• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build RimX or Buy Vudoo

Six total, random feeding issues all year. The failures to fire, light strikes, re-cock the bolt and they fired, December & January .

I have seen dozens in matches with very few issues. Random feeding issues can happen in any .22 including Rim X. Stock/Chassis has a lot to do with that and what you wrote about hack smiths I agree with and it also goes to people who buy barreled actions and don't know how to fit them into stocks/chassis. Almost every feeding issue I have seen in a Vudoo came back to magazine fit in the stock/chassis.

FF and light strikes also come down to ammo and rifle maintenance especially in cold weather where lubes can gum up. I use a light dry lube in the winter and never an issue in over three years with my Vudoo. Only ammo issue I ever had was with Eley CMP.

@Rob01 what type dry lube are you using? I noticed a few cycling issues with the Lucas I had been using. Don’t know if I had it a little thick or not. I pulled everything out and wiped the bolt down again and went to running smooth. This is on my Bergara.

The only feeling issues I have seen with the Vudoo is from improperly loading magazines. It is possible to induce a “rim lock” (the rim of the round on top is sitting behind the rim of the round below it) with a VGW magazine (at least the polymer mags, I am not sure about the metal). Not saying that other feeding issues can’t occur, just this is what I have seen and it is user induced.

@Rob01 what type dry lube are you using? I noticed a few cycling issues with the Lucas I had been using. Don’t know if I had it a little thick or not. I pulled everything out and wiped the bolt down again and went to running smooth. This is on my Bergara.

I use the Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube. It works well to wipe down and then a thin layer of dry lube when putting it together.

The two differ in one area

Vudoo barrels use an extractor cut
RimX barrel centerfire barrel chamber.

The standard 22lr has always used an extractor cut. This feature separates most smiths and requires a specialized 22lr smith.

RimX has changed this in their bolt design which does not require an extractor cut. Your centerfire gunsmith can chamber a 22lr barrel with less specialization in 22lr.

Vudoo already comes as a barrelled action so there is no down side BUT you are not going to be chambering any barrels for this action. 60,000 or 100,000 rds later you will start looking at new barrels

RimX can be supplied with a barrel and there are prefits available, the difference is that you can chamber a barrel of your choosing if you have the skill set.

Cheers
Trevor

I have a RimX. It is not perfect, but I have so few issues with feeding and ejecting that I am inclined to believe it is from short stroking the bolt, etc. I bought a barreled action from Curtis Custom Weapons in MO and bolted it in an ARC XYLO. I made the mag height adjustment per the instructions and the thing just runs. I have seen people have issues though.

As far as accuracy, I don't know that I could shoot anything any better. It will routinely shoot under 1/4" for 5 shots at 50 yards for the 3 lots of sk standard I have put through it. The only other ammo I have tried is some sk semi auto. It does not shoot well. More like 1-1.5 moa with the occasional good group. I have not shot a lot of paper past 50 yards, but I have a 3" wide by 5" tall diamond at 203 yrs. It is pretty easy to go 10 for 10 from the barricade with the sk standard plus with a good wind call. When the target is freshly painted the 10 shot group appears to be close to moa even at 200 yds.

I have not shot any better ammo than sk standard plus through it. I have not seen a need to spend more money on ammo.

I have shot with several guys shooting vudoo rifles. Their guns are definitely accurate. I have played around with a couple briefly. The feel of the action is not quite as good as my rimx but that could be due to how they are timed to the individual trigger in that gun as well.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. There will definitely be a higher probability of issues when mixing and matching chassis/stocks/bottom metal with the rimx unless assembled by a good smith. The 22lr is more finicky than centerfire in my experience. Also, the magazines for the vudoo are less expensive than the rimx magazines.

I honestly love my rimx, but was ready to buy a vudoo and was talked into a rimx by my smith. I have several Zermatt centerfire actions and felt confident in them and their customer support. I am also a sucker for a smooth action and was told they feel a little smoother than a vudoo. I also really wonder what a vudoo with the trigger timed would feel like. A lot of people I speak to about trigger timing don't even understand what it is. It can make one 700 clone feel like shit while another one feels great. In reality, if both triggers were timed to the action well, they would both feel similar (I know not always the case).

Honestly, the RimX is a lot more of a wildcard depending on the build components and the smith. The Vudoo is a complete gun and it will work. They also have a great reputation for customer service if you were to need help with something. I think there are pros and cons to both. It is hard to tell you which is better for your own personal situation. If you have the means, maybe buy both and sell the one you like the least. If not, I would say a RimX built by a good gunsmith is equal to a Vudoo. They will both be very good. Most, if not all, of the problems I have seen from both actions have been people trying to build lego rifles and having feeding issues or barrels that were cut wrong for the rimx.

Thanks to everyone who has posted info and helped me sort this out. I ordered a Vudoo Ravage with Ridgeback stock, 20" Ace Kukri with 30 MOA Rail. Was quoted 16 weeks and I have clicked 2 of those weeks off as of now. Gun is paid in full and they have FFL Info on file. I am into the scope decisions now and that is hurting my head!!!!! If all goes as planned (2020 Flash backs) I should have rifle in hand before the next NRL22 season starts.

Reactions: jdodd
Congrats, and keep us posted on the scope choice!
NF NX8 4-32 Mil-XT w/ ARC rings was chosen. Talked to the people at Vudoo about what the build was going to be for and that is the setup they recommended. I guess I have 14 weeks to love it or change it!!! I did replace the 30MOA Rail with a 40 after being told I would be able to get a 50 yard zero still. that will give me another 12 mil of elevation travel or close to it.