• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Budget Build Tactical Rings, Mounts?

Krav69

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2007
I'm helping a friend get into the long range game, and since he's on a budget, I offered to help and attempt to point him in the right direction.

But now I'm the one who's confused.

I was looking for tactical rings/mounts for a Leupold MK4 (medium height rings) and the last time I looked for rings/mounts, about 5 years ago, there weren't half as many manufacturers. They seem to have multiplied and I don't know what's good and what isn't.

Any suggestions? I refuse to buy the latest Chinese counterfeits and I'm hoping that you guys could steer me away from that crap.

Re: Budget Build Tactical Rings, Mounts?

Weaver tac rings or Burris XTR rings as mentioned above and a weaver or EGW 20 MOA base. Best of luck

Depends how budget u want. I like TPS. You can do both for about $135 or so.

I've had really good experience's with TPS. I've heard horrible things about their customer service, but I have never needed it.

Laugh all you want at this but the new weaver tactical stuff is really impressive for the cash I bought a set for my 22 and was forced to run them on my 7wsm last weekend and they did great no marks on a USO I borrowed from a friend

The Burris XTRs and Weaver Tactical rings are both decent I have both, they are also both HUGE, and could potentially interfere with scope positioning, doubtful though. I had no issues or ring marks with either. I give preference to the XTRs as the crossbolt is captive. The Weavers come in two forms, weaver and picatinny, the main difference being the crossbolt, the picatinny is larger and can take a higher torque, something to be aware of. I also have some TPS steel rings which weren't too high priced and much prefer them mainly for the asthetics, and I really like their cap attachment method, I've heard about their CS lacking, but I hope to never use it. I have the Weaver Tactical 20MOA Picatinny extended rail, its aluminum, its straight, it has a recoil lug, its affordable and its made in the US, it did not fit my receiver perfect, requiring bedding, which I would've done anyway.

I have had good luck with the TPS Rings and Bases. They also have choices between aluminum and alloy steel. About $140 for a robust set in alloy steel. A little less for aluminum.

When $$$ is tight burris rings & weaver base. Lap the rings. Bed the Base. Definately amust. Good Luck

I tried a set of Weaver rings (to mount an old Tasco scope onto a tripod to use as a spotter) and I have to say, they're pretty cheaply made. Felt no better than the junk Chinese made rings I see at gun shows. I would spend the money and get at least the TPS rings.

EGW and some Leupold rings would make for a cheap but decent set up. Probably want to lap the rings, I have never bedded the base so I dont know how much it helps.

I mounted Burris XT rings ($50) and a Burris XT 2 piece base ($18)on my 243. I like the 2 piece base for better access.

I have had good luck with the TPS Rings and Bases. They also have choices between aluminum and alloy steel. About $140 for a robust set in alloy steel. A little less for aluminum.

+1 I've got TPS rings on two guns, steel 34mm on a bolt and alum 30mm high on a gas gun.. unbeatable value.

I would suggest a Weaver Tactical base and TPS TSR rings.

That is about as "cheap" as I would go if I still cared about precision.

They are Made in the US as well.

+1, I've used both of these and found no reason to upgrade to more expensive models. Make sure to bed the base.

I've used a couple of EGW rails and there is nothing wrong with them, although a recoil log would be nice.

I used one set of Vortex Tactical rings that were quite inexpensive, made in China, but a solid step up from other cheap Chinese rings I've seen. At $36 bucks for the pair, they are not going to put TPS out of business, but they held a Sightron S3 3.5-10x44 quite well and when I removed the scope there was no evidence the scope had ever been mounted, no ring marks whatsoever.

When I replaced the Sightron with a March scope, I found a set of Seekins rings in stock, but I would not hesitate to use the cheap Vortex rings again if I had an application for them.

Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2