• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a home range, advice sought

hollowoutadime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Teaching my daughters how to shoot, I decided to build a range at the back of the property. It's coming along but it's not all figured out.

I will mostly be shooting .22 from a suppressed handgun at bowling pins, or at paper targets over some sacrificial plywood or in front of my antique bullet trap.
On occasion, I may shoot 9mm. I started on this Tuesday, and by the weekend it will be 6' tall on three sides. What you see are 4x6" treated beams, bolted and concreted in place.
My intent is that these don't take any direct fire, I'm looking for something sacrificial in front. Sand, steel, or railroad ties. Problem I see with sand is getting it there and not collapsing.

Most of this will be shot from the 20'-30' range.
I'll shoot some 6br from 100yds, but that'll be into the a bottom corner, easy to manage. I have a concrete mixer if it matters.

Damn, wood has gotten expensive. Since I have a good foundation, I can go higher if necessary.
What would you do and tell me about ricochets.

CentrifugalBulletTrap.jpg
IMG_20200917_175527255.jpg
CentrifugalBulletTrap.jpg

You could use lean-to steel sheets or trench plates to divert bullets into the ground (starting from the top of your posts). Works for cast and jacketed pistol bullets, will depend on thickness for rifle bullets:

101_0862.jpg

images

I'd like something this big:

IMAG0904.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: smoooth1