• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes budget optic

quiksilv81

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2009
north carolina
looking for a budget optic for my remington 5r 308. i have been looking at the wotac 10x and the falcon ffp scopes any help would be appreciated. and yes i have used the search option but still having a tough time deciding. looking to spend below $500

Re: budget optic

Vortex Viper, 6.5-20x44. $479 from SWFA and there is a $50 rebate until Dec. 31st. Many reviewers have said the glass is comparable to Nightforce and Leupold Mk IV's.

Make sure you understand that there is a BIG difference between the new SS 10x HD and the old SS 10x. I have only looked through the old 10x and there is no way I would go that route over a Falcon.

Get the new SWFA Super Sniper........or find an older model
Best bang for the bucks!

1S1

A shooter showed up at a recent Rifles Only class with a scope clearly unsuitable for that activity. We replaced it with a fixed 10 Super Sniper we had on hand, and he shot very well using it. Having a mil reticle and 0.1 mil clicks made everything very easy for him, and he had no trouble with the scope shooting targets out to 1000 yards.

I have a friend that has a 5r with a Millett LRS-1, 6-25x56 with a 35mm tube. Its on sale now for 419.00 with rings. IMO, the scope was very clear and tracked very well from 100 to 500 yards throughout the day. It has a mil dot reticle with half mil hash lines which I thought was very nice.

Millet 4-16 or 6-25
SWFA Super Sniper (new one) 3-9 or 10x (a little over budget)
Bushnell Elite 4200 or a used 6500
Used Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 (may find a deal for $650)
Falcon 4-14

My favorite scope is this one Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42, but it is a little over your budget too.

Here is another plug for the Explore Optics 4-16x50mm TTMD for $279 from a dealer buddy of mine.

It is the scope that I use, and I absolutely LOVE the thing!!

DK