• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Build! (pic heavy)

adm09_003

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Canton, Texas
I’ve started my budget build due to the fact i love guns but my wife and i are expecting triplets and she can’t work due to the pregnancy. So here is my budget build and let’s see yours!! I bought a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in the ADL version for 460$ New. I first then put a bi-pod on it.
photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

It came with the cheap scope but i soon replaced it with the Bushnell 3200 10x40 tactical mil dot $199. I didn’t see needing higher magnification due to i shoot 1000 yards all the time with my issued M24 SWS. I also replaced the trigger with a Timney and set it down to 1.5-2.0 pounds (I don’t have a gauge to measure it) $125. My new stock is coming in. I ordered a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock which i heard only good things for the price $185. Here is a pic of what it should look like once the stock comes in...
sniperstock2.jpg

Once it comes in i am going to pillar and skim bed the stock just for re-enforcements!! I'm really excited to see how it will work out! So total so far i have spent $460(Rifle)+$125(Trigger)+$199(Scope)+$185(Stock)+$50(bi-pod)=$1019 and I’m shooting just under 1 MOA now without the new stock and bedding job I’m going to do in the upcoming weeks! Also that’s with factory loads so when i start to reload it should only get better! So let’s see yours!!!

Re: Budget Build! (pic heavy)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adm09_003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess im the only one on a budget...lol </div></div>Not at all, I think it is a great choice to get started with. Everything you picked is perfectly functional and over time you can keep upgrading. Getting the action trued at some point, a match grade barrel and what ever else you want.

It weird you just mentioned it, but i just watched a how to on trueing an action. I will at some point and probably put a 5R barrel. But i thought this was a good place to start!

That is a fine rifle, and I'm sure it will serve you well. I <span style="font-weight: bold"> really </span> dont want to come across as an ass, but I don't think that what you have there is a "built" rifle. Not that there is anything wrong with that, there are many fine rifles that are stamped out by the hundreds or thousands. But I think when people speak of a custom build they are referring to a gun that has had some machine work, trued action,rebarreled,tuned,ect. I believe there was a thread on here not too long ago about the very subject {difference between a build and accessories}.
I certainly do not mean to take anything away from your rifle, but we compare apples to apples and oranges to ect.ect.
Congratulations on both a fine rifle, and a growing family, and thank you sir for your service to our country.

FWIW there is an ecobuild thread in my sig
wink.gif

Oh i understand the custom guns. But when i think build i think putting all the parts together. I bought the rifle for the base action and the barrel being a heavy contoured barrel (there’s my start), then i put on a trigger mechanism, added the scope, a stock, and bipod. There is nothing custom about this gun but i did build it (besides the action and the barrel). But thank you

Glad to see they're are other guys on a budget too. Some of the products and prices that are discussed on this forum make my ass pucker! I am also on a budget, but I have plans on taking my time and adding high quality add ons as I can afford them. Congratulations on you rifle.

Triplets huh? Well congrats and good luck Sir!! We're doin' the whole twin thing (2.5yr old boys) couldn't imagine another one in the mix.

SAV308.jpg

The Falcon is doomed... Have a new SWFA 5-20 coming to take its place
smile.gif

Adm09-003 that is nice piece. I would like to hear how you like that stock set up when you get it in. As for my budget rifle, is a 700p factory dbm with a boush & Lomb tactical 10x. It still has the factory trigger but it has been worked over. I'm not where I can send picks but it is under a 1/2 moa rifle and I have around $1,400 in it. I have had this rifle for years and love it. I am 180 out from you right now. I already have my three kids and they are at shooting ages. I am finically able to have a custom build I have been wanting for a long time.

Adm, I'm in the same boat as you. I do own several other rifles, but have been wanting to build a new one. Well like you we just found out we are expecting, "Not triplets mind you", but still the fun money just left. So I bought a new Savage 10 and am building her up piece by piece. She is shooting sub moa at 100 right now, so I can't wait to see when she's all done. Sorry for the crappy picture but here is my model 10 $700, Millett 4X16 TRS-1 $300, bipod and am awaiting a new stock.
1109dd4e.jpg

I started out pretty much the same way, and have just upgraded slowly as funds became available.

The way I looked at it, I was able to get in cheap & start shooting right away rather than waiting forever to just buy a rifle. Although now the cheapest thing on my rifle is the barreled action...lol

Good luck with those triplets, you're gonna be a busy dad.

Damn, triplets?! Better make room in the budget for some child care so you can actually go and shoot.
grin.gif

I picked up a SPS lefty 308 for around $550, HS stock $300 burris mounts $40, forgot the name of the base $100, and and 4.5 X20 leupold scope I had in the save (can off a kimber 22 I bought years ago.) Figure I have have about a grand in the rifle. Luckly, I load my own and after working up several loads with different powers.... wa-laaa 1/2 groupings.

I could be happier. I'll try to post some pictures, but it's nothing you have seen many times over.

Oh, It waiting either a PST or the new SS scope. which ever ships first.

Thanks,
Jeff

rezmedic i see all your pics have the Choate stocks! Thats what i ordered. Do you like them? Did you see any improvement after installation? I was suppose to get mine in today but i realized that i ordered the wrong one so i had them get it returned to sender so they can ship me the right one! I ordered the long action for the Rem 700 instead of needing the Short action. I guess i was thinking about my M24 at work...but let me know on your take about them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adm09_003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jea1976 post some pics! I wanted to see some of the members builds on a budget! </div></div>

As soon as I receive the rifle and add stuff to it, I will post some pics!

Did see some better groups after the stock changes. Yes I like them have 3 the Sniper, Varmint, and the Center feed. The heaviest is the sniper at 6 plus pounds and the other fall in there at around 4. For me they are comfortable when shooting. They definitely are not made for carrying a long would tire you butt out way before you got where you were going.

I hear ya on the budge build. I have been slowly building my rifle up over the last 3 years or so. Got a Stockade PDT, Bush 10x tac, Loopy rings, EGW base, Rock Creek BP. All I got left really is to blueprint the action and re-barrel it, but that is not a necessity. It started out as an ADL in 30-06. I plan to inlet the stock myself and switch it over to BDL.

The kids tend to slow things up and shift priorities. My son turns 2 in august and my wife lost her job making minimum wage 2 weeks ago. But with each setback brings change and for the good. She is getting a job now that will be paying good. So, hopefully things will get back to normal.

I cant wait to put on my stock and take it out to the range! I know its going to be hard with triplets but we will manage!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adm09_003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess im the only one on a budget...lol </div></div>

LOL, I'm sure that couldn't be further from the truth. I have 5 little shooters here and know exactly where you are coming from!

I like the Ultimate Sniper Stock, I just wish it was better made and I dont like the front end.

Great rifle.

I have something similar to yours and similar budget, but I got a DBM and bc stock. And no heavy barrel...

On mother forum they called it a cheap POS and that I'd never shoot 1000 yards with it, and compared it to his custom .260. Pissed me the he'll off.

That stock you have has won some championships, I think you'll do well with it. Lt us know how it shoots.

You can have the best rifle in the world, but if u can't shoot for shit.... Ya know?

Not sure where you "only heard good things" about a stock many refer to as "the Plaster disaster" (after its creator, Maj. John Plaster). It is a love/hate thing, and has a cult following, but is not synonymous with quality IMHO. Don't feel bad though, you're not the first guy that Choate has hoodwinked on that stock. There are other stocks in the same boat: Hogue, ATI, etc. so watch out for them. These are often referred to as "Tupperware" due to the plasticy construction, which tends to lead to sub par performance (fore-ends flexing/touching the barrel, etc.)...

I think you've done good with choosing a starting platform, my suggestion would be to sell the choate online and upgrade to something like a bell & carlson. The price point isn't a whole lot different, but the quality is. Stocky's has the B&C "m40" style for a shade over $200, and that stock has been met with a lot of praise from HIDE members and others. Or look for an HS Precision takeoff in our classified section (that m24 you use at work is in an HS, by the way).

Please don't take the criticism wrong, most of us mean it to be constructive. I built my "light tac" .30-06 exactly the same way you are building this one, a bit @ a time as I could afford it back then. It's sitting in an HS stock right now, and it's still a hammer to this day. If I was hunting to stay alive, that would be the one I had slung.

Budget build

I bought a package from Gander Mountain Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 cal, Scope 4x12 Bushnell, a sling and Plano rifle case for $600.00. (My budget of $600.00 went to hell when I join this site.)

Then I started to upgrade.

Rifle package $600.00

Harris Bi-pod 9x13 $100.00

New Stock $461.00
Bell and Carlson Medalist M40 Varmint/Tactical Rifle Stock Black

4-16x50 Millet TRS-1 scope $320.00

Weaver 20 MOA base and 6 hole Tactical Rings $65.00

Talon sling 22.00

Rifle case and mat NcStar $85.00

The only things I have left to do is

AZ Bolt Handle $100.00

Timney 40X 1-1/2 to 4 lb Trigger. $125.00

Total with upgrades. $1,878.00

I still have the 4-12 Bushnell scope. I put it on a .270 ADL I bought to go hunting with this fall.
I put the sling on my .22 semi auto.
I will use the case to carry my rifle to the Range when I'm not going to shoot prone.
I still have the stock. If I decide to sell or trade for an upgraded rifle. I can pull all my upgrades off and use them on the new rifle. I can return it to the original configuration to sell or trade .

When I finish in about a month I'll get one of the Grand kids to take some pictures and post them for me

-Don

I did something similar a couple years ago. I bought a 20" FN PBR XP barreled action from CDNN when they first came out for $399. It came with a Near base on it. I then bought a McMillan HTG from McMillans bargain bin, I want to say I paid like $350-400 for it. I had Tom Meridith block bed it and a seekins front bipod rail for something like $250 or so. So just a little over 1k for a sweet little shootin stick, that actually turned out to be quite the hammer. Easily 5 shots under a MOA, probably closer to somewhere between .5-.75. I am super happy with the way it turned out.

That same stock worked out well for rusell simmonds

http://www.google.com/search?q=ruse...gc.r_pw.&fp=d906a5888a541a69&biw=980&bih=1190

I have the b&c a2 and I think it's a great stock, and was recommended by many here. However on other forums, it was called a piece of shit and that I wasted my money on it

Here is the qoute actually

I'm not hip on AL in general, am dubious of B&C's inletting, and their construction is only passable. For a man who plans on spending his weekends awash in a sea of bullets, micrometers, and laboratory grade optical measuring instruments, I find it odd that the obvious stock/action/bedding "gaps" haven't left you with the screaming shits and rapidly babbling about glue-in jobs next.

Talking about shit I haven't done isn't my style, and cussing Horus certainly doesn't come from reading a magazine. I used to shoot a USO with a Horus, and it sucked then, and nothing about their "new" stuff looks interesting in the least. It's neat if it's your intro into subtension, but shooting through graph paper gets old fast, as does getting lost in a sea of squares. I couldn't in good faith ever consider Bushnell optics to be anything other than shit, from years spent watching them go tits up when the weather changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure where you "only heard good things" about a stock many refer to as "the Plaster disaster" (after its creator, Maj. John Plaster). It is a love/hate thing, and has a cult following, but is not synonymous with quality IMHO. Don't feel bad though, you're not the first guy that Choate has hoodwinked on that stock. There are other stocks in the same boat: Hogue, ATI, etc. so watch out for them. These are often referred to as "Tupperware" due to the plasticy construction, which tends to lead to sub par performance (fore-ends flexing/touching the barrel, etc.)...

I think you've done good with choosing a starting platform, my suggestion would be to sell the choate online and upgrade to something like a bell & carlson. The price point isn't a whole lot different, but the quality is. Stocky's has the B&C "m40" style for a shade over $200, and that stock has been met with a lot of praise from HIDE members and others. Or look for an HS Precision takeoff in our classified section (that m24 you use at work is in an HS, by the way).

Please don't take the criticism wrong, most of us mean it to be constructive. I built my "light tac" .30-06 exactly the same way you are building this one, a bit @ a time as I could afford it back then. It's sitting in an HS stock right now, and it's still a hammer to this day. If I was hunting to stay alive, that would be the one I had slung.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Millett 4X16 TRS-1 $300,</div></div>

How do you like the Millett 4X16 TRS-1. I just ordered one. I have been tracking it all day.

It will be here Monday.

BriansGun.jpg

Sorry for the horrible phone picture.

Bought a cheap remington 700 adl in 308 at academy for $350 and slowly built it up, lilja barrel, jewell trigger, HS stock, Remington 700 bdl bottom metal, TPS scope rings (new ones are lower then the ones in the pic), TPS 20 moa picatinny rail, Harris bipod, NF 5.5-22x50 NPR 2.... I've only tried it up to 400 yards due to my lease managers new rule of no target practice anymore. It shot very nice groups at 400, need to post some more pics soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That same stock worked out well for rusell simmonds

http://www.google.com/search?q=ruse...gc.r_pw.&fp=d906a5888a541a69&biw=980&bih=1190

I have the b&c a2 and I think it's a great stock, and was recommended by many here. However on other forums, it was called a piece of shit and that I wasted my money on it

Here is the qoute actually

I'm not hip on AL in general, am dubious of B&C's inletting, and their construction is only passable. For a man who plans on spending his weekends awash in a sea of bullets, micrometers, and laboratory grade optical measuring instruments, I find it odd that the obvious stock/action/bedding "gaps" haven't left you with the screaming shits and rapidly babbling about glue-in jobs next.

Talking about shit I haven't done isn't my style, and cussing Horus certainly doesn't come from reading a magazine. I used to shoot a USO with a Horus, and it sucked then, and nothing about their "new" stuff looks interesting in the least. It's neat if it's your intro into subtension, but shooting through graph paper gets old fast, as does getting lost in a sea of squares. I couldn't in good faith ever consider Bushnell optics to be anything other than shit, from years spent watching them go tits up when the weather changes.
</div></div>

Dude, that was really hard to follow. BTW- my post was in reply to the OP about what he heard about the choate, I wasn't calling you out. Let me see if I can address a couple of the items you mentioned.

1) Russel is a helluva shooter, and like many folks here will tell you... the shooter is far more of the equation than gear. I've had plenty of shitty gear that worked fine, but I still don't like the idea of it.

2) Is that quote from Simmonds or someone else? There really isn't a citation there, so it basically means jack to me until you cite it.

3) I've never had a problem with an aluminum inlet stock, or a bell & carlson. I would not buy their cheaper lines, but the medalist series seems pretty decent. I totally dig the aluminum HS stocks, i've had several and not a problem from one of them. YMMV, everyone has their own preferences.

4) Maybe I misunderstood your post, but I don't know that anyone here is talking about shit they haven't seen/done/owned. I've shot a plaster stock on a friend's savage. I did not care for it, and like it or not, it has a reputation that precedes it. I've actually started keeping a list of products I refuse to own, and companies I won't deal with. This isn't alone on that list, it's LONG. If you like it, then rock it. If it works for the OP, then great. Like I said, it's a love/hate thing. IMHO, choate and "precision rifle" don't belong in the same paragraph.

5) Not sure what Horus has to do with anything relating to the plaster stock? If that is part of the quote, then you may want to edit that off to avoid confusion. I don't care for their products, that much is true, and i've got no qualms talking about it... but that's not relevant to this thread. If you (or anyone, really) would like to discuss Horus feel free to PM me and i'll tell you why i'll never own another one.

That's all i've got to say on the subject. My best advice for the OP is to surf this board, and read until your eyes bleed. Then read more. Then decide what companies you'll trust with your money, and what products you're willing to try. Then buy one, go out and flog it mercilessly. If it sucks, get rid of it. Life is too short to suffer with shitty equipment when you have options.

Honestly, once I finish my 06' my next plans are for a complete budget build. If you shop wise enough you can do quite a lot for a little bit of cash.

My next shopping list.
Savage 10 rifle .243 or .260 $250-400 Used, most likely
-If I can get the rifle cheap enough I can do a bbl swap on my own with a short-chambered barrel. But that will add to the cost.
Choate U/S stock $179 Or their A3 stock $240
Bipod $75
EGW 20 MOA rail $40
Leupold PRW rings $35
Bushnell mil/mil 3200 10x $200
Dies for whatever caliber I end up with $60-ish

I have no issues with B&C or others, they will all work.
Aside from loading components, for just over a grand you have a great budget rifle that will be a good shooter. Not all of us can afford a GAP, or custom actioned tack driver.

I have owned a couple of Choate stocks.

One was the ultimate varmint, the other is the newer tactical.

They both worked very well. The both had a decent inlet job, they both improved the accuracy and consistency of teh rifle they were on.

I replaced the varmint stock with a B&C varmint/tactical (savage rifle), the design of the varmint stock was great from the bench or prone, not so good from alternative field shooting positions.
With the B&C stock, that rifle is no longer as consistent as it was with the Choate.

The tactical stock was a replacement for the crappy hogue stock on an SPS tactical. It works just fine and has some attributes only found on much more expensive stocks. If they would have had the B&C M40 stock out at the time, I would have goe that route.

The Choate stock is a lot of stock for the money, as said, folks either like them or hate them. They work. It is a tool. There are better tools, there are worse tools.

My range report will come soon! I wish it was sooner but they havent shipped it out yet. I know you can have a great custom rifle but if your not a good shot then you aint got shit. And im not trying toot my own horn but you cant become a military sniper without being an average shot either...so i think i can make this Choate stock work...and like yall said if not ill sell it and try out another one. But for now till my triplets come and i can get the finances strait again ill make this a tack driver and kill some stuff with it and have fun till i can make it that much better!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adm09_003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you cant become a military sniper without being an <span style="color: red"> average </span> shot either... </div></div>

Don't you mean above average? the military is probably full of average shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adm09_003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you cant become a military sniper without being an <span style="color: red"> average </span> shot either... </div></div>

Don't you mean above average? the military is probably full of average shooters. </div></div>

I meant you cant become a military sniper from being a average shot either...sorry

I had that same US stock on a Kreiger barrelled Rem 700 and eventually replaced it with a Bell and Carlson mostly because I really couldn't stand how it looked. It took more work to get it to shoot well in the BC stock then it did in the US stock and. I think Choates best stock is the new tactical stock.
http://www.tacticalworks.com/New-Choate-Tactical-Stock.html
For roughly $450 you can get it with an adjustable LOP and cheekpiece. For 220 you get it without the above accessories.
I would love to be able to put a Manners Custom on all my rifles, but I can't afford to do that and keep Household 6 happy.

The shooter makes the rifle. The main thing is that you enjoy what you are doing and just have fun. The build is part of the fun. A few years ago I was in my buddies pawn shop and saw a howa 1500 in 7mm-08 for $450 new. I did not have anything in that cal so I picked it up. Put a lupy 3-9 rifleman on it and purchased a box of ever factory load I could find, from hornady to core-locs. Thought to myself this would be a good beat around rifle. After going to the range this rifle shot a one hole 5 shot group with Remington 110gr hollow points. Man I was surprised. Point being I was just as happy with this little gun as the $4,000 one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Millett 4X16 TRS-1 $300,</div></div>

How do you like the Millett 4X16 TRS-1. I just ordered one. I have been tracking it all day.

It will be here Monday. </div></div>

gathumper Thank you

-Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adm09_003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks bcpdshooter that is right! </div></div>

We knew what you meant to say.

You've been through a lot with your deployment. Now with your wife and triplets.

It's takes a strong man to walk your path.

Keep your head up take deep breaths and you will be fine.