• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build using kidd components

SKS Guy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Luray, Va.
Before anyone says just buy a kidd. I have a 10/22 and I can get the parts for $650 or less. My question is if I build a rifle using kidd components trigger, barrel, hogue stock and a few other kidd odds and ends what kind of accuracy can I expect. Also, anyone suggest other components like Volquartsen.

It is going to be hard to say as the barrel to action fit is critical. Also are you going to bed the action into the stock? Kidd components are great for sure but do not necessarily guarantee accuracy. However if you had a good barrel fit, and a properly bedded stock I would expect somewhere just under MOA @ 50 yards maybe a bit better, but you will not get a consistently 1/2 MOA rifle if that is what you are after.

Other good components:
-Green Mountain Barrels
-MOA
-Volquartsen

I have two bench 1022 I am working on. (You never REALLY finish)

The KIDD drop in trigger kit is $105 and the best thing I ever did to my favorite 1022. Also has the KIDD guide rod and springs and full mirror polish job on the bolt/receiver. Slick.

I've been through a couple of barrels in tests, nothing impressive until I found this current Green Mt 20in Bull for $50, LN and Hogue stock for $50. I put them on a different gun, with a homemade trigger job. Really close to great.

Both guns are now sub MOA. With .40 consistent at 50yrd with Lapua Pistol match ammo.

With better barrels I am sure I can get to .3-ish, couple of guys on RFC are in the low .2s. (some day....)

KIDD and Feddersen barrel seem to rule the roost and I want one of both to compare on my best 1022's.

ok for now i will take back all my off color remarks on a 10/22
jbell you know why, it was bugging the shit out of me.
friend an follow shooter, has 2 kidd built rifles.
got to watch him shoot from 50yd out to 200yd, well shit thoses little semi auto shot damm well
50yd an 100 yd were great groups, 150yd golf ball size group.
now 200yd the wind picked up. an groups around 3to4 inch
so to answer my on stupid question. yes a 10/22 with the right stuff can be a shooter.
but like jbell said all the part have to be put together right, by someone with 10/22 ruger khowledge

sorry RICO you were right again, damm getting tired of saying that LOL

easy answer?.. get a Kidd Barreled Action $375, they recommend for best "BenchRest" accuracy, ( I spoke with them on this) the 20" Match, no flutes, ( I wanted flutes :( ) and the final touch is his 2 stage drop in unit 3oz-3oz it is , in a word, amazing trigger, everyone in my 22 league who tried said wtf, and i had to rip it out of there hands. you can use your 10-22 bolt, but Kidds bolt is not a budget buster, and is cool looking. all totaled without stock is...$850... if you have the budget for it, all the work is done, and done right by the best... I would just drop it into a Bell & Carlson Anschutz ( i have one and it was a drop in) or for 100 less Boyds Tacticool, (i haven't tried that one). I was going to convert my 10-22 but i saw all the videos on utube with guys banging the barrel to get it into the ruger receiver, and said nah.. not doing that. Or.. and I have this setup, Magnum Research 10-22 clone, (<$600), added Kidds 2 stage drop in unit 3oz-3oz, the above B&C Stock and this thing drills 1 raged .5" hole at 50 yds with any ammo i put in it, cycles everything i tried, even eley match which is real light, and apparently unnecessary as all ammo seemed to shoot the same. Speaking of light, the Mag Research feels weightless. One day at the range with that, I took my Ruger to my local dealer and sold it .
Just my 2 cents

I built a 10/22 from a used Kidd barrel, Kidd trigger group, Tac-Sol receiver and a Boyd's thumb hole stock. No Ruger parts that I'm aware of, unless Kidd uses the Ruger trigger housing. When done, I had just over $800 into it. I use Wolf Match Extra and like said above in the 4-7's, but not consistently.

Attachments

• Kidd with Wolf ME.jpg
    Kidd with Wolf ME.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 32
580144_288159444601394_447771697_n.jpg

247064_461008340649836_273000613_n.jpg

50yard 5 shot using federal auto match bulk pack (likes it better than any of the match stuff i've tried.
kidd trigger bolt and charging handle
shilen select match barrel
force productions reciever
my buddy has a kidd barrel it doesn't shoot quite as well but it does alright.

Since 10/22 receiver to barrel fit was mentioned by jbell I'll offer some experience in regards to accuracy potential...

I built up a 10/22 using a Force Productions receiver (same receiver as the KIDD) and a Volquartsen barrel. I initially used the V-block and the barrel was a very snug fit into the receiver. It shot extremely well at 50Y but wasn't that consistent at 100Y+.

I shipped the receiver and barrel off to CT Precision to have the barrel and receiver threaded to eliminate the V block. When I received it back and zeroed it at 50Y the 50Y groups were nearly the same as when the barrel was bolted in with the V-block and I started to worry I wasted my money. Then I shot it at 100, 150, and 200Y-- and the rifle was far more accurate with the threaded barrel compared to the V block.

If you're going for ultimate accuracy with a 10/22 I strongly recommend going with a threaded receiver and barrel-- either get it as a combo from KIDD or you can have your barrel and receiver threaded & timed later. If you thread a barrel that was initially a V-block barrel you'll lose about 0.75" of barrel length so keep that in mind.

The 10/22 still throws the occasional flier but the rifle typically shoots around 1/2-5/8 MOA at 50Y and 0.75-1 MOA at 100Y for 10 shot groups with Wolf Match Target on calm mornings. It is more difficult to shoot consistently accurately than my Sako Quad but I'm quite happy with the rifle. I don't shoot it as much as the Quad nowadays for paper, I use the Quad for prone paper punching and the long range stuff while the 10/22 gets used primarily at the 50Y silhouette range for practicing position & offhand stuff. It's way more accurate than needed for the silhouette range and keeping the 10/22 off of paper keeps me from scheming and spending more money and time on it trying to eek out a little more accuracy & consistency. :)

Before barrel threading it was more like 1.0-1.75 MOA at 100Y and far less consistent, I could never seem to get it to group with any consistency.

A couple years back a few weeks after having the barrel and receiver threaded the stars aligned and I shot a 10 shot group at 200Y that had 9 shots that were within about 1.5" and one flier that made the group about 2.35". I have the picture still somewhere. I was dumbfounded when I went down and looked at the target, couldn't believe it. I've never been able to come close to a similar 200Y group since.

Regarding Wolf Match Target, after chronographing several hundred rounds of Wolf MT in one day I found there are usually 2-5 rounds per 50 round box that shoot about 25 fps above or below the average velocity of the rest of the box. Those rounds with the well above average velocity deviation may only slightly open up a 50Y group but they make a big difference on the 100+ Y groups.

Accurizing a 10/22 is a money and time black hole, that's for sure. Having built a couple now it's cheaper to do it once than do it multiple times so I'd do "best practice" up front-- good receiver (Kidd), good barrel (for >50Y I've had good results with KIDD and Volquartsen but there is no guarantee you'll get a good one), thread the barrel to the receiver, use a good bolt (aftermarket or trued factory), a good trigger, and pick a stable stock with a good bedding job. It's no guarantee you'll have an extremely accurate rifle at 100Y+ but you should still have very good results.

Last edited:
Kidd 20" polished fluted barrel, Kidd drop in trigger kit w/out the trigger, Kidd bolt buffer and Kidd ejector added... Just some of the Kidd parts used in this build..

Attachments

• red mist1111.jpg
    red mist1111.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 37
  • build5.5.jpg
    build5.5.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 34
  • red mist5.5.jpg
    red mist5.5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 28
Is there a bolt action that will accept Kidd stuff? In pa we can't use semi auto stuff to hunt??? Wish the was a action that you could use their stuff on?

Is there a bolt action that will accept Kidd stuff? In pa we can't use semi auto stuff to hunt??? Wish the was a action that you could use their stuff on?

How about a PWS T3 toggle action? Uses standard 10/22 barrels & triggers so you could use a Kidd trigger and barrel if you desire. Looks like a good smith could thread the PWS receiver too.

Last edited:
How about a PWS T3 toggle action? Uses standard 10/22 barrels & triggers so you could use a Kidd trigger and barrel if you desire. Looks like a good smith could thread the PWS receiver too.

What you talking about Willis??? I've never heard of that
Action??? Do you know anybody who has done this
Conversion before?

What you talking about Willis??? I've never heard of that
Action??? Do you know anybody who has done this
Conversion before?

T3 Rimfire Products - PWS

Neat actions, smooth and fast. Also very good for running some of the subsonic ammo like SSS that might not reliably cycle in a regular semi-auto 10/22.

I'd love to see them make a larger magnum version for .17HMR, I'd trust it more than any semi-auto .17HMR and it's a much more budget friendly choice than the Anschutz 1727...

Last edited:
I originally had the same idea as you but ended up with a complete Kidd rifle that I put together. The Receiver/barrel combo is the only thing I ordered assembled. All 10 shots are usually touching at 50yds. As far as the trigger, if you like single stage you can buy the upgrade kit and save a little money. I have the Kidd single stage trigger assembly and I have also done the Kidd trigger upgrade to another 10-22. Both are very similar in feel and pull weight, the upgrade cannot be adjusted without different springs however.
All Kidd components are super nice. Go ahead and upgrade one piece at a time. You will end up with a complete build eventually. they are just that good.

All Kidd parts-supergrade- it'll shoot 1ragged at 50...same or less at 100 still wind...no coffee lol...curious about the stock as well,thx.
Yah Kidd's so particular I was going for a higher end stock,said his latest shipments were "twisted" and I did not want to wait any more time while he "fixed" them. His words..lookin now for a chassis or Manners ect. The hogue is ok...but ready for upgrade. GREAT rifle and smith.....SW

I have a Ruger 10/22 receiver bedded into a Boyd's Tacticool stock. Every other part of the rifle is Kidd. I rarely shoot it, opting more for either my M&P15-22 or Sako Quad, but it is a great shooter.
I think jBell nails it with barrel fit. I've seen that be an issue on aftermarket barrels before. I will say that everything I have used from Kidd has indeed been top notch.

I read somewhere he was doing the Govt's testing for .22 firing pins/extractors as well. Easy to deal with ,and quick with an answer. There is enough good Craftsmen on this side of the pond to get what you want or need. Have fun....

I just purchased a KIDD single stage trigger set at 1.5lbs and the only thing that sucks is, I have to buy a couple more now! Simply amazing, that's all I can say.