• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a CQB AR-15 Pistol, need some parts advice

dscl

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2021
Illinois
Question for the builders…

I’m planning to build a CQB AR-15 Pistol (live in IL, so can‘t be a SBR or have a suppressor) based off a Daniels Defense stripped MK18 upper. If you were doing the same what would you use for the following to complete the build:
  • Bolt Carrier Group
  • Lower
  • Trigger
  • Parts kit
  • Flash hider
  • Tube/buffer/spring (planning to use a Law Tactical folder)
Thanks

For a trigger I would definitely consider a hiperfire edt, my personal favorite and very affordable. Parts kits there are so many about the same just pick one(colt, bcm ect), just stay away from the bargain bin(Anderson, psa, strike industries). Bcg I usually use toolcraft, reasonably priced and reliable. Buffer tubes are generally the same from a quality brand, a few differences but not enough for me to spend more on one verses another, if price is equal I normally prefer the pof just because the lengthened tabs lend more support to the bcg. Lowers so many choices, my last 4 builds were Aero, sharps brothers, spike’s, and 2A armament. If your looking to save a few ounces 2A armament, for value Aero.

For a trigger I would definitely consider a hiperfire edt, my personal favorite and very affordable. Parts kits there are so many about the same just pick one(colt, bcm ect), just stay away from the bargain bin(Anderson, psa, strike industries). Bcg I usually use toolcraft, reasonably priced and reliable. Buffer tubes are generally the same from a quality brand, a few differences but not enough for me to spend more on one verses another, if price is equal I normally prefer the pof just because the lengthened tabs lend more support to the bcg. Lowers so many choices, my last 4 builds were Aero, sharps brothers, spike’s, and 2A armament. If your looking to save a few ounces 2A armament, for value Aero.
Thanks, I appreciate the response!

I’m planning to build a CQB AR-15 Pistol (live in IL, so can‘t be a SBR or have a suppressor) based off a Daniels Defense stripped MK18 upper. If you were doing the same what would you use for the following to complete the build:
  • Bolt Carrier Group
  • Lower
  • Trigger
  • Parts kit
  • Flash hider
Thanks
BCG - RCA, BCM, lots of good milspec choices.
Lower- Depends on if you want ambi. Milspec lowers are just that, but if a certain roll mark brings you joy buy it.
Trigger- Geissle millions upon millions of rounds down range, a very proven setup. (There are other very good triggers but this is CQB Pistol).
Parts kit - CMMG, BCM, Aero, and just to mention Geissle. The Geissle kits come with one of their triggers which is nice.
Flash Hider - Personal preference. The only time I don't use a standard A2 is when I am using a can that requires some kind of mounting system like Dead air Keymo.
Tube - I am starting to sound like a Geissle commercial. I like their flat wire spring. I have H1, H2, and H3 weights.

You might pay a little more but I’d go with a DD lower and BCG, A5 recoil system, and a LPK from BCM or SOLGW with a mil spec + type trigger or a Geissele if you want to be baller. I prefer guns with matched receivers/rails, and they generally retain value better.

Bear in mind that with the recent rumblings in the ATF, and a rule change possibly due in December, you could be building a SBR regardless of the stock/brace that you affix to the gun. Maybe there won’t be a change, and maybe any change that takes place will be challenged under WV v EPA, but there is a possibility that in the very near future that putting any brace in the gun will make it a SBR. Find that work sheet that is floating around and study it before making any expensive purchases…

Bear in mind that with the recent rumblings in the ATF, and a rule change possibly due in December, you could be building a SBR regardless of the stock/brace that you affix to the gun. Maybe there won’t be a change, and maybe any change that takes place will be challenged under WV v EPA, but there is a possibility that in the very near future that putting any brace in the gun will make it a SBR. Find that work sheet that is floating around and study it before making any expensive purchases…
FUCK THEM......

• Bolt Carrier Group
  • Lower
  • Trigger
  • Parts kit
  • Flash hider
Thanks
I'd say always include a budget. Building AR's can get nuts. Also are you aiming to be as clone correct as you can or doing your own variant? I did my own version of a MK18.

BCG - Sand Cutter. Bootleg Adjustable if you want options and convenience. SOLGW. FCD.

Lower - Aero at the minimum. PWS. SOLGW. FCD. Noveske. Can get a little fancy if you want. Radian.

Trigger - Geissele. ALG if super budget.

Parts Kit - SOLGW LPK. The bare one without grip or FCG.

Flash Hider - Will it be suppressed? Then QD. Would you want a foregrip? It is possible to hit the 26.1" OAL pinned/welded to be "other firearm". Not familiar with your state on that one. If suppressed, that limits your options. Definitely flash hider for the short barrel, I prefer something with mitigation (options). So Surefire flash hider that can use the Surefire Warden and eventually host for a Surefire RC2.

Tube/Buffer/Spring - FCD/VLTOR A5 and Sprinco Springs. I think I went with a JP SCS in mine with adapter and bottom plug for length.

If you're interested in my build list, let me know. I have it on a spreadsheet somewhere, just can't access it right now. Since the picture I did get the matching front sight and melted that suppressor cover.

1658873916992.jpeg

Take your pic of lower....I'd use JSE Billet (mega)....MEGA, spikes...lots of choices

Take your pic of lower....I'd use JSE Billet (mega)....MEGA, spikes...lots of choices

I wonder if the 2 Mega lowers they have are actual Mega before Zev. Wonder if they kept the quality. Interesting. Thought Mega stuff was just done and gone, especially out this far.

I think the LaRue MBT-2S is the best trigger for the money. It's 90% as good as the Geissele SSA for around 50% of the cost.

If you're buying the DD upper, I'd get a DD BCG while you're at it.

I wonder if the 2 Mega lowers they have are actual Mega before Zev. Wonder if they kept the quality. Interesting. Thought Mega stuff was just done and gone, especially out this far.

Same quality. I have been buying them for years from JSE and as recently as a few months ago.... they get them.in regularly. Other places have Mega sets in stock too...I think Rainier does as well

I think the LaRue MBT-2S is the best trigger for the money. It's 90% as good as the Geissele SSA for around 50% of the cost.

If you're buying the DD upper, I'd get a DD BCG while you're at it.

Love the LaRue MBT-2S....my go to Non -Geissele trigger....just put one on a 11.5" sbr and love it.

Reactions: Rocketvapor