• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build for my tiny girlfriend

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
I'm looking to build a rifle for my girlfriend so she can start shooting with me. She is 5' and about 100#. I'd like to build something light weight and easy to shoot so she doesn't get discouraged. I'd also like it to be 1000 yard capable. Thank you all in advance for the help.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I think you posted this in the wrong forum. This is the equipment section. Having said that, what is your budget? Hopefully this gets moved to the bolt action section.

I think you posted this in the wrong forum. This is the equipment section. Having said that, what is your budget? Hopefully this gets moved to the bolt action section.
I just got a new phone and the forum is in Taptalk so I'm not very familiar with the navigation on this app. Sorry about that admin.

As far as budget maybe 6k or so.

Build something in 6mm or 6.5mm. All the girls I have dated enjoyed 223 and the 222. Since you want to shoot 1000 yards I'd go with a 260 with a break. Will be real light on recoil and get you out past 1000. I'm sure some would say 6.5 creed as it has a ton of ammo offerings. I have found the 260 has come a long way with Federal, Hornady, and Prime match ammo. Plus everyone has creedmore these days. And if you don't want to build I'd buy a switch barrel set up. Accuracy international would be my choice. I think Euro optics even has 243 barrels for them. You got a nice budget to play with.

6k won't be limiting you at all. You will be able to get most things within your range. I'll let others chime in on the best caliber for 1k with the lowest amount of recoil though since I only have a .308 but I know .260 and 6.5 etc all have a little less recoil

edit: Athanasios beat me to it

My advice if she hasn't shot much would be to snag a 20" 5R in 223 and run some Black Hills 77 TMK's. Super light recoilng and you won't be out a ton of cash if she decides it isn't for her.

If she does like it and wants more, then spend the money and have it trued/fitted PTG bolt and a custom barrel/stock put on it and have it chambered in 6 Creed since it's light recoiling and will get you to a 1000.

I'd say 6 or 6.5, don't go light, weight helps with recoil. My nephew was shooting my 6.5 CM with a brake when he was 12 and watching the steel rams at 500 meters fall in the scope the first time he shot it, the noise bothered him more than the recoil. He'd only shot a .22 a couple times before shooting my 6.5.

As you want both low recoil and light weight I would step back from the 6.5's and look real hard at the 6mm's. If you are a traditionalist the .243 Win with a fast twist barrel. Other wise one of the fashionable 6CM's. With your budget you could call Chad at LRI and tell him you want one of his DLC Mausingfields with a Bartlien barrel and a Manners stock to meet your desired weight.

I just got a new phone and the forum is in Taptalk so I'm not very familiar with the navigation on this app. Sorry about that admin.

As far as budget maybe 6k or so.

I'd echo what others have said, you should get a 6mm cartridge of your choosing. Probably with a carbon fiber stock (Manners) and barrel (Proof) if you really want to keep the weight down. With that budget it strikes me that you're not too concerned with barrel life. If you want a light bolt lift for her then maybe a Bighorn TL3 would be well suited to the task. That would also help down the line when you need to rebarrel (from the shorter barrel life). If the build is done by Josh at Patriot Valley Arms on a Bighorn then he can ship you a new pre-fit shouldered barrel without you even having to send the gun back in to him.

A 6BR would fit the bill nicely. Light recoil, inherently accurate, and 1,000 is no problem with 105 Bergers or 95 SMK's out of a 22" barrel. Will splat the steel a bit harder than the 223's. Running as a repeater out of a BDL magazine sucks though. You may be able to set it up with a single stack detachable magazine though. It's been awhile since I looked into it.

6 BR is the ticket, if you reload - 105's at 2835 fps, super easy to load for. I bought a BR barrel for an action that I had 2 bolts for, to use as a practice gun. The most accurate gun I own, and a joy to shoot. Took it to a PRS match a couple weeks ago and don't regret it.

I'm looking to build a rifle for my girlfriend so she can start shooting with me. She is 5' and about 100#. I'd like to build something light weight and easy to shoot so she doesn't get discouraged. I'd also like it to be 1000 yard capable. Thank you all in advance for the help.

.243 with a can or quality break. 22" is enough barrel an nothing heavier than a Rem 5.5 taper.

Thank you all for the input! I will say I was thinking carbon fiber Manners, carbon fiber barrel, maybe a break, and some 6mm varient. Been out of the game for a while since I've been so busy working. Forgot about 260 and 243. Still thinking some 6mm though. And I hand load so if just need to find the right components while rifle is being built. Thank you all for the help!

Almost forgot! One of two of you mentioned actions. Any more options that are light weight and easy bolt lift but still rock solid?

Thank you all for the input! I will say I was thinking carbon fiber Manners, carbon fiber barrel, maybe a break, and some 6mm varient. Been out of the game for a while since I've been so busy working. Forgot about 260 and 243. Still thinking some 6mm though. And I hand load so if just need to find the right components while rifle is being built. Thank you all for the help!

Almost forgot! One of two of you mentioned actions. Any more options that are light weight and easy bolt lift but still rock solid?

If you're going light weight on the gun, I'd lobby harder for the 6BR or the .223. Make it enjoyable for her. This link has some recoil info, and I know there are other charts available by using your google-fu, where you can input gun weight, bullet weight, and velocity.

http://www.twoamendments.com/post/rifle-recoil-table-sortable

6BR is a great choice. Stupid accurate, easy to load and very little recoil. I shoot the Dasher variant and it's a dream. I say 6BR just for the ease of not fireforming brass. These BR variant cartridges are just too much fun to shoot!

I'm curious why you want light weight? Is she going to be carrying it a long ways or shooting positional? One of our club members is about her size and doesn't have any issues carrying her rifle and pack for the club shoots where we walk from the targets to the 1k line and back. We also shoot positional for different courses of fire. 6mm with a brake and recoil is minimal.

My advice if she hasn't shot much would be to snag a 20" 5R in 223 and run some Black Hills 77 TMK's. Super light recoilng and you won't be out a ton of cash if she decides it isn't for her.

If she does like it and wants more, then spend the money and...

I agree with the first part. Get her a used .223 and run 77s with a brake. It will be a bit less accurate past 800, but will reach 1000. (Under $1200 easy) lots of training and easy on the wallet

If she gets into it and wants more gun, then keep that gun and spend more on a 6mm or 6.5 or whatever flavor suits her. A good brake goes a long way... but a suppressor can make her happier if blast/noise bothers her more than recoil. Sell the first when she knows what she wants/doesn't want.

.243 or 6mm RPR...

Spend the rest on a boob-job (unless she's unusually gifted for her size). You'll prob enjoy them more! :-D

I think we're going to need pix of girlfriend to properly assess what kind of rifle you should be after for her.

With that kind of budget, you can build a pretty superb rifle.

I'd start by looking at a Model 600 Remington. Very small action. Very well-suited to .243 or even .223, which can be a great cartridge out to several hundred yards.

You have the budget for barreling, stock work, etc. A nice small action is a good start.

A few years ago, "Scout" rifles were pretty hot. Ruger made a good one, but over-priced for what it was. Good potential, too. And Remington Model 7 was a nice little rifle, right out of the box.

That said.. .and before we settle on a bolt gun... what about an AR platform? There are a ton of options and, built right, the AR can be a great choice for a small-statured person. Lots of options there.

Hey Tucker301 How about moving this into Bolt Action or Gunsmithing?

Look up the 'scout rifle' threads from a few years ago. I can post a picture of my Model 600 Scout custom if you like. Fun project.

Cheers and sounds like a great project,

​​​​​​​Sirhr

Sihr,

that scout in 308 has some stout recoil. Even with the laminate stock it has some pop.

OP,

I would have GreTan bush a bolt on a m700 S.A. and have a reputable Smith spin on a 7.5 twist light Palma chambered up in 6 Norma Dasher or 6BR Norma. Maybe flute it. Both have factory brass. MV will be good with a 24-26" barrel, recoil is almost nothing with either and that's without a brake. Put it in a used Manners with a mini-chassis and put a decent base, rings and used glass on it. you're out for between $3000 - $3500 depending on glass and you can spend the $3000 you saved on a beach vacation, which is what she probably really wants.

When she's been Mrs. OP for a half dozen years or so and shows some level of give a shit, then build her a custom.

My girlfriend is also 5' and 100 pound little thing and she handles a 30-06 with zero issue. She has her own Savage Model 10 in 308, just has a good brake on it. Her 20" barreled rifle just lays there like a 50 cent hooker. Don't underestimate what the little girls are capable of handling.

A .223 or 6mm of choice on a nice action or use LRI on a 700.
There is a cheap Tikka .223 on the PX, put it in a chassis and some nice glass, maybe chop the barrel to 18"

Best advice yet. Vudoo gun works V-22 .22 LR. Beats the budget by a mile and then you can afford 10k rds of lapua center x and some damn nice glass.

Get her a stout rifle and a lead sled. Then marry her.
In a few years she'll pack on enough pounds that the recoil will no longer be an issue.

6k budget? Nice.
I say .243 is the perfect caliber for this application, or any other comparable round in the 6mm family, like 6mm Creedmoor. With a 6K budget you can get into a custom action and chassis too, which allows her to pick one she feels most comfortable with. Could be a lighter one like a KRG Xray, XLR Element/Envy/Carbon, MPA Lite, or in order to reduce recoil further, she can pick a heavier one like an MPA Comp, XLR Evolution, etc... A comfortable gun is often very important for lady shooters! I've found it best to let them pick the stock, as long as they know that weight helps with recoil, so going super light isn't always the best idea!

A light/medium contour barrel would be good, I doubt "rapid fire" will be a prominent use for the gun so imo no need to go any thicker than Varmint/Med Palma. Lighter may be more manageable and balance better.

.243 and 6.5 and .308 use the same bolt diameter, so starting with .243 instead of say a .223 would allow her to move up if she becomes interested in a larger caliber.
If you want to use .223 though, a custom action like a Bighorn TL3 with its modular bolt head would allow to go from .223 to 6.5/.308 real easy too.

Last edited:
like every body else has said already, 223 or 6mm nothing larger. my GF now wife used to come to the range with flip flops and a tank top because it was nice outside, they just dont think the same as we do.
And its for the wife or GF (most likely you are carrying, setting up and getting squared away) especially in the beginning. get something with some weight and thats accurate, the better she shoots and the more fun she has the more you can go out to the field...and so the circle goes until you have a few babies.

although the 6br is a pain with magazines most of the time, it will also make her load one shoot one. safer in general and maybe she'll put some more effort to hitting the bull rather than yanking off a AR in 223.

factory 6br ammo is cheap excellent quality and loaded lapua ammo using 105's are good for 1000, plus if you want to reload its simiple as they come. never mind it will print little clovers at 100 with ease from a decent gun. barrels last a long time as well (3,000 top accuracy, when it drops off youll still out group a 223 or 308).
its been the 300-600 yard king for a long time, for good reason.

recoil is a joke, its like a air rifle. i wasnt a believer until i started shooting one.

I'm doing a Cz527 (originally 7.62x39) right now in 6mm AR that is just for fun for me and the name of the game is a light weight hunting/fun rifle with no recoil. I'm having a proof research CF barrel put on it. Should be in the $2000 range for the rifle. 6.5 Grendel is another option. Great youth/female setup IMO.

Do you reload?

I may of read over that if you did mention it.

if you do reload then there is no reason to build a grendel or similar wildcat.

Build a braked 6.0 creed and be done with it. The best components are available. No recoil. Cheap ammo. 1000 yards is nothing special and super easy to load for.

Do you reload?

I may of read over that if you did mention it.

if you do reload then there is no reason to build a grendel or similar wildcat.

Build a braked 6.0 creed and be done with it. The best components are available. No recoil. Cheap ammo. 1000 yards is nothing special and super easy to load for.

I'm no grendel fanboy, but how the hell is it a wildcat?
Federal, Hornady/American Eagle, Wolf and PPU all load commercial ammo for it.
brass is stupid easy to source.
While the 6 CM is a good choice, you have a sole source provider for ammo (Hornady) with only two loads. reloading becomes a nearly mandatory affair. You will also have short barrel life to deal with. Apparently cost isn't a concern to the OP, but there is always the downtime involved.

I'd say fast twist .223 is by far the most economical and veritable choice. .243 would be good but seems to be a barrel burner. With that kind of money to spend, pick action and stock of choice, get a nice 7 twist barrel and rock some 77s or 80s. Then you can plink for next to nothing. It doesn't seem like a 6br or something like that would make sense unless your an experience reloader with all the equipment. .223 is just so versitile and cheap to shoot, I love it. Also it will teach wind reading and holdover/dialing. With a 6mm or 6.5 that cuts the wind really well and shoots like a laser might not learn as much but it would be easy to shoot right out the gate. Thats just my opinion though.

And get as nice a piece of glass that you can afford. That will make the gun.

I'm no grendel fanboy, but how the hell is it a wildcat?
Federal, Hornady/American Eagle, Wolf and PPU all load commercial ammo for it.
brass is stupid easy to source.
While the 6 CM is a good choice, you have a sole source provider for ammo (Hornady) with only two loads. reloading becomes a nearly mandatory affair. You will also have short barrel life to deal with. Apparently cost isn't a concern to the OP, but there is always the downtime involved.

I was referring to wildcats built off the Grendel case i.e. 6T 6R 6FR 6AR etc

I asked if he reloaded. I recommend the 6 creedmoor only if he reloads.

If he does not reload then you are right and it would be hard for me to recommend something other than a Grendel for a small new shooter.

Barrels last a long time for most people that don't shoot like a small portion of people on this forum and that alike.

Someone that says they have a budget of 6k for a build for a girlfriend are usually unaffected by the expense of buying a couple barrels at one time and having them ready to twist on when one decreases in accuracy.

It's still probably irrelavant because as much as most guys would like our better halfs to shoot as much as we do it rarely happens. Barrel longevity is the last thing I would look at.

Last edited:
If the majority of your shooting is 600 yards or less with the occasional dally out to 1000 yards, then I'd go .223 with 75-80 grain bullets. If you spend a lot of time out at 1000, then a 6mm of some flavor. It has been my experience that most women will not put forth the effort to become proficient at the longer ranges. Learning to call wind and having the fundamentals takes time and the women I've shot with like immediate gratification. While 600 yards is not very far for most on this forum, it's a fair poke for shooters who do not dedicate the time and having success is easier to achieve. Your girlfriend may be the exception, but it's something to keep in mind. On the other hand, build a rifle in a caliber you want and you have another rifle to shoot when she's not involved.

How about a Howa Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel? You can get barreled actions from Brownell's and they are pretty reasonable.

A 22-24" barrel with 1/8 or 1/8.75 and good bullets should do the trick.

While I love my .223AI's, I'd go 6 Dasher on a Bighorn TL-3 with a Rem Varmint contour in an A5 with M5 dbm.

32 gr of powder behind a 108 and no brake(!) is a great place to be.

Lots of good advise given here. I'll put some more in since I have managed to get my wife out a few times and even shoot a couple matches.

If youre shooting past, I'll say 500, with any regularity; 223 straight or AI would not be on my list. To keep someone new interested, making hits is the key. While I am certainly capable of shooting my little 223ai to 1000-1200, I would never have my wife use that gun and expect her to enjoy herself.

6mm of some variety is what I will suggest. More powder equals more recoil. Bigger 6mms will recoil more than the smaller ones. No way around it. I'm 6'2" 220. I can't really tell the difference between my 15lb 6BRX and my 11lb 243AI. My wife definitely can! She's bigger than your girlfriend so it will be even more noticeable to her. 6BR/BRX/Dasher. That's where I would point you. My wife chooses the BRX and does quite well with it. Since she doesn't shoot nearly as much as I do or devotes the time to practice reading wind as I do, any advantage will make it easier for her to make hits. A 1/4" gun gives a lot more leeway than a 1/2" gun when you start talking 1000yards. The BR family of cartridges is about the easiest route I've found to a gun that shoots that small regularly.

Now something I haven't seen brought up too much yet is the stock. Being 5' makes most average stock too large. XLR chassis is what I'll suggest here. Any chassis that is highly adjustable really. I'm just a fan of the XLR. A carbon with a lighter contour barrel like a light Palma.

On on top of that, the best glass you can manage. Cheaping out in the glass department is not a good idea. A scope with good and forgiving eye box I've found to be very valuable in making it enjoyable and to keep her wanting to shoot.

There you go. Just another man's .02

If you don't want to build up a rifle and want something capable right out of the box, look at a Savage BVSS or VLP in .223 they offer 1:7 twists with a long barrel that will help her reach out farther with heavier bullets. I don't see a need for a detachable mag in this case, in fact single shot or lower capacity box mags will be conducive to taking more time with each shot, focus more on fundamental rather then just banging away ammo with out taking time on each shot. My 2 cents.

My wife is about the same stats and she love the short action axmc in 308 the most. I would say pick up a used short action axmc or a AIAT from the PX here and have enough left over for decent glass. It doesn't really check the "light" box on your list though.

Ruger RPR
cots solutions, 6.5 creed
keep bone stock until her interest indicates otherwise
so that leaves 4500
buy top tier glass
good bipod, atlas etc
that should leave about 1000 for ammo, bag, ep etc

And get as nice a piece of glass that you can afford. That will make the gun.

YES. Get her the nicest glass you can afford that is both popular and in MILS. Get her something that she can use on a $8,000 rifle out past 1000 yards. (at least 25x on the high end)

Easier resale if she wants something else later. Can't hit what you can't see and mediocre glass strains the eye. With all due respect to Galli (who has forgotten more about scopes than I'll ever learn), the difference between $1000 glass and $2000+ is both significant and very noticeable in usage. Can you hit if it's mechanically accurate? yes. but the experience isn't the same

want the best experience for her