommend an NFA attorney, or at least an attorney that did their trust CORRECTLY, in Northeast PA? </div></div>

I used guntrustlawyer.com. They have offices all over the states, are always there when you have a question, and give you legal backup incase anything comes up with the trust.

I used GunTrustLawyer.com too Had the trust in less than 5 days after payment. I got the advanced trust. Now all my Non NFA guns are included in it too.

I used GunTrustLawyer.com too Had the trust in less than 5 days after payment. I got the advanced trust. Now all my Non NFA guns are included in it too.

I simply did not want to do the extra dickin around or the extra waiting time for LEO to sign off, finger print and photos. The money i spent on a trust was worth the time and headache saved. It also seems like it will be less headaches down the road.