• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Build an AICS Chassis for a Howa 1500?

Re: Build an AICS Chassis for a Howa 1500?

What kind of screws are you guys using for the cheekpiece and the stock sides? Do I need the original AI screws or is it possible to use something else?

I got my stocksides with the original AI screws. They are very skinny - not sure what thread they are. You might be able to find replacement screws at a hardware store, but more likely on a site like McMaster-Carr. If I remember, I'll take mine to the hardware store next time I go to check the thread pitch and diameter.

As far as the cheekpiece screws are concerned, there are people on this site that make "aftermarket" screws that are knurled, so you can adjust them by hand, rather than having to bring an allen wrench along. It seems those would be even better than the AI screws.

The side panel screws are metric, M3x.5. The cheekrest screws are m5x.8. You can buy plastic knurled caps that press onto the head of a socket head cap screw (allen bolt). You just sit the caps over the bolt head and wind it on in a vice. I haven't had one fall of yet, they're pretty permanent.

gregt, or anyone else doing similar projects, do you have autocad or solid works files, or even a dimensioned drawing that you would be willing to share? I would like to machine a chassis for my Savages and the AICS skins. gregt, your chassis looks like it turned out very nice, congratulations.

What is a autocad and solid works file?
smile.gif
Are they for a CNC or the likes?
smile.gif

Also would any of these mills work for the job?
smile.gif

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.asp...m_content=G0619

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Milling-Machine/G0720

Thanks for your advice thus far guys, very much appreciated.
smile.gif

Autocad is a 2D CAD (computer aided design) software. Solidworks is a 3D software. I do not have copies of either that I can distribute. I am however working on an Autocad file for the Howa action inletting. Once I have it perfected I will share it with anyone who is interested.

As far as the two mills are concerned: Those ARE the Sieg X3 mill. That is the exact mill I owned. Both of those are the same mill, just with different options. It is OK, but for the price you can get a used Bridgeport, which is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better. SO much better, that I would not even consider the X3 unless you do not have room for a full sized mill. If you plan on machining an steel - then don't even bother.

I agree about the mills, the bigger the better because you have so much more rigidity.

I'd also take a look at the Tormach cnc mill. They're still small but are a really top little machine. I think they start at about $6500 new but you do see the occasional 2nd hand one around. That's what I've machined all of mine on.

I got the chassis for the 223 just about done over the weekend, some photos below:

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

Greg, just STOP IT. Stop it already. I'm jealous enough as it is. Seriously, sweet machining man. I'd like to see some close ups from above the action area, and also with the skins on, as well as inside the magwell area!

IMG_0951.jpg

There you go, it still needs a light sand up inside because I got a bit of chatter with a 6mm cutter hanging out a mile from the collet.

The front and rear slide onto a 20mm long spigot and have a 6mm countersunk screw to hold them in place. Once it's anodised I'll put it all together with some urethane or araldite or similar so nothing will ever come off again.

I'm working on the butstock piece now and the plug for the front to take a spigot bipod. Hopefully I should have all the machining wrapped up tomorrow.

That magwell isn't perfectly rectangular is it? This whole time I've been thinking that it was. That could complicate things...

Also, I still cannot for the life of me figure out how you put spring tension on that mag release.

Thanks for these awesome pics!

Nope it's not rectangular but if you have a DRO or are good at marking out you can drill the corners first then use those holes to set the cut up along the x axis of your mill.it will just take a couple of setups.

For the spring, think along the lines of the spring on a clothes peg but smaller with the coils sitting over the bolt the lever pivots on and the ends pointing upwards and out against the top of the lever and back against the magwell. I can snap a photo if you want.

I was thinking of using shims to create the correct angle to machine the magwell properly, using the corner holes as reference points.

I think I'm getting the idea of the spring system for the magwell. So the mag release is just a flat piece of metal with a hole drilled through it for the pin/screw? Also, where did you get the spring you are using, or did you make it yourself?

I would appreciate a photo, if it isn't too much of a pain to take it apart.

No worries, it's just dummied up to make sure everything works, I like to give everything a polish up with scotchbrite to debur it and make it all the same finish so I've got that to do anyway.

IMG_0953.jpg

I just twisted up a spring for this one to try it out, the ones I'm using are these type:

torspr1.gif

These pics and information is priceless! I´ve placed the order on the side panels and cheekrest. Home made Tikka T3 Varmint "AICS", coming right up!
smile.gif
Thanks again Greg!

No problem Julle. Like I was saying earlier, if you were doing it to save money it would be a waste when you can buy the RCS to suit a Tikka and they look to be a really well made bit of gear.

As a project though for someone with a bit of equipment it's not terribly difficult to make it, just time consuming. I'll hopefully have a left handed Tikka soon so I might make one for that as well. I really wish Howa would put out a left handed 1500.

I'm still going to buy an AI AW one day, they are just such a nice total package but currently I'm a little poor!

Well the Roedale AICS kit for Tikka is 750€ plus shipping and the AI parts for this project are 240€ (panels, magazine, butt pad, cheekpiece, all the screws). Machining is free for me and I wont be spending over 500€ for the material so... Worth doing? No doubt about it!
smile.gif

If anyone in here has a solidworks file on this, preferably for a savage, I'd really appreciate a copy!
smile.gif
Amazing work gents.

The Hide definitely has some real talent out there!!! Great work, can't wait to see the final work.

Oh and if anyone has a pair of extra right hand sidepanels for long action, I´d be interested!

Sorry, my extra set is already promised to Gregt - who has helped me immensely to get off the ground with this project. Plus mine are short action. Good luck julle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No worries, it's just dummied up to make sure everything works, I like to give everything a polish up with scotchbrite to debur it and make it all the same finish so I've got that to do anyway.

IMG_0953.jpg

I just twisted up a spring for this one to try it out, the ones I'm using are these type:

torspr1.gif

</div></div>

You could sell these as aftermarket levers. $0.02

Thanks mate, do you reckon there would be any need or market for them though?

I'm making some dbm's at the moment and they're going to use the same lever. It's always nice when you can use the same thing for more than one job.

AI just needs to start producing AICS systems for more than just the 700 footprint. Alberta Tactical out of Canada was machining their own AI style chassis for Savage actions and putting AI skins on it. AI called and threatened to sue them if they didn't stop. Wish I would have ordered mine before they had to shut down production. There is definitely a market for it. I've heard word that AI is going to release a Savage AICS; should be out sometime this year. Anyone else here this? If that's the case maybe AI will start making them for other actions as well.

I'm doing a chassis to suit a model 10 at the moment, it's probably still a month or so away. I need a budget left handed rifle for some tactical comps and unfortunately Howa don't make one. I'm making the chassis so it's left or right handed hopefully.

are there any news on a savage model 10? would appreciate any information on that, thx.

are there any news on a savage model 10? would appreciate any information on that, thx.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are there any news on a savage model 10? would appreciate any information on that, thx. </div></div>

Yep, I've been waiting to get a left handed Savage model 10 and what I wanted wasn't easy to get so last week I bought a regular right handed Stevens 200 to use as a test/measure/mule rifle to make the Savage chassis. From everything I've seen and read they are the same action, just a different trigger, toothpick barrel and a horrible stock.

I've measured it up and done some drawings of it, I'm going to machine up a prototype chassis in the next 3-4 weeks hopefully and test it to make sure everything fits as it should and works. I've already got some front and rear pieces machined up and I checked the chassis today to make sure it will fit the Viperskins as well, I'm going to machine the extra hole so it's not a problem to fit either those or the AICS skins.

I don't want to promise anything then not deliver but I think I'll have something sorted before Christmas.

thx m8,

sounds great, pls give us as many updates as possible and as soon as your shedule lets you time, post some pictures.

laugh.gif

I'm in schooling for machining and CNC and have been developing a new rifle stock for the last couple days. I've come up with a design I really like and this thread is motivating me to really go through with making it. I don't have a mill but I'm hoping my instructor will allow me to use our hass mini mill. I'm excited about it big time now lol, I've got some cool features I think people would like if I can patent it.

GregT, thank's for your insight on this thread. Had you not shared, I may not have ever started this project.

Pointi, I usually buy mine from the "options and accessories" thread on this forum.

Take a look at the Viperskins as well, I just fitted a set to mine and they're really well made and very comfortable to use.

IMG_1122.jpg

thx gregt,

I was to stupid to check all threads on the forum
blush.gif

..seems Viperskins is shipping to Austria as well, wenn time comes will ask for details.

First going to wait how your project on savage 10fp will work out.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thx gregt,
First going to wait how your project on savage 10fp will work out.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

I am with you on this one. I am very interested to see how this progresses.

That is some amazing machine work, especially to someone with only a hack saw and a file available. I am really interested to see how this finishes out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a bit of drawing on it tonight, it came to 1.3kg (just under 3lb) for the bare chassis.

exploded.jpg

assembled.jpg
</div></div>
Excellent job Gregt! If you're ever interested in sharing those solidworks files, I'd be very interested in a copy! Now all I'd need is a cnc mill to make my own ...
confused.gif

Getting possibility to start my own project, found a guy for CNC milling job, so that´s what I also need for my project on doing an inlet for my Savage. Would be pretty cool getting that measurements - files.

@gregt: If you dont mind sharing your well and hard done job, just tell me the fees for your work and under which AutoCAD Version you did your drawings
laugh.gif

I would love to get one of these chassis for my Howa long action. Hope these will be available seems like none one makes a good stock for the Howa long action.

I would be interested in a copy of any 2d or 3d drawings of this system for any action. I have SolidWorks and would like to model this up.

Thanks for the info on the mills guys.
smile.gif
sorry that i didnt get to thank you sooner.
Does anyone have a file to do an inletting for the badger m2008 action?
smile.gif

I am not satisfied with the idea of chewing up my AICS and would much rather build an aluminum chassis or have one built with the correct inlet from the start.I know it would look much cleaner and be very solid. Not to mention that i would not have to deal with the part where the bolt handle sits. It looks kinda funny to me with the skinny bolt handle sitting in such a large area.
I have seen some mods that shrink the area but that requires screwing the piece into the chassis to fill up the gap.
Any feedback would be most good.
smile.gif

Cool this might just be the thing I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like none one makes a good stock for the Howa long action. </div></div>

Is Mcmillan not making Long Action Howa stocks?
I know they make stocks for short action Howas.

Hell if they're not you could have a flat top inletted for it.

gregt, you're badass man!

Hey guys!

Does anyone have still have the solidwork files they would be willing to share?

I would be so nice to see if I can make the chassis before buying a Viperskin to get the measurements..

Best regards,

Søren from Denmark

if anyone has any CAD files or even hand drawn prints feel free to PM me
i can host them on my Dropbox for others to access. Otherwise I may just draw by hand from my skin measurements

I'm outside Madison, WI and am starting my project for a Savage 110

Firestorm - where in WI are you? would be neat to compare notes someday