• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

build your own private range

416barrett

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Georgia ,seminole ounty
I didnt really know where to post this one but here goes . My brother met a freind at college who is into guns like us . Well he owns a 400 acre farm and said he has access to a d6 catepillar.He wants us one weekend to bulldozer and build sand walls up around a Range 500-700 yards in length wow. To y'all here that may not seem like alot but here anything over 100 yards is long range .far as i can tell the closest range around this size is 300 miles away. He was talking about maybe charging people 5$ per person to shoot . I think in all this sounds like a golden opportunity

Re: build your own private range

Don't count on it being a golden opportunity. Our litigious society makes a shooting range a costly, and dangerous proposition. Get your ducks in a row or make it a secret.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't count on it being a golden opportunity. Our litigious society makes a shooting range a costly, and dangerous proposition. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Get your ducks in a row or make it a secret.</span></span> </div></div>

Couldn't agree more. I would keep it for private use. The minute you open it to public, suddenly there is a whole new set of problems and hurdles you have to overcome. Not worth the money and troubles. Remember that as an owner of the range, you are liable for every numbnut that shoots on your range. Just saying...

Reactions: deersniper

I agree, keep it private. If you find someone that likes to shoot long range, and is serious about it, then take 'em. The second you open it to the public though, you're going to have every John Q Mall-Ninja there f'in it up, and doing some really stupid stuff.

Branden

agreed, keep it private, or set up a "shooting club" with exclusive access. and i r gel us

3 negative things happen on public ranges. Negligence, suicides, and murders. I have witnessed 2 outta 3. The video I saw in the murder was actually a murder suicide. A mother shot her son then turned the gun on herself. If you keep it private then you know who is using the range. Most municipalities also want insurances, and trained staff there as well, and lets not forget EPA regulations for lead introduced to the environment. Thats why you dont see places charging only 5 bux, its usually 15-30 for range use.

Not so golden. I have a private 100 yard range. I allow a few people I know and trust to use it but still cringe at times because of the risks.

1. You don't have to do anything wrong to loose your azz in a personal injury lawsuit.

2. In most states, a signed "release of liability" isn't worth the paper it's written on.

3. Buying sufficent range insurance before you have an estabilished cash flow can be difficult, $5 a head per visit demands a LOT of traffic to cover the cost. And that's before range maintenance/mowing, etc.

4. These and more are valid MONEY reasons there are so few commercial ranges.

I bought a D5C to help with clearing land to make my own private range so I would'nt have to put up with others, be derned if I invite troubles and woes.

I like the shooting club idea so far there is no such thing for us around here . I dont count the Nra because they always want money . also Wish i had some slugs right now my brother and him are going hog killing tuesday but i dont have a gun i really really like yet . Yeah i noticed at the local range there are increasing number of mall ninjas .

416barrett,

Let me tell you something.

You must be smart about how you plan on doing this. Built it and they will come, all of "them"

So be smart, do it how you like. But keep a hell of a grasp on it or it will drown you and your family.

A LLC does wonders.

John

I have to agree on keeping it private, just be prepared for everyone around to know about it, or claim to be the owner, or know the owner personally =) My Uncle did the same thing here, we have a nice 100 acre parcel in the middle of nowhere in a valley with a nice setup out to 400 yds, plus a pistol range out to 100 yds, with nice buildings on each side. But as the word of mouth carries, and the friend of a friend of a friend finds out about it, you get some interesting people out at the range. Granted its free and there isn't always someone there to police it, just makes for some interesting encounters sometimes

I like having my own range (I only got 400 yards).

I really like the ideal of it being private. No trash, no idiots, no liability.

If your gonna do this then you need to set it up as a exclusive gun club where members buy into it yearly. We have a 1K range here and I know alot of the ins and outs of there legal assistance that had to be worked out.

Better have a good gate and lock. Change the lock and key each membership period. Cheaper than the alternatives.

Insurance, talk to the NRA about how to structure this, they have a department set up for precisely this sort of thing, even including range construction/upgrade subsidies/grants. Yeah, the NRA wants money. This is one of the things they really like to use it for. Wise up; for things like this that advance the sport of shooting, that encourage safe firearms usage, they are truly your best friend.

Bulldozers are nice, but parallel berms are kinda like mosquitoes and sledgehammers. There are more efficient ways.

A good one is safety baffling around the firing point. If you've ever seen a pergola, you understand. A framework of lumber set up not far above the bullet path will limit upward bullet angle, and the same thing on the sides will limit sidewards bullet angle, and it's a lot easier to provide (and maintain) than berms. It can serve as a defense against claims about wild/stray rounds striking property. With effective baffling, most of that schtuff is patently impossible.

Lumber is cheaper than lawsuits; use plenty.

Do it right, and it also cuts down on noise escaping from the firing line (another, not small, issue). Shrubbery (like Balsam Fir) and fast growing trees (like Lombardy Poplar) surrounding the firing point on three sides will go a long way toward sound reduction. A firing lane lined with such growth will also cut down and redirect reflected muzzle blast. Sound should go only one way, up.

When establishing the facility, invite local law enforcement down to examine, advise, and use the facility. Propose that a section be reserved and configured to support their training activities. It's the right kind of relationship to be cultivating; and honestly, any other approach is just dumb. Never, never, never, ever, ever, ever treat LE as an adversary.

Greg

+1 to everything above.
If you are going to push up parallel berms you better count on being there for more than a weekend. To make it truly safe you would need about 15 feet or more, that would take a fleet of bulldozers, loaders, and dump trucks a week to get done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 negative things happen on public ranges. Negligence, suicides, and murders. I have witnessed 2 outta 3. The video I saw in the murder was actually a murder suicide. A mother shot her son then turned the gun on herself. If you keep it private then you know who is using the range. Most municipalities also want insurances, and trained staff there as well, and lets not forget EPA regulations for lead introduced to the environment. Thats why you dont see places charging only 5 bux, its usually 15-30 for range use. </div></div>

I have a few friends that went to school with the son. I'd seen him around before but I didn't know him. That was a hard one to watch that's for sure

I have a private 600yd range. I go there every weekend and am building a cabin on the property to get even more time on it. I agree with everyone to keep it private. I have also learned to say "NO" plenty of times to friends trying to have free reign of the place. I do take my friends out and shoot but I don't let anyone go unless I'm there. One thing I did was to put the property in a trust all by itself and I got an insurance policy for it and myself. Fortunately if I were to send one flying off there is nothing for miles.

I'm a new member on here, in fact, this is my first post..(longtime lurker) I live in central Oklahoma and I have several different ranges on our families 2000 + acre ranch. We have a 100-1000 yard range behind our house, several tactical courses, and a 1400-2000 yard range further in the property. I agree with inviting local LEO's out to shoot. This is a great relationship to build. Nobody shoots my ranges without my supervision and I too have became very good at saying no to most.

In my broke days as a range owner we let groups come into the range and shoot. We had two groups that decided to shoot everything on the range, props, stands, chairs. I thought I had watched them long enough, but as soon as I turned my back the damage was done. Don't kid yourself, just because someone is male and has the cash to purchase a weapon doesn't mean they have the foggyist idea of what they are doing. I had a father come to me so his 14 year old could shoot in one of the group events. He was bragging how his son was safe and a State ranked shotgun shooter. I relented and let him shoot on the line. Next thing I see, he has dragged a Action Target Bobber delux 7 yards in front of the line and proceeds to pound holes in it with a 7mm mag. A $1200.00 target destroyed and a "I thought he knew better" response.

Having a dirt berm with a few target stands you can't get hurt bad on equipment. Just count on anything you leave on the range getting shot full of holes and have a Bob Cat handy to scoop up all the TV's Coolers, and any else they bring to shoot holes in if your not present.

You need to listen to the guys above, they speak from knowledge base, or you will be really disappointed in your final outcome.

I have a 1400yd range at my house and just let my friends shoot here. These posts kind of make me nervous about letting other people come and shoot.

I have space to go to 1830 yards where I am at right now. I wouldnt think of letting more than one or two people I know out here to shoot. Just not worth it. Unless you have constent supervision, your range will just get abused and even then it might.

Good luck building your range.
From my very limited experience i had building my own private 1000y range on my ranch. This range is just used be me and my friends....
1. Build your berms and backstops much bigger than you think you need, because they melt down a lot over time.
2. Make sure you pick an area that has line of sight at the ranges you want to shoot. Small humps in the ground can make it impossible to see targets beyond them.... especially when shooting prone. Also consider the height the grass/ weeds will get when at its tallest, they can block your view when shooting prone if you don't get your shooting berms high enough to see over them. On my range in some spots I had to build up mounds to sit my targets on or put them on t-posts to get them high enough for me to shoot due to the contour of the ground.

de19pu.jpg

2ev6h69.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: citabria</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 1400yd range at my house and just let my friends shoot here. These posts kind of make me nervous about letting other people come and shoot. </div></div>

-Put up some No Trespassing signs
-Tell your friends that they can only shoot with your permission
You are the land owner, say no if your guts say so

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck building your range.
From my very limited experience i had building my own private 1000y range on my ranch. This range is just used be me and my friends....
1. Build your berms and backstops much bigger than you think you need, because they melt down a lot over time. <span style="color: #3333FF">*not if you seed them, cover them in shredded hay and let the grass grow thick on it. The grass will hold berm together and you will be fine for a long time. Livestock will also walk them down, its just their nature.</span>
2. Make sure you pick an area that has line of sight at the ranges you want to shoot. Small humps in the ground can make it impossible to see targets beyond them.... especially when shooting prone. <span style="color: #3333FF">*If you own the equipment to make a private range these bumps should be a non issue</span> Also consider the height the grass/ weeds will get when at its tallest, they can block your view when shooting prone if you don't get your shooting berms high enough to see over them. <span style="color: #3333FF">*Get a mower?</span> On my range in some spots I had to build up mounds to sit my targets on or put them on t-posts to get them high enough for me to shoot due to the contour of the ground.

</div></div>

I built a 1000yd range on my farm also.........I know it sounds like it would be fun to have it open to the public, but believe me you don't want a bunch of illiterate rednecks sweeping you with their muzzles and leaving all kinds of trash on your property! Do what is said above.......just shoot with your close shooting buddies.

Our range is private and the yearly dues are steep. We have problems a plenty and often have a hard time finding out who did what when there are incidents. We spent the better part of a summer trying to chase down who was shooting up some of our steel with AR15's at close range, and often with ss109s. Good steel is very expensive. Signs do not deter the morons among us.
The problem at our range isn't illiterate rednecks actually the opposite. Me and a fellow member were treated to the muzzle end of a Garand by one of our yankee doctor members, so education and geographic origin mean nothing. His educated answer when told to point that F@#K&^G muzzle downrange? " It isn't loaded."
Keep it private and keep it safe.

Yep, just another reason I bought moved to a house with a large tract of land and built my own range. Yeah, had to make some sacrifices, but it was worth. Now me, and a few select friends, can shoot whenever we want without having to worry about jerkwads messing things up. And like the others have said, the jerkwads WILL mess it up.

I have my own very private range for my family and CLOSE friends. 1 is a 100 yard range from my front porch and I use tractor tires filled with concrete and dirt for a back stop. It even stops my 50 BMG with 647 gr Armor Piercing Incendiary bullets. I’ve also got several steel gongs made with Armor plate ranging from 25 to 100 yards. If I want to do some long range shooting I’ve got 400 acres where I can shoot tannerite and shoot up to 1 ¼ mile. I do have to watch what I’m shooting at with the 50 BMG so I don’t start fires. The terrain there has big enough valleys to keep bullets from escaping. I did have a bunch of guys from the Concealed Carry Forum come out camping there a couple of years ago and we had a ball shooting lots of tannerite and steel gongs. One thing about Oklahoma ranch land has more protection then most states have in case of accidents.

Thanks for the input gentlemen,a small group (6 guys) have a 200 yard range and planning to build 750 yard range.

The NRA Range Source Book needs to be followed by the letter if you want to go public and also want to CYA.
It is recognized as the way to design and operate an approved range.

If someone knows where I can download a PDF version, please post it up.

I belong to 2 differnt ranges.....one I am on the executive board of.....we control who becomes a member...no mall nijas...no morons. I got the organization incorporated....we bought liability insurance to protect ourselves. It is in a natural valley with pushed up berms and back stops.

The key is to control who shoots. The other range lets any yutz that can pay the membership fee join. Stuff like backers, the shoot house and car props for IDPA matches, trash cans, and the outhouse get shot up.

Once again....control who shoots. Protect yourself with incorporation, liability insurance, Directors and Officers insurance, and again CONTROL WHO SHOOTS.

I have a PRIVATE short distance range in my back yard and also a longer distance one on my tree farm. I only allow close friends to shoot there and only when I can actually be on site and actively participating. I tell them upfront that I will call them out on ANY mishandling of firearms and if I have to do it more than once they will not get invited back. I try and keep it to one or two friends shooting with me at one time. I told a friend who wanted to sight in his deer rifle on my tree farm when I could not be present to join the local gun club, which he did. I don't see any point in being a "NICE GUY" and letting freinds bring their friends to shoot at my ranges when I am not present.

also if you plan on taking anyone there to shoot, plan on removing any steel targets! if word gets out about your place people will shoot up any targets left out and possibly injure themselves.

even at my local leo range "hunters" sneak on and shoot up our plate rack targets at 25 yards with high power deer rifles and ruin them.