• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget/DIY way to smooth the bolt out on a aac-sd?

ssteve

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2011
Picked up a 700 sps tactical and would like to do some hunting with it, and one thing that would be nice is if the bolt didnt sound like I was dragging it across concrete. I dont want to effect accuracy or spend a ton of money as its not really a financial priority, but if I could bust out the dremal and polish something that would be nice.

Re: Budget/DIY way to smooth the bolt out on a aac-sd?

I have three and honestly just working the bolt will break it in. I use PTFE dry lube on my bolts and it helps to keep the carbon and crud from sticking.

Not sure if you do dry fire practice, but a few hundred cycles and it will smooth out.

Not sure I would bust out the dremel.
Just put a thin coat of oil on the bolt itself, not the lugs or the bolt face. Less is better in this as you don't want it dripping down into the trigger ass.
Keep working the bolt in and out.

also, the addition of an overside bolt knob helps a lot; more leverage

Cycle the bolt via live / dry fire and it will get smoother.

I have been dry firing the heck out of it, I also have a surgeon knob on the way. As much as I don't like the gritty feeling, I also really don't like how loud it is. It resonates through the whole dang gun.

Dry fire it, and dry fire it some more. You're not really going to "dremel" your way into a smooth bolt. Also, don't screw with the lugs!

You may consider cleaning up the pin/spring, and drop a little oil there. You'll have to remove the firing pin/spring to do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot it. </div></div>

This.

Ive smoothed out a couple of my remingtons with a little bit of jb compound and a movie. Put some on your race ways and lugs and just work your bolt while you watch a movie its smoothed mine out like glass. Only down side is it take a little bit of time to clean it up real good but its a cheap way to smooth out the bolt and the bolt lift.

Spoke with a few smith's that showed me where some compound and elbow grease will help speed up the process of wearing the bolt on its friction points, and it got rid of the real gritty feeling I was getting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hillbilly_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive smoothed out a couple of my remingtons with a little bit of jb compound and a movie. Put some on your race ways and lugs and just work your bolt while you watch a movie its smoothed mine out like glass. Only down side is it take a little bit of time to clean it up real good but its a cheap way to smooth out the bolt and the bolt lift. </div></div>